How much EXIF information is tracked by photo sharing sites?

Old October 28th 14, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Davoud

Default How much EXIF information is tracked by photo sharing sites?

Usenet Account:
In Photoshop if you use "Save for web" the EXIF is stripped, if you use
"save as" it's kept.

Not so, at least for recent versions of Photoshop. In CS6, CC, and CC
2014, saving metadata is an option in the "Save for Web" dialog.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old October 28th 14, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Martin Brown

On 28/10/2014 16:54, A. Beck. wrote:

How much EXIF information is tracked by photo sharing sites?
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

I often post photos to photo-sharing sites, whether for the
purpose of social networking (pinterest, facebook, etc)
or for Usenet posts (tinypic, flickr, etc) or for personal
sharing (iCloud, dropbox, google drive, etc).

The EXIF, as you know, can reveal exactly where and when
the photo was taken, and even what camera was used, and, of
course, the time and date, etc, the combination of which could
easily reveal intensely personal information.

You have to assume that any metadata like EXIF or text you post into the
internet will be scanned by malevolent agents now or in the future.

Basically if you are worried strip the EXIF data off and/or resample the
image down to a smaller size and watermark it. That way when someone
attempts to use your copyright images without permission you can if
necessary stamp on them. I have only done it a couple of times.

Normally I will grant permission and provide the full resolution image
on condition that I get a copy of the book that is using it. It is
madness to make the full resolution of a valuable image available free.

When I DOWNLOAD those pictures, generally (always?) the
EXIF information seems to be stripped out.

And probably resampled and compressed to a standard canonical JPEG
encoding as opposed to the custom qtables out of the camera.

But ... how much of that personal EXIF information is retained by
the web site (and used for their possibly nefarious purposes)?

Probably all of it so be careful what you upload. Also read the small
print very carefully many of these photo "sharing" sites will lay claim
to them gaining your image copyright hidden in their terms of use.

Same sort of issues with facebook etc where people often provide enough
information to allow thieves to target empty houses whilst the owners
are mindlessly tweeting and facebooking their holiday snaps.

Martin Brown
Old October 28th 14, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Davoud

A. Beck:
If I snap a picture of a pink flower in the open-air foyer
at the AIDS clinic while I'm supposed to be at work, and the
EXIF information shows almost exactly when & where I was, that's
(by it's very revealing nature) certainly intensely
personal information (it's meta-information but intensely
revealing nonetheless).

How so? By your presence there you have revealed this "intensely
personal information" to your co-workers, your clients, and passers-by
who may have seen you enter the parking lot in the morning. Your bank,
the IRS, the SSA, and various county or parish and state and local
agencies know where you work. Medical insurance companies know where
you work. Your friends, family, and neighbors are likely to know where
you work. People talk, they share information in person and on the
Internet.

But once more--as pointed out in this thread, there are a number of
ways to keep your affair with the flower secret. The best is to not
photograph the flower. Second is to not share the photograph, but, of
course, the camera or camera phone with which you made the photo could
be stolen with EXIF and other revealing information intact. Best not to
photograph the flower or anything else. Get rid of all cameras that can
record EXIF. Keep your photos to yourself.

Old October 28th 14, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Davoud

A. Beck:
But, the purpose of asking here was to figure out if there are any
known cases where the web site made use of the EXIF information.

Yes. Flickr displays it on demand if it is included with the photo.

Certainly if you know of a picture-sharing site that *keeps* the
EXIF information intact, that would be immensely informative.

That's the idea. Many people, including me, need to make that
information available to persons who view their photos. This is the
Information Age, not the Dark Age.

Old October 28th 14, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-10-28 21:48:48 +0000, Davoud said:

A. Beck:
[...]

There is just a tad too much paranoia to this. I usually retain full
EXIF data and for many shots I retain GPS Geo tagged location
information as that gives me another sort criterium, and can provide
some interesting data for those I share images with.
So if you open this image and check the EXIF, you will find a whole
bunch of information in the EXIF metadata including location data for
the 1200+ shots I took that particular day.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Shared%20Images/Automotive/DNC4947-Edit-1.jpg
....and

the location from the Lightroom Map Module.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_998.jpg

....and if you want really detailed EXIF data go to
http://regex.info/exif.cgi and enter the image Dropbox URL to see
just how much more info is in that EXIF data.

