Will I regret keeping a good camera in my trunk?

Old August 4th 15, 05:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Will I regret keeping a good camera in my trunk?

When I buy a new camera body, the previous one ends up in a closet. It
crossed my mind to put a walkaround lens on an earlier body, and throw
it in the trunk of my car, so I always have a decent camera with me -
one that is good in low light. But it gets hot around here, and the
car could end up sitting in the sun in 110 degree heat. Does anyone
know if this can cause a problem? I'm mainly talking about the
possible volatilization of materials inside the camera or lens that
could end up leaving a film on the sensor, or on the inside of the
lens. Anyone have any idea if there is a risk of that?

I don't think there's a risk of any other heat damage.
Old August 4th 15, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-08-04 04:05:04 +0000, Bill W said:

When I buy a new camera body, the previous one ends up in a closet. It
crossed my mind to put a walkaround lens on an earlier body, and throw
it in the trunk of my car, so I always have a decent camera with me -
one that is good in low light. But it gets hot around here, and the
car could end up sitting in the sun in 110 degree heat. Does anyone
know if this can cause a problem? I'm mainly talking about the
possible volatilization of materials inside the camera or lens that
could end up leaving a film on the sensor, or on the inside of the
lens. Anyone have any idea if there is a risk of that?

I don't think there's a risk of any other heat damage.

You are probably better off keeping it in a cheap soft bag (I have a
number of those) which will provide a degree of insulation. Then rather
than keeping it in the trunk, put that bag on the floor behind the
passenger seat. That way it is reasonably afforded some protection from
temperature extremes, and it is easily reachable from within the car.
You can also cover it with a towel or small blanket which will provide
an additional insullating layer

Savageduck

Old August 4th 15, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Bill W wrote:

When I buy a new camera body, the previous one ends up in a closet.
It crossed my mind to put a walkaround lens on an earlier body, and
throw it in the trunk of my car, so I always have a decent camera
with me - one that is good in low light. But it gets hot around
here, and the car could end up sitting in the sun in 110 degree
heat. Does anyone know if this can cause a problem? I'm mainly
talking about the possible volatilization of materials inside the
camera or lens that could end up leaving a film on the sensor, or on
the inside of the lens. Anyone have any idea if there is a risk of
that?

I don't think there's a risk of any other heat damage.

The temperature of the trunk is not as high as in the car, since the sun doesn't
shine there. It's still hot of course, but I don't think there would be any
problem.

--
Sandman
Old August 4th 15, 10:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 21:05:04 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

When I buy a new camera body, the previous one ends up in a closet. It
crossed my mind to put a walkaround lens on an earlier body, and throw
it in the trunk of my car, so I always have a decent camera with me -
one that is good in low light. But it gets hot around here, and the
car could end up sitting in the sun in 110 degree heat. Does anyone
know if this can cause a problem? I'm mainly talking about the
possible volatilization of materials inside the camera or lens that
could end up leaving a film on the sensor, or on the inside of the
lens. Anyone have any idea if there is a risk of that?

I don't think there's a risk of any other heat damage.

I've carried cameras in my trunk for maybe 40 years, and never had any
problems. Ive kept them in hard-shell cases lined with rubber (Pelican
for the last 25 years) one of which served to protect all my camera
gear during a collision with a tree at 60mph.

Eric Stevens
Old August 4th 15, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/4/2015 12:05 AM, Bill W wrote:
When I buy a new camera body, the previous one ends up in a closet. It
crossed my mind to put a walkaround lens on an earlier body, and throw
it in the trunk of my car, so I always have a decent camera with me -
one that is good in low light. But it gets hot around here, and the
car could end up sitting in the sun in 110 degree heat. Does anyone
know if this can cause a problem? I'm mainly talking about the
possible volatilization of materials inside the camera or lens that
could end up leaving a film on the sensor, or on the inside of the
lens. Anyone have any idea if there is a risk of that?

I don't think there's a risk of any other heat damage.

I am not sure. But in hot weather I keep the camera in a portable
electric car cooler, (together with some bottled ice water.)

--
PeterN
Old August 4th 15, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MB[_4_]

On 04/08/2015 05:05, Bill W wrote:
When I buy a new camera body, the previous one ends up in a closet. It
crossed my mind to put a walkaround lens on an earlier body, and throw
it in the trunk of my car, so I always have a decent camera with me -
one that is good in low light. But it gets hot around here, and the
car could end up sitting in the sun in 110 degree heat. Does anyone
know if this can cause a problem? I'm mainly talking about the
possible volatilization of materials inside the camera or lens that
could end up leaving a film on the sensor, or on the inside of the
lens. Anyone have any idea if there is a risk of that?

I don't think there's a risk of any other heat damage.

Reminds me, I keep meaning to put a memory card in my old Digital IXUS
and keep in the car though it is rare for me not be carrying a camera.
I keep old GPS in the car also so in the event of an incident in a
remote area I could quickly get the NGR of the location.

Old August 4th 15, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 12:11:39 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I keep a Nikon D50 with an attached 28/80 lens in the trunk of the
car. I bought it very cheap as a back-up camera. I am a bit
concerned about heat because this is Florida, and it gets hot here.
But, it's a camera that is strictly a backup. I haven't used it this
year.

This sounds similar to my situation. If you get a chance, and it's
been there in the heat for a while, can you look to see if there is
any film on the sensor, or the inside of the lens? That's what I'm
really concerned about. I could always clean the sensor, even though
I'd rather not, but if the lens gets cloudy internally, I can't fix
that.
Old August 5th 15, 08:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
charles

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 21:21:53 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-08-04 04:05:04 +0000, Bill W said:

[...]

Potential problem here. In a warm humid climate with an air
conditioned car, I grabbed the camera, jumped out of the car and
watched the scene turn to fog.
Old August 5th 15, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-08-04 04:05:04 +0000, Bill W said:

[...]

What you should get is a fog blower. Plug it in, and it blows away the
humidity, and fog. Professional photographers use them when they want to
shoot an ad with a clear blue sky. If they want a foggy look, they just
turn it around, and the clear sky becomes foggy.

--
PeterN
Old August 5th 15, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bruce Guenter

On 2015-08-04, Bill W wrote:
When I buy a new camera body, the previous one ends up in a closet. It
crossed my mind to put a walkaround lens on an earlier body, and throw
it in the trunk of my car, so I always have a decent camera with me -
one that is good in low light. But it gets hot around here, and the
car could end up sitting in the sun in 110 degree heat. Does anyone
know if this can cause a problem?

I don't know if heat will be a big concern. It hasn't been for me when
I've left mine in the trunk, but that's been for at most a day. However,
I left my camera in the back of my car during a couple of trips on
gravel roads, and discovered that dust was a real issue. Make sure
whatever case you put your camera into can protect it from contaminants,
because your trunk is probably not perfectly sealed.

--
Bruce Guenter http://untroubled.org/