Some simple questions about Single-Tray Processing

Old February 20th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Steven Woody

Default Some simple questions about Single-Tray Processing

Hi,

Since I've not managed to reache Lloyd Erlick's web site, so I like to
ask some basic questions about how to exactly do single-tray printing
here. Hope you professionals be kind to give me some clear answers.
Thanks in advance.

I already have basic ideal about single-tray, i.e. pouring-in,
pouring-out in only one tray, but I don't know ( For both RC &
Fiber ):

1, Does basic processing steps keep unchanged? i.e., Develop, Stop,
Fix#1, Fix#2, Rinse in wash acid if Fiber, Wash? Is there any
additional step needed? ( In searching google, I found some people
likely do extra Rine before Fix#1 and after Fix#2 and he do each Rinse
three times )

2, Because Developer is always one-shop usage, so I think dillute it
more would be reasonable. If I use Kodak D-72. What's a you suggested
dillution and starndard developing time?

3, What's the suggested Rinse time ( if Fiber ) and Wash time?

Thanks.
Old February 20th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In my most humble opinion, single-tray processing for B&W is not worthwhile.
If you have an area large enough area for three or four trays, it's
downright silly. For color, on the other hand, it is the rule.

IMHO

I use the old single-use rocking 'canoe' trays for up to 8x10 film, but only
for the developer. For prints, well it might be a good approach but so slow
and overall not worthwhile, IMHO again.

jj

And I've tried it

Old February 20th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 2/19/2008 7:59 PM jjs spake thus:

In my most humble opinion, single-tray processing for B&W is not worthwhile.
If you have an area large enough area for three or four trays, it's
downright silly. For color, on the other hand, it is the rule.

I agree. I'm curious; why are you (asking the O.P. here) interested in
single-tray processing? Are you working in a closet where you only have
room for one tray? Or is it, as I suspect, because there's some kind of
mystique to the Single-Tray Method, the One True Way to Process Photo
Paper? (At least, that's the impression one gets from Mr. Quinn's many
posts on the subject.) Do you think you'll get better results from it?

Myself, I really don't see the point.
Old February 20th 08, 07:01 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Steven Woody

On Feb 20, 12:37 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/19/2008 7:59 PM jjs spake thus:

In my most humble opinion, single-tray processing for B&W is not worthwhile.
If you have an area large enough area for three or four trays, it's
downright silly. For color, on the other hand, it is the rule.

I agree. I'm curious; why are you (asking the O.P. here) interested in
single-tray processing? Are you working in a closet where you only have
room for one tray? Or is it, as I suspect, because there's some kind of
mystique to the Single-Tray Method, the One True Way to Process Photo
Paper? (At least, that's the impression one gets from Mr. Quinn's many
posts on the subject.) Do you think you'll get better results from it?

Myself, I really don't see the point.

I interested in single-tray because,

1, My room is not large, even thougth it's capable use three trays,
use one tray only is attractive to me;
2, Using one-tray method means I need to pour solutions back into its
container, this is easy to maintain solution temperature in a water
bath;
3, A well built, larger, dedicated photographic tray is not cheap.

I like to hear more your thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

--
woody
Old February 20th 08, 07:46 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lawrence Akutagawa

[...]

Consider using a tray ladder, as per

http://tinyurl.com/yrb4np

Old February 20th 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 2/19/2008 10:01 PM Steven Woody spake thus:

[...]

Well, that seems like the only compelling reason to use just one tray
(although the "tray ladder" suggested here might be a workaround).

2, Using one-tray method means I need to pour solutions back into its
container, this is easy to maintain solution temperature in a water
bath;

But that's what makes this method much more a pain in the ass, in my
view; all that pouring in and out of bottles. And in black & white
processing, who cares about "maintaining solution temperature"? (You
aren't processing color paper, are you?)

3, A well built, larger, dedicated photographic tray is not cheap.

Really? At least here (the US), trays are probably the cheapest items in
a darkroom. Where are you?
Old February 20th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Martin J

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

This may very well be true for small sizes (up to 20x25...).

For larger sizes the single tray method is excellent. I use a Durst Printo
for all proofs and test enlargements (with RC paper of course) and make the
larger baryta prints using a single tray (up to 100x70cm...)

Martin
Old February 20th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Steven Woody

On Feb 20, 3:15 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Yes, I do B/W. But if solution temperature is not ranged around 68F,
i am not sure how many minutes I should put a paper in the developer.
B/W print is really develop-to-complete? I am afraid if I develop a
paper too much, it will goes darker than it should in normal.

3, A well built, larger, dedicated photographic tray is not cheap.

Really? At least here (the US), trays are probably the cheapest items in
a darkroom. Where are you?

Buy a Jobo AP 8x10 plastic tray in China, you need about 8 dollors,
and 16 dollors for 16'' tray.
Old February 20th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Ken Hart[_3_]

"Steven Woody" wrote in message
snip
Yes, I do B/W. But if solution temperature is not ranged around 68F,
i am not sure how many minutes I should put a paper in the developer.
B/W print is really develop-to-complete? I am afraid if I develop a
paper too much, it will goes darker than it should in normal.

How much does the temperature vary in your darkroom? If your darkroom is in
a "comfort range", perhaos 65-75F, you shouldn't have any problem. Color
RA-4 and film processing would be a different matter, of course.

3, A well built, larger, dedicated photographic tray is not cheap.

Really? At least here (the US), trays are probably the cheapest items in
a darkroom. Where are you?

Buy a Jobo AP 8x10 plastic tray in China, you need about 8 dollors,
and 16 dollors for 16'' tray.

Just because you are using it for photo processing doesn't mean it must be a
photo tray. (Actually for a 16x20 Jobo tray, that's probably not a bad
price!) I don't know what's available in China, but in the USA, you can
find a lot of darkroom usable stuff at WalMart and HomeDepot.