Just to make that easier for you this should take you right there.
http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fdl.dropboxuserconten t.com%2Fu%2F1295663%2FShared%2520Images%2FAutomoti ve%2FDNC4947-Edit-1.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/out359m

If

there is an image I am truly concerned with, I will strip the metadata
before sharing, but I am not particularly paranoid.

Savageduck

Old October 29th 14, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Davoud

Savageduck:
If there is an image I am truly concerned with, I will strip the metadata
before sharing, but I am not particularly paranoid.

Nor am I. I label my photos on Facebook and in Flickr with "Made at
Gambrills, Maryland, on DD MMM YYYY." Or other location, as
appropriate. Try to imagine the National Geographic or a newspaper
publishing photos in isolation, not saying where or when they were
taken. That would render most of the photos entirely useless.

Old October 29th 14, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Davoud

Martin Brown:
You have to assume that any metadata like EXIF or text you post into the
internet will be scanned by malevolent agents now or in the future.

Who are these malevolent agents? Why would they care that I made this
photograph of a butterfly
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/15335834362/in/photostream at
my home at 39°04'40.61" N 76° 39' 33.46" W? Is that information useful
to ISIS? CIA? NSA? FBI? All three agencies are nearby, and they all
know where I live. So?

Old October 29th 14, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
William Unruh

On 2014-10-28, Davoud wrote:
Savageduck:
If there is an image I am truly concerned with, I will strip the metadata
before sharing, but I am not particularly paranoid.

Nor am I. I label my photos on Facebook and in Flickr with "Made at
Gambrills, Maryland, on DD MMM YYYY." Or other location, as
appropriate. Try to imagine the National Geographic or a newspaper
publishing photos in isolation, not saying where or when they were
taken. That would render most of the photos entirely useless.

Yes, but then you are not National Geographic, or even a newspaper. Even
they do not publish all the photos they take.

Old October 29th 14, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Browne

On 2014.10.28, 12:54 , A. Beck. wrote:
How much EXIF information is tracked by photo sharing sites?
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

I often post photos to photo-sharing sites, whether for the
purpose of social networking (pinterest, facebook, etc)
or for Usenet posts (tinypic, flickr, etc) or for personal
sharing (iCloud, dropbox, google drive, etc).

The EXIF, as you know, can reveal exactly where and when
the photo was taken, and even what camera was used, and, of
course, the time and date, etc, the combination of which could
easily reveal intensely personal information.

When I DOWNLOAD those pictures, generally (always?) the
EXIF information seems to be stripped out.

Get Exiftool and search the web for the best commands to clean out
images in batches.

--
Among Broad Outlines, conception is far more pleasurable
than “carrying [the children] to fruition.”

Old October 29th 14, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Don Bruder

In article ,
"A. Beck." wrote:

How much EXIF information is tracked by photo sharing sites?
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

I often post photos to photo-sharing sites, whether for the
purpose of social networking (pinterest, facebook, etc)
or for Usenet posts (tinypic, flickr, etc) or for personal
sharing (iCloud, dropbox, google drive, etc).

The EXIF, as you know, can reveal exactly where and when
the photo was taken, and even what camera was used, and, of
course, the time and date, etc, the combination of which could
easily reveal intensely personal information.

When I DOWNLOAD those pictures, generally (always?) the
EXIF information seems to be stripped out.

But ... how much of that personal EXIF information is retained by
the web site (and used for their possibly nefarious purposes)?

The *ONLY* safe assumption you can make on that is that they'll collect
and use *EVERY SCRAP OF INFO THEY CAN GET THEIR HANDS ON*, no matter how
private, trivial, crucial, or otherwise. If you hand them info,
knowingly or not, they're going to use it. Period.

--
Security provided by Mssrs Smith and/or Wesson. Brought to you by the letter Q