Travel Camera

Old November 19th 14, 11:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default Travel Camera

On 14/11/2014 12:55, Trundle wrote:
I'm travelling to Nepal next year to do some trekking and am looking to
whether I should upgrade my Panasonic Lumix TZ10? I would ideally want to
take my Canon EOS 70D but it is just too big and bulky, so am looking for a
camera which will best capture the landscapes/people/wildlife. A useful zoom
range would be good too!
TIA

I had similar requirements, and ended up with a Panasonic GX7 with
14-140 mm Panasonic and 9-18 mm (Olympus) zooms. Light, compact, and
excellent image quality.

--
Cheers,
David
Old November 19th 14, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Trundle

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'm looking at the Panasonic GX7 as
I'm familiar with this range

Old November 20th 14, 08:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 19/11/2014 20:05, Trundle wrote:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'm looking at the Panasonic GX7 as
I'm familiar with this range

What I actually bought was the GX7 with the 20/1.7 pancake lens as a
bundle, as I liked the idea of a large aperture as it has proved useful
in the past when photographing aurora hand-held. Also makes for a very
compact item to carry. I bought the 14-140 mm and 9-18 mm as separate
purchases, and later a 100-300 which was on special offer. Haven't used
the long lens in anger as yet, but the wide-angle is permanently in my
camera bag.

--
Cheers,
David
Old November 24th 14, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Douglas Johnson[_2_]

Mort wrote:

For light weight travel and simplicity, I use a Canon PowerShot S-120 on
trips.

Let me second that. I've had one for the last six months and really like it. It
shoots RAW and does decent video as well. Do take several extra batteries and
SD cards, video chews up both very quickly.

-- Doug
Old November 24th 14, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

RJH wrote:
I'm in a similar position to the OP. Problem with your otherwise
excellent suggestion for me at least is the lack of zoom reach - I use
the 12x a lot. In decent light it works very well indeed.

12x zoom means more size and weight, slower aperture, and more
expensive. I find that at ISO 200, I can crop out my 5x zoom shots to 2x
or 3x and still get sharp pix. I equate a travel camera with a
pocketable one. Others may wish to carry a large camera bag.

Mort Linder

---