"16-bit" mode.

Old November 22nd 04, 05:00 AM

In message ,
Chris Cox wrote:

I do know that for anyone else doing a similar experiment (inside and
outside Adobe), they get the full 32769 values.

I just came up with an idea to check if it was the internal
representation or the "info" tool itself, and sure enough it was the
info tool that was at fault.

What I did was open the "levels" dialog, and set the input max to 2.
Then, I moved the info tool over the pixels, and sure enough, there was
not a direct correspondence between the "old" and "new" values. the
first 0 became a 0; the second 0 became a 52; all numbers that are
multiples of 52 were present in the new values (no gaps).

The info tool is toast in 16-bit greyscale mode.
--

John P Sheehy

Old November 22nd 04, 04:45 PM
Timo Autiokari

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:10:45 GMT, "Mike Russell"

Gama encoding compresses some data values, and there is
no reason to do this to raw data from a spacecraft.

And, there is no reason to do that to images from digital cameras
either, just like Adobe shows to us, the ARC (like most of the other
conversion sw too) perform all the processing in the linear domain.
Why, for the same reason why linear processing os done in scientific
imaging also, to avoid the Gamma Induced Errors.

Timo Autiokari http://www.aim-dtp.net