"Your money is better spent on an SLR". Is it?

Old December 11th 04, 12:35 PM
Larry

In article , says...
Larry wrote:

In article ,
says...
why not put the camera and lens on a card,
and use it for the two shoots and the busy season?

After April first I have a 2 or 3 day shoot every weekend until October, and
I'de like to have it by then.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

I just spent everything I earned (with photography) last year getting my
company debt free... I dont want to start over again, and Im not in a
particular hurry.

i guess what confuses me is that you are sure
that you will earn enough to pay it off in 90 days,
but not sure enough to put the money on the card.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

I just got the cards cleared up and dont want to start 'em all over again.

There is that and the fact that Im not young and healthy, and I could
possibly miss an event or two due to illness.

My photo company is a sole proprietorship with 0 employees, so if I were to
get the "Flu" there is nobody to pay the bills. I try to keep that in mind
and manage accordingly.

If I didn't have several chronic illnesses, I probably would be more likely
to do as you say.(my income from my "regular job" is good and steady and
continues through illness, but using it to support my photo company is a "co-
mingling of funds" that my wife would get a little annoyed with).

Since I have two cameras that can handle the next two or three events, I'll
wait 'till I have the money "in hand". Its just an old "swamp yankee" thing.

My customers have been satisfied (so far) and that is the most important
thing to me. I know the pictures will be "better" from a D20 (or something
similar).

Doing it my way gives me more time for decision making about which
acsesssories, flash units and lenses to buy, and more "face time" with people
using dslr cameras discussing how to keep the dust out, and the best methods
of getting it out when it gets in.

The "DUST" part of the discussion might well be the biggest deal maker as far
as which camera to get. (dust getting inside a camera (digital Rebel) lost a
whole weekends work for me last summer, and it got inside without me EVER
opening the camera).

When I was using film, I used the same two cameras regularly for almost 30
years, and didn't retire them until I couldn't get them repaired any longer.
(one with a zoom lens which I never removed, and one with a wide angle lens)
Both were fully manual, with only built in metering which I never trusted
anyway, so Im used to doing things "the hard way".

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Old December 11th 04, 03:35 PM
Michael Meissner

Larry writes:

The "DUST" part of the discussion might well be the biggest deal maker as far
as which camera to get. (dust getting inside a camera (digital Rebel) lost a
whole weekends work for me last summer, and it got inside without me EVER
opening the camera).

On off the wall suggestion regarding dust would be to get one of the underwater
cases for whatever camera you are using. The good ones are not cheap, but
given the environment, it might be worthwhile. Two names that I've heard about

EWA marine: http://www.ewa-marine.com/
Ikelite: http://www.ikelite.com/

At a lower level, but might meet your needs as well is:

Aquapac: http://www.aquapac.net/

Note, I have not used any of these, but saw other people discussing them.

--
Michael Meissner
email:

Old December 11th 04, 05:01 PM

I used a Minolta SLR in the '70s.
Over the years, I added lenses, bellows, closeups, etc.
While it wasn't "Nikon quality", I had the pleasure of ;

Seeing a photo opportunity,
getting the proper attachment from my bag,
and taking a "perfect" picture every time.

Whether it was a sunset, a bug on a leaf, or a wedding,
I had the tools to make the job "do-able"

I got out of SLR's in the 90's when I "simplified"
I've kicked my ass ever since.......

I don't know how many "point-and-shoot"/zoom cameras
I've tried since..... the results are always....... snapshots !

rj