Staining metol developer

Old March 22nd 05, 04:26 AM
Lew

Default Staining metol developer

I'm sure I came across an article about a staining metol based developer.
The trick is NOT to bleach out the stain with an acid fix. I've now got my
supply of Formulary TF-4 in, but I've lost track of my reference. Possibly a
gainer article? Can anyone help?
-Lew

Old March 22nd 05, 02:44 PM
Richard Knoppow

Lew wrote:
I'm sure I came across an article about a staining metol based

developer.
The trick is NOT to bleach out the stain with an acid fix. I've now

got my
supply of Formulary TF-4 in, but I've lost track of my reference.

Possibly a
gainer article? Can anyone help?
-Lew

Metol is not a staining developer. Are you sure this is not a Pyro
and Metol developer, perhaps PMK (Pyro-Metol-Kodalk)? If so the formula
may be found at: http://www.jackspcs.com/pmk.htm
There is also an old Pyro and Metol developer, Kodak D-7

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old March 22nd 05, 11:37 PM

I think I read of a staining hydroquinone developer from Gainer, if
that's any help. Microdol-X gives a bit of a brown tint to the neg if
the fixer is non-acidic.

Old March 22nd 05, 11:37 PM

Old March 23rd 05, 02:38 PM
Jordan W.

Lew wrote:
I'm sure I came across an article about a staining metol based developer.
The trick is NOT to bleach out the stain with an acid fix. I've now got my
supply of Formulary TF-4 in, but I've lost track of my reference. Possibly a
gainer article? Can anyone help?
-Lew

Gainer came up with a staining phenidone-hydroquinone developer
using only these two agents and triethanolamine as an activator. I
haven't tried it but Nicholas Twist from New Zealand, who posts
here once in a while, uses it and loves it. The key is the absence
of sodium sulfite -- when it is present the stain is not formed and
instead you get your usual superadditive PQ-type developer.

Old March 23rd 05, 10:10 PM
Wayne

I dont know if this is related to what you are talking about, but you
can find Patrick's email address there (if the link works, otherwise
just search this group on gainer stain)

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...6595b650e75ecb

Old March 24th 05, 05:08 AM
Lew

This evidently refers to the article I read, but I can't find a reference to
the article itself.
-Lew
ups.com...