5 problems with digicams - solutions/recommendations?

Old February 6th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default 5 problems with digicams - solutions/recommendations?

Hello,

I've recently had the occasion to take pics with two different digicams, and I've experienced similar notorious problems. As I
intend to buy one for myself, I'd be very grateful for comments and hints on the following:
1. blur - I've noticed that digicams (even w/o using zoom) are much more sensitive to movement than trads; which of the models (in
the list given below) have good picture stabilization, and which not?
2. distortion - the lenses in some models warp straight lines and planes - again, which models (perhaps there are some with aspheric
lens)?
3. lightening - in darker rooms/by night sources of light dominate; I took a pic in the Kyiv underground, and only got neon lights
on light-brown background - what solutions/models should I seek?
4. red eyes - notorious; I've heard that the remote-control test is reliable, but you don't always have one at hand -
recommendations?
5. red background - in some situations, esp. in rooms, the red diod irradiates the target longer, and then the photo comes out as if
done through a red filter - how to avoid this?

Below is a list of models from which I will most probably pick one - please add your comments concerning the above problems, if
you've had experience with these:

HP Photosmart M22
HP Photosmart R817
Kodak EasyShare C310
Kodak EasyShare Z700
Kodak EasyShare Z740
Kodak EasyShare Z7590
Nikon Coolpix 4800
Nikon Coolpix L1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2
Samsung Digimax A55W

Loads of thanks in advance!

Greets

bj

Old February 6th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

HP Photosmart M22
HP Photosmart R817
Kodak EasyShare C310
Kodak EasyShare Z700
Kodak EasyShare Z740
Kodak EasyShare Z7590
Nikon Coolpix 4800
Nikon Coolpix L1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2
Samsung Digimax A55W

I am by no means an expert, but I'd stay away from the HPs. What are the
reasons Canon is not on your list?

Old February 6th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:53:47 +0100, bj wrote:
[...]

Some thoughts on some of your issues:

The blurring problem can be mitigated by optical image stabilizers. I
think that the two Panasonics are the only ones on that list with
stabilizers, though there are plenty of models _not_ on the list that do
have stabilizers.

Red-eye is a function of the distance between the lens and the flash. To
minimize it, you want a relatively large body, preferably with a pop-up
flash. The Kodak 740 is, I believe, the largest of the bunch, so it
would probably be the best at minimizing red-eye.

I'm not sure what is going on with your last point. Red illuminators are
typically used to help the camera focus; they shouldn't be on during the
exposure itself.

-dms
Old February 6th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"bj" wrote in :

5. red background - in some situations, esp. in rooms, the red diod
irradiates the target longer, and then the photo comes out as if done
through a red filter - how to avoid this?

Red is on a longer wavelength of light so it makes sense it turns up in
longer exposures:
http://www.ems.psu.edu/Courses/earth002/03012D.gif

--
My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
Two Preson Bike: http://timchuma.com/twopresonbike/
Old February 7th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"bj" wrote in message
[...]

Hi.

1. Blur. Just exactly the same as film cameras, unless of course you are
acting the Idiot and taking pictures at arms length, using the LCD. Use a
higher shutter speed or a Tripod, or get one with IS.

2. Every lens has some degree of distortion.
If you want minimum lens aberations, be prepared to buy a SLR, and then
spend a lot of money on prime lenses.

3. Lightening. I presume you mean Exposure Control. Learn how to Meter,
and know when to apply Exposure Compensation. Don't blame the Camera if you
don't know what you are doing.

4. Red Eye. With small cameras it is inevitable. Use an Off Camera Flash
which is a reasonable distance from the lens.

5. Learn about light sources and Colour Balance. Tungsten Lighting is Red,
any picture taken under that will be Red.

I suspect that your problem is a lack of understanding of the basic
principles of photography. Buy a book on How to Take Photographs.

Roy G

Old February 7th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Steve Mackie" wrote:
HP Photosmart M22
HP Photosmart R817

I am by no means an expert, but I'd stay away from the HPs.

Those particular models, or HP in general?

Jon
Old February 8th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

HP Photosmart M22
HP Photosmart R817

I am by no means an expert, but I'd stay away from the HPs.

Those particular models, or HP in general?

IMO, stay away from all HPs.

Old February 9th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Steve Mackie" wrote:
HP Photosmart M22
HP Photosmart R817

I am by no means an expert, but I'd stay away from the HPs.

Those particular models, or HP in general?

IMO, stay away from all HPs.

Okay, but what is your reason for this opinion?

Jon
Old February 9th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

HP Photosmart M22
HP Photosmart R817

I am by no means an expert, but I'd stay away from the HPs.

Those particular models, or HP in general?

IMO, stay away from all HPs.

Okay, but what is your reason for this opinion?

Opinions rarely need reasons, but mine is "you get what you pay for."

Steve

Old February 9th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Here's sort of a guage to use when deciding which brand to buy (not perfect,
but good):

Google Group Search:

canon group:rec.photo.digital - 524,000 hits
nikon group:rec.photo.digital - 258,000 hits
olympus group:rec.photo.digital - 171,000 hits
sony group:rec.photo.digital - 119,000 hits
kodak group:rec.photo.digital - 104,000 hits
fuji group:rec.photo.digital - 70,000 hits
hp group:rec.photo.digital - 47,400 hits
minolta group:rec.photo.digital - 38,300 hits
casio group:rec.photo.digital - 13,200 hits
pentax group:rec.photo.digital - 9,060 hits
panasonic group:rec.photo.digital - 7,550 hits
konica group:rec.photo.digital - 2,400 hits
benq group:rec.photo.digital - 60 hits

canon problem group:rec.photo.digital - 23,300 hits (4.4%)
nikon problem group:rec.photo.digital - 20,300 hits (7.9%)
olympus problem group:rec.photo.digital - 15,700 hits (9.2%)
sony problem group:rec.photo.digital - 8,670 hits (7.3%)
kodak problem group:rec.photo.digital - 12,600 hits (12%)
fuji problem group:rec.photo.digital - 6,230 hits (8.9%)
hp problem group:rec.photo.digital - 7,720 hits (16.3%)
minolta problem group:rec.photo.digital - 4,120 hits (10.8%)
casio problem group:rec.photo.digital - 1,450 (11%)
pentax problem group:rec.photo.digital - 812 hits (8.9%)
panasonic problem group:rec.photo.digital - 737 (9.8%)
konica problem group:rec.photo.digital - 305 hits (12.7%)
benq problem group:rec.photo.digital - 6 hits (10%)

Notice the high percentage of 'hp problem.' However, there are issues
with this guage. People who buy brands like Kodak, HP, Sony and Fuji are not
as "enthusiastic" or "tech minded" to come on UseNet to discuss their
camera. IMO they would be more likely to make a post as a last resort to
solve some issue they are having. Plus, Canon I believe has the widest
assortment of cameras on the market, so there is a model for everyone. I
also believe Canon and Nikon are the two brands enthusiasts prefer, a good
reason for the high post count.

Hope that helps. It was kinda fun for me.