This is relevant - "Why solid-state disks are winning the argument".

Old November 26th 14, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default This is relevant - "Why solid-state disks are winning the argument".

Savageduck wrote:

Only slightly related, is the option to select ³Start up automatically
after a power failure² in System Preferences-²Energy Saver².
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1052.jpg

Certainly from a power off state with a Mac you would be SOL.

that's different than wake on lan, and doesn't always work properly.
Old November 26th 14, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-11-26 17:01:22 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Only slightly related, is the option to select ³Start up automatically
after a power failure² in System Preferences-²Energy Saver².
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1052.jpg

Certainly from a power off state with a Mac you would be SOL.

that's different than wake on lan, and doesn't always work properly.

Agreed. Note I said, "Only slightly related".

Savageduck

Old November 27th 14, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 03:59:33 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 21:33:10 UTC, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

an ipad does not check for an apple id password unless you are
downloading an app or using an app that accesses icloud.

You are in for a surprise. Mine asked for a password before it would
do a factory reset. I encountered requests for a password under
several other similar circumstances.

it asked for a device passcode. it did not ask for your appleid
password.

you are thoroughly confused as to which is which.

Maybe he's not the only one, I had a similar situation.
I have 2 ipad3s under my Apple ID.
I wanted to give one to my brother so he could set up his own ID.
I tried doing this remotely by erasing the iPad but on reading up on it ...
It would be 90 days before it can be allocated to a new users if I did remotely erase via find my iPhone.
Apparenly a 'new' security feature.
So I did it 'hands-on' in order to delete my Apple ID from the ipad I had to type in my Apple ID to delete myself as the user.

Wasn't expecting this minor hassle so maybe it changed in 8.0 or 8.1

if you change the apple id password on apple's web site, you'll get an
error on the ipad until you change the password there, since it would
be using the old and now no longer valid password.

I've never had that problem. It either knows the new password or says
it can't contact iCloud.

it doesn't know the new password unless you tell it.

Depending on what 'it' is. As I'm not sure if the ipad stores the apple ID or whether it checks it with the server to authenticate.

My impression is that it doesn't store the ID password but contacts
the server to confirm. If it can't contact the server, as in my case,
it rejects the password.

there is absolutely no way that information can be sent to a device and
it would be a huge, huge security hole if it did.

there may be situations in which it does not ask, such as updating apps
(in most cases), but that doesn't mean it knows the new password.

Eric Stevens
Old November 27th 14, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 08:50:05 -0800, Savageduck

On 2014-11-26 16:45:01 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

The latest release 8.1.1 (not the beta) was issued on Nov 17. At the
time I tried, there was still a slim chance I could sneak in with a
reversion. In any case, no harm would be done by trying, unless you
count getting bogged down in an endless discussion with you.

you might be able to go back to 8.1, which i think is still being
signed for some reason, but there's no advantage over 8.1.1 since it
fixes minor bugs.

for 8.0.2 and earlier, no. the window has closed.

Is this a roundabout way of acknowledging that there might *just* have
been some point to my trying it on with 8.1.1?

trying what?

once you upgraded to 8.1, you can't go back to 8.0.* or earlier.

you *might* have been able to go back to 8.1, but the difference
between 8.1 and 8.1.1 is minor and certainly not worth the effort.

...and that update was only truly important for the iPhone 4S and iPad
2, not Eric's iPad 3.

We don't know. We will never know now.

depending on how much stuff is on your ipad, a complete restore could
potentially be a long time. copying 128 gig of stuff back takes quite a
while.

Don't forget, I have already done that. It took just over an hour.

then you don't have much on it.

And the relevance of that is ... ?

it should be obvious.

Eric Stevens
Old November 27th 14, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:53:46 -0500, nospam
wrote:

the
... ipad 3 was a bit of a slug ...

Are you a basher?

Eric Stevens
Old November 27th 14, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

the
... ipad 3 was a bit of a slug ...

Are you a basher?

i am critical when it's valid.

the ipad 3 was the first retina ipad and its cpu/gpu was only slightly
more powerful than the ipad 2 (a5x versus a5), yet it had to push 4x
the pixels. for most tasks the speed was similar, but in some cases it
was actually slower than the ipad 2.

the ipad 4 had an a6x, a generation later than the a5 series and was
far more capable of handling a retina display.
Old November 27th 14, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

if you change the apple id password on apple's web site, you'll get an
error on the ipad until you change the password there, since it would
be using the old and now no longer valid password.

I've never had that problem. It either knows the new password or says
it can't contact iCloud.

it doesn't know the new password unless you tell it.

Depending on what 'it' is. As I'm not sure if the ipad stores the apple ID
or whether it checks it with the server to authenticate.

My impression is that it doesn't store the ID password but contacts
the server to confirm. If it can't contact the server, as in my case,
it rejects the password.

it stores the apple id but not the password. it may save a token.

if you do something that needs to authenticate, such as download a new
app, you will have to authenticate with your password or touchid.

for other things, like updating an app, a password is not normally
required.
Old November 27th 14, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Is this a roundabout way of acknowledging that there might *just* have
been some point to my trying it on with 8.1.1?

trying what?

once you upgraded to 8.1, you can't go back to 8.0.* or earlier.

you *might* have been able to go back to 8.1, but the difference
between 8.1 and 8.1.1 is minor and certainly not worth the effort.

...and that update was only truly important for the iPhone 4S and iPad
2, not Eric's iPad 3.

We don't know. We will never know now.

yes we do, since you can update to 8.1.1 if you haven't already.
Old November 27th 14, 08:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:34:01 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I don't expect the password to be stored and authenticated in
individual devices. That way the device would not need to be connected
to the cloud and could still authenticate an old password even after
the password had been changed in all other devices via the cloud. My
expectation and observation is that password authentication *must* be
done via the cloud. No connection to the cloud - no authentication.

Eric Stevens
Old November 27th 14, 08:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:34:02 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Is this a roundabout way of acknowledging that there might *just* have
been some point to my trying it on with 8.1.1?

trying what?

once you upgraded to 8.1, you can't go back to 8.0.* or earlier.

you *might* have been able to go back to 8.1, but the difference
between 8.1 and 8.1.1 is minor and certainly not worth the effort.

...and that update was only truly important for the iPhone 4S and iPad
2, not Eric's iPad 3.

We don't know. We will never know now.

yes we do, since you can update to 8.1.1 if you haven't already.

What on earth do you think I have been writing about!

I updated to 8.1.1 and then found I could not authenticate my password
for anything which required it. In fact I could not connect to the my
home Wi-Fi network for anything which required it. The problem was
eventually found to be that the update had not handled the home
network settings correctly.

Eric Stevens