Ricoh GR

Old November 12th 14, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phillip Helbig

Default Ricoh GR

Does anyone here have a Ricoh GR? Is there a similar but better camera
available? Is there a similar but less expensive camera available?

I have a Pentax K10D and am happy with it, it is probably all I'll ever
need in a DSLR (I used a Ricoh KR10 Super until 2007, actually two
slightly different models since one was stolen in 2000 and I bought a
replacement used), but it is of course bulky. I'm looking for a
high-quality camera which is small enough to be comfortably carried
almost anywhere.

Old November 12th 14, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-11-12 00:18:35 +0000, (Phillip
Helbig (undress to reply)) said:

Does anyone here have a Ricoh GR? Is there a similar but better camera
available? Is there a similar but less expensive camera available?

I have a Pentax K10D and am happy with it, it is probably all I'll ever
need in a DSLR (I used a Ricoh KR10 Super until 2007, actually two
slightly different models since one was stolen in 2000 and I bought a
replacement used), but it is of course bulky. I'm looking for a
high-quality camera which is small enough to be comfortably carried
almost anywhere.

There is little more information needed:
What is your real budget, the Ricoh is available for $630?

Since you mentioned the Ricoh GR, are you looking for something with an
APC-S or larger size sensor?

Are you looking something less heavy than a DSLR, or compact enough to
fit in a pocket?

When you say high-quality, are you looking for the image quality found
in cameras with APC-S or larger size sensors, or are you prepared to
compromise with the maller sensors found in truly smaller cameras?

Remember that for the most part quality is going to not be much less
expensive than the $630.

Giving this a bit of thought, in the $500-$600 range there is the
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 a 4/3 camera with kit lens, and more than
acceptable image quality.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gm1

Other cameras I would suggest, such as the Fujifilm X-E2, & Canon G1 X
MkII are more expensive.

Savageduck

Old November 13th 14, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phillip Helbig

In article 2014111116505219113-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
writes:

There is little more information needed:
What is your real budget, the Ricoh is available for $630?

Certainly not much more than that.

Since you mentioned the Ricoh GR, are you looking for something with an
APC-S or larger size sensor?

Yes.

Are you looking something less heavy than a DSLR, or compact enough to
fit in a pocket?

Yes.

When you say high-quality, are you looking for the image quality found
in cameras with APC-S or larger size sensors, or are you prepared to
compromise with the maller sensors found in truly smaller cameras?

No.

Remember that for the most part quality is going to not be much less
expensive than the $630.

Right.

Old November 14th 14, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oregonian Haruspex

On 2014-11-12 00:18:35 +0000, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply said:

Does anyone here have a Ricoh GR? Is there a similar but better camera
available? Is there a similar but less expensive camera available?

I have a Pentax K10D and am happy with it, it is probably all I'll ever
need in a DSLR (I used a Ricoh KR10 Super until 2007, actually two
slightly different models since one was stolen in 2000 and I bought a
replacement used), but it is of course bulky. I'm looking for a
high-quality camera which is small enough to be comfortably carried
almost anywhere.

I'm still in love with my Canon S90. It's very very small, shoots RAW,
has a zoom lens that is quite fast when zoomed all the way out, has
decent enough high-ISO performance, and most importantly it has a nice
ring around the lens that you can set to various functions. There is a
thumb wheel on the back, and it is easy to control even in full manual
mode with the two controls.

It also has a nice custom mode which is very useful. You can set it up
so that the camera's current settings are saved to the custom mode on
power-up or mode switch. I have mine set to aperture priority mode,
-2/3rds stop exposure compensation (so I don't blow out the
highlights), manual focus mode, aperture at f/4 and focus set to the
hyperfocal distance for that aperture which gives me a sharp image for
everything from 5' to infinity. I can carry the camera in my pocket
(it's about the size of a deck of cards) with the C mode set on the
mode select dial and when a photo opportunity presents itself I just
whip it out and push the power button. I can then instantly frame the
shot without having to think about anything but the framing.

It's so small and light that I have no excuse not to have a camera on
me. To tell the truth, even though I have several other digital
cameras (EOS 10D, Epson R-D1, EOS-M) the S90 is my favorite simply
because it's small, light, nice to use, and has everything I need 90%
of the time. I haven't used the Epson in perhaps two years, and the
other EOS digital cameras are generally only brought out when I want to
use my ultra-telephoto, macro, and tilt-shift lenses. I am thinking of
getting the 10D modified for IR / UV photography because I simply don't
use it at all any more.

I am thinking of replacing it finally with the Canon Powershot G7X,
which has a faster lens, better high-ISO performance, and about twice
the resolution with only a tiny extra bit of thickness.

I never thought I'd say it but the swinging mirror, hold it to your
face, tiny optical finder SLR type cameras are looking more and more
obsolete. For telephoto shooting, the EOS-M is superior to my 1n and
10D because I can focus much more effectively. With macro shooting the
ease of focusing is even more apparent. Ditto astrophotography - here
the difference between live view and the optical finder is striking and
I am always assured of perfect focus. With tilt shift lenses, the
ability to zoom into each part of the frame with the magnifier and
check the effect is fantastic. If only one could get something like
the EOS-M (or the G7X) that was sealed against water I would be one
happy camper.