Residue spots on developed E-6

Old July 16th 04, 04:22 PM
Alan Browne

Default Residue spots on developed E-6

I shot 10 rolls of Sensia 100 at a horse jumping competition
recently. The last batch of 4 to go to the lab came back:

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/Ho...g0007_2700.jpg
(LARGE FILE: 4.5MB, if modem, just DL the first few bits of it to
see the spots.)

These spots are on EVERY frame (144 slides)

They've offered to clean the slides and I brought them to the lab
last night.

Any comments on
what the spots are?
likelihood they can clean them?
without damaging the slides?

Cheers,
Alan

Old July 16th 04, 04:59 PM
Nick Zentena

Alan Browne wrote:

I shot 10 rolls of Sensia 100 at a horse jumping competition
recently. The last batch of 4 to go to the lab came back:

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/Ho...g0007_2700.jpg
(LARGE FILE: 4.5MB, if modem, just DL the first few bits of it to
see the spots.)

These spots are on EVERY frame (144 slides)

They've offered to clean the slides and I brought them to the lab
last night.

Any comments on
what the spots are?

Are they black bits of rubber? Or whatever the squeeges are made
of? Is the image also scratched? Thin black line top of the frame above the
flag pole. Also hair? Below the flag pole.

Nick

Old July 16th 04, 07:02 PM
Alan Browne

Nick Zentena wrote:

Are they black bits of rubber? Or whatever the squeeges are made
of? Is the image also scratched? Thin black line top of the frame above the
flag pole. Also hair? Below the flag pole.

The random bits of hair don't bother me. That was a quick scan
to get a look at the work ... and discover the little dots.

I'm immediately worried about the dots and the possibilty of them
being cleaned... w/o damaging the slides.

Cheers,
Alan

Old July 16th 04, 11:04 PM
Gary W. McIntyre

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

I shot 10 rolls of Sensia 100 at a horse jumping competition
recently. The last batch of 4 to go to the lab came back:

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/Ho...g0007_2700.jpg
(LARGE FILE: 4.5MB, if modem, just DL the first few bits of it to
see the spots.)

These spots are on EVERY frame (144 slides)

They've offered to clean the slides and I brought them to the lab
last night.

Any comments on
what the spots are?
likelihood they can clean them?
without damaging the slides?

Cheers,
Alan

I've been working in the business since 1985 and I've seen anything
quite like that...
Looks to me like a really, really dirty processor... like an old Noritsu
E6 machine that is way under-utilized.

They may or may not be able to get them off... I would suggest that if
the crud is on the base of the film (lower rollers in a minilab rack) it
should come off pretty easily... but if it's from the crossovers and
embedded into the emulsion, it may never be completely removed.

Good luck... and in future, trust your E6 to a lab that uses a hanger
transport machine (dip & dunk)... risk of damage is much, much lower.

Looked like a great shot too...

Old July 19th 04, 05:42 PM
Bill Tuthill

Alan Browne wrote:

I shot 10 rolls of Sensia 100 at a horse jumping competition
recently. The last batch of 4 to go to the lab came back:

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/Ho...g0007_2700.jpg

(LARGE FILE: 4.5MB, if modem, just DL the first few bits of it to
see the spots.) These spots are on EVERY frame (144 slides)
They've offered to clean the slides and I brought them to the lab
last night.

Looks like the infamous Fuji pepper grain. Image size and
your _2700 filename component make me think this is 2700 dpi.
How do the black spots look at 5400 dpi, just 2x as large?

http://luminous-landscape.com/ reviews/film/fuji-pepper.shtml

Any comments on
what the spots are?
likelihood they can clean them?
without damaging the slides?

If Fuji pepper grain, unlikely, probably so but it's a risk
without any concomitant reward.

Spots! Chris Loffredo In The Darkroom 10 June 13th 04 06:08 AM
Spots on negatives Mark In The Darkroom 2 May 10th 04 11:50 PM
Q: photo spots in Grand Teton and Yellowstone Jinkyu Yang Photographing Nature 3 February 18th 04 03:50 AM
White spots on negs Mark Liddell In The Darkroom 3 February 7th 04 08:42 PM
Developed film preservation LiquiGuard.com Film & Labs 0 January 7th 04 04:17 PM