Photo Papers For Epson 2100

Old November 30th 04, 08:42 AM
John

Default Photo Papers For Epson 2100

I have just tried printing an A4 sized colour photo with Epson ColorLife
paper on the Epson 2100 printer. The resulting print had narrow horizontal
bands across the picture. The nozzle check indicated that cleaning the
printing heads is not necessary. Before this I had successfully used Epson
Premium Semigloss paper and after using ColorLife, I successfully used Epson
Premium Glossy photo paper. I haven't had this happen with several A3 prints
using premium semigloss photo paper.

The software for the Epson 2100 doesn't specify ColorLife paper, so I
selected premium semigloss photo paper, because colorlife is a semigloss
paper. In fact, the media type selection of papers for the 2100 doesn't
include photo quality ink jet paper either, can this be used with the 2100,
and what media type would you select?

The only media choices the software gives me a plain paper; archival
matte paper; premium semigloss photo paper; glossy paper - photo weight;
and watercolor paper - radiant white. Are there any others that I am somehow
missing?

I don't want to run the cleaning printing heads utility because it uses ink
and the printer is quite new. Is this printer quite limited in the photo
papers it can use?

Thanks very much for your feedback.

John

Old November 30th 04, 11:28 AM
stanb

"John" wrote in message
[...]

This works ok - use the archive matt settings

The only media choices the software gives me a plain paper; archival
matte paper; premium semigloss photo paper; glossy paper - photo weight;
and watercolor paper - radiant white. Are there any others that I am

somehow
missing?

thats pretty much it from epson. there are other papers/canavsses
suitablefor use withet ultrachrome inks - have a hunt around DPreviews
printer /epson forums
I don't want to run the cleaning printing heads utility because it uses

ink
and the printer is quite new. Is this printer quite limited in the photo
papers it can use?

to a degree yes... pigmented inks behave differently to dye based inks and
not all paper is designed to use with both; I think this is what has
happened wth your colourlife paper - Obviously epson has papers optomised
for its own printers, hence its pretty explicit about what epson papers to
use. Some third party manufacturers also make papers that are suitable
(ilford do - i think it is the smooth not the classic) - Again checkout
DPreview

Old November 30th 04, 01:36 PM
Arthur Entlich

Colorlife paper is a different technology than the other papers you
mention. It is what is referred to as a swellable polymer type, while
the others are either kaolin or micropore.

Swellable polymer papers are designed specifically for dye ink printers.
Your printer uses pigmented inks. In this case, the Colorlife product
was designed to help to reduce fading with Epson 6 color dye ink
printers, which were not always holding their color with micropore papers.

Pigmented inks do not require papers with these types of features, as
the ink itself has good fade resistance. All inkjet printer
technologies require certain paper surface characteristics to get the
best result, and they differ by brand, ink type, and method of inkjet
technology.

There are a good many papers which will work well with the 2100, beyond
Epson's own large selection. You did select one type which is not
appropriate for that printer, however.

Art

Old November 30th 04, 08:08 PM
Ryadia

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
[...]

A French firm markets a paper known a "Canson" which is quite exceptional
when used with pigment inks. It takes several days for dye inks to dry on it
but pigment inks and Canson 'semi-gloss' paper are well suited. There is not
a big difference between gloss and semi.

Old December 1st 04, 10:09 PM
John

Thanks very much for the replies to this question, after reading them, the
retailer had no problems in giving me a refund for the ColorLife paper. I
tried the archive matt setting to print on photo quality ink jet paper, and
this worked ok, so I have kept this paper, even though the software media
choices do not specify photo quality ink jet paper. Thanks to stanb for this
tip.

John