photorealistic ipad painting, is it real or fake?

Old November 16th 14, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

Default photorealistic ipad painting, is it real or fake?

There is this video where someone supposedly paints a photorealistic
image of Morgan Freeman inspired by a photo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdRLlqdgA4

There are also various videos claiming that that video is a forgery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKHqdqVV2ZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxAzzO8arHs

Are there people here who have an opinion on this issue (preferably
supported by compelling arguments)?
Old November 16th 14, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Are there people here who have an opinion on this issue (preferably
| supported by compelling arguments)?

Why is it important? It's not an especially clever
idea, whether it's possible or not. There's an elderly
man who does pointilistic work with MS Paint:

http://hallasko.com/

Some of it is beautiful. It's all remarkable. Apparently
he enjoys the work. But that doesn't say anything
about the usefulness of MS Paint. It just says
something about the discipline, dedication and talent
of Hal Lasko. Likewise with iPads. They're not well
suited for painting. It can probably be done, in a
fashion. But... so what?

Old November 16th 14, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:23:25 PM UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
| Are there people here who have an opinion on this issue (preferably
| supported by compelling arguments)?

Why is it important?

It's not important. I just find the idea intriguing of the interplay
between photography as a medium and painting as a medium (especially
in the digital realm) regarding questions of creativity, originality
and artistry.

It's not an especially clever
idea, whether it's possible or not. There's an elderly
man who does pointilistic work with MS Paint:

http://hallasko.com/

Some of it is beautiful. It's all remarkable. Apparently
he enjoys the work. But that doesn't say anything
about the usefulness of MS Paint. It just says
something about the discipline, dedication and talent
of Hal Lasko. Likewise with iPads. They're not well
suited for painting. It can probably be done, in a
fashion. But... so what?

How is an ipad not well suited for painting? I think it's
way more well suited for painting than the traditional
tools of paint, brushes and canvas.
First of all because it's unhealthy to inhale fumes
from paint, thinner, etc.. Then you have undo and redo,
you can zoom in and out, work with multiple layers with
various blending modes, use complicated selections to
shield part of your work while working on particular
areas, etc.
But with the ipad it very much depends on the features of
various apps and to what degree one is skilled to employ that
wide range of technical possibilities effectively when
crafting an image.