5 problems with digicams - solutions/recommendations?

Old February 9th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default 5 problems with digicams - solutions/recommendations?

"Steve Mackie" wrote:
HP Photosmart M22
HP Photosmart R817

I am by no means an expert, but I'd stay away from the HPs.

Those particular models, or HP in general?

IMO, stay away from all HPs.

Okay, but what is your reason for this opinion?

Opinions rarely need reasons, but mine is "you get what you pay for."

So then you dislike HP cameras based solely on your personal price rating
system and not on any specific criteria of their cameras. Ooookay.

Jon

Old February 9th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Opinions rarely need reasons, but mine is "you get what you pay for."

So then you dislike HP cameras based solely on your personal price rating
system and not on any specific criteria of their cameras. Ooookay.

Never said I dislike HP cameras, I simply said "you get what you pay for,"
so therefore I recommend you stay away from HP cameras. Perhaps by a camera
in the same price range from another manufacturer.

HP cameras also seem to have eluded Steve's Digicams "best" list.

"You get what you pay for" is far from my "personal price rating system."
It's common knowledge. That and "if it sounds too good to be true, it
probably is."

C'est la vie.

Steve

Old February 9th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Steve Mackie" wrote:
canon problem group:rec.photo.digital - 23,300 hits (4.4%)
nikon problem group:rec.photo.digital - 20,300 hits (7.9%)
olympus problem group:rec.photo.digital - 15,700 hits (9.2%)
sony problem group:rec.photo.digital - 8,670 hits (7.3%)
kodak problem group:rec.photo.digital - 12,600 hits (12%)
fuji problem group:rec.photo.digital - 6,230 hits (8.9%)
hp problem group:rec.photo.digital - 7,720 hits (16.3%)
minolta problem group:rec.photo.digital - 4,120 hits (10.8%)
casio problem group:rec.photo.digital - 1,450 (11%)
pentax problem group:rec.photo.digital - 812 hits (8.9%)
panasonic problem group:rec.photo.digital - 737 (9.8%)
konica problem group:rec.photo.digital - 305 hits (12.7%)
benq problem group:rec.photo.digital - 6 hits (10%)

Notice the high percentage of 'hp problem.'

Completely useless. All you did was search for posts with "hp" and
"problems". Are these problems with HP cameras? Problems with HP printers?
Problems with HP rebates? Problems with HP scanners? Problems with the HP
website? Problems finding the "on" button? Problems downloading a help
video from HP? Problems with a canon but not an HP camera?

If you search for "hp problem", *with the quotes*, you only get eight
results, BTW, two of which reference your "research" above.

Jon

Old February 9th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Steve Mackie" wrote:
Opinions rarely need reasons, but mine is "you get what you pay for."

So then you dislike HP cameras based solely on your personal price

rating
system and not on any specific criteria of their cameras. Ooookay.

Never said I dislike HP cameras, I simply said "you get what you pay for,"
so therefore I recommend you stay away from HP cameras. Perhaps by a

camera
in the same price range from another manufacturer.

HP cameras also seem to have eluded Steve's Digicams "best" list.

"You get what you pay for" is far from my "personal price rating system."
It's common knowledge. That and "if it sounds too good to be true, it
probably is."

Your basing your opinion on nothing more than baseless conjecture on your
part, and on no real data about the cameras themselves. Good luck with
that.

Oh, and you really need to learn how to properly attribute your quotes.

Jon

Old February 9th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Your basing your opinion on nothing more than baseless conjecture on your
part, and on no real data about the cameras themselves. Good luck with
that.

Yup. In fact, I've never even held a HP camera in my hand. I don't recall
seeing them at any of the camera shops around here.

Oh, and you really need to learn how to properly attribute your quotes.

Not sure what you mean by that, but I'm assuming since you are starting to
grasp at straws you need to bring in attacks on other subjects.

Steve

Old February 10th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jon Danniken wrote:
"Steve Mackie" wrote:
[...]

Your "Your" for "You're" ain't that cool, neither.

--
Frank ess

Old February 10th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Frank ess" wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
Your basing your opinion on nothing more than baseless conjecture on
your part, and on no real data about the cameras themselves. Good
luck with that.

Oh, and you really need to learn how to properly attribute your
quotes.

Your "Your" for "You're" ain't that cool, neither.

What's your point, Frank? Butting in just to flame me for bad grammar?

Jon

Old February 10th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Steve Mackie" wrote:
Your basing your opinion on nothing more than baseless conjecture on

your
part, and on no real data about the cameras themselves. Good luck with
that.

Yup. In fact, I've never even held a HP camera in my hand. I don't recall
seeing them at any of the camera shops around here.

Thank you for clarifying this. I'll remember to take your opinions as
baseless conjecture on your part in the future.

Oh, and you really need to learn how to properly attribute your quotes.

Not sure what you mean by that, but I'm assuming since you are starting to
grasp at straws you need to bring in attacks on other subjects.

Not at all; if that is what you consider to be an attack, you might want to
grow some thicker skin. I was simply pointing out that you do not
attribute text you quote, in case you cared about such things.

Jon

Old February 10th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jon Danniken wrote:
"Frank ess" wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
Your basing your opinion on nothing more than baseless conjecture
on
your part, and on no real data about the cameras themselves. Good
luck with that.

Oh, and you really need to learn how to properly attribute your
quotes.

Your "Your" for "You're" ain't that cool, neither.

What's your point, Frank? Butting in just to flame me for bad
grammar?

Read real well, don't we?

Old February 10th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Yup. In fact, I've never even held a HP camera in my hand. I don't recall
seeing them at any of the camera shops around here.

Thank you for clarifying this. I'll remember to take your opinions as
baseless conjecture on your part in the future.

I do not run a review website, nor do I work for a reviewing outfit and I
also do not have the resources to go around testing out every piece of
equipment on the market today. Opinions were sought, I gave mine, far from
baseless:
1. No mention of them on Steve's Digicam 'Best' list.
2. No where are they to be found in camera shops.

Moral of the story, when asked for an opinion, don't fight the responses.
Doesn't matter what the subject is, someone can say "stay away from X, Y and
Z. Stick with A, B or C." Take it with a grain of salt until a few more
Don't say, "I don't trust your opinion so I'm going to waste our time
agrueing over how you formed it." It doesn't really matter if I found it
taste funny when I licked it so I think it sucks. MY opinion is to stay away
from HP, if you don't like my opinion, ignore it.

Oh, and you really need to learn how to properly attribute your quotes.

Not sure what you mean by that, but I'm assuming since you are starting
grasp at straws you need to bring in attacks on other subjects.

Not at all; if that is what you consider to be an attack, you might want
grow some thicker skin. I was simply pointing out that you do not
attribute text you quote, in case you cared about such things.

I thought I do. I truncate to end the million '' that some threads have.