"old" Minolta Dimage scan dual & WinXP...

Old September 11th 04, 07:32 AM
bmoag

Default "old" Minolta Dimage scan dual & WinXP...

This is not the terrible problem it may seem to be.

If you have a SCSI card that works under XP check out Vuescan: I had this
scanner when it was new and always felt it worked far better under Vuescan
than with the Minolta drivers. In fact I thought it was nearly useless with
the Minolta drivers. Admittedly that was an earlier version of Vuescan and I
do not know if the current version will support the original Minolta scanner
under XP. If you contact www.hamrick.com you may find a solution for your
problem.

Otherwise a dual boot system is not difficult to accomplish (although time
consuming) and free if you have the correct software. A dual boot system can
be a reasonable way to still use a perfectly good peripheral although
manufacturers want to force you to buy new equipment by not providing
drivers.

I used the original Minolta scanner with a Diamond Paradise PCI SCSI card,
which is functionally exactly the same as current SCSI cards, but the
original Diamond went kaput around the time XP came out. There are no
drivers for XP for the Diamond SCSI card, although many that do not work are
posted on various web sites. I sold the Minolta when I got a Canon FS4000
which can run under SCSI or USB 1. Being too cheap to buy a new SCSI card
for one peripheral I use the Canon scanner in a dual boot system with WinME.
It is worth it because the Canon scanner is unbelievably slow using USB1 but
reasonably fast using SCSI (the difference for a 4000dpi scanner is about 8
minutes per scan, no exaggeration).

Old September 12th 04, 06:46 PM
Frank ess

Mayhem wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

snip
That's pretty ridiculous. Adaptec 2904 or 2910C
cards go for something like $10-20 on eBay.

Rick

What does your "pretty ridiculous" statement contribute to anything but
your apparent need to make yourself seem superior?

And what good would that do?
WinXP detects the scsi card no problem but when I start-up Vuescan it
does not detect the scanner.
I do not see how a different scsi card will change that...

Also if someone knows where I can get a copy of the original Minolta
software (application , not the drivers) I would appreciate it...

E.

He may be right about a different card. My first (or was it second?) HP
SCSI scanner was shipped with a card that didn't see or hear my favorite
program. On an HP forum it developed that another card with the same
number but a different configuration *did* work. When that card was
inserted in the chain, all was well. Maybe Mr Minolta has the key locked
away somewhere...

--Frank ess

Old September 13th 04, 08:02 PM
Rick

"Frank ess" wrote in message ...
Mayhem wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

snip
That's pretty ridiculous. Adaptec 2904 or 2910C
cards go for something like $10-20 on eBay.

What does your "pretty ridiculous" statement contribute to anything but
your apparent need to make yourself seem superior?

Hopefully it contributes the realization that the OP's time
is worth at least something, and that setting up a dual boot
system simply to avoid buying a $10 or $20 SCSI card is
pretty ridiculous.

And what good would that do?
WinXP detects the scsi card no problem but when I start-up Vuescan it
does not detect the scanner.
I do not see how a different scsi card will change that...

Also if someone knows where I can get a copy of the original Minolta
software (application , not the drivers) I would appreciate it...

E.

He may be right about a different card. My first (or was it second?) HP
SCSI scanner was shipped with a card that didn't see or hear my favorite
program. On an HP forum it developed that another card with the same
number but a different configuration *did* work. When that card was
inserted in the chain, all was well. Maybe Mr Minolta has the key locked
away somewhere...

The Minolta drivers aren't as picky. Any SCSI card with
an appropriate driver will work.

Rick