Spoon Measured Developers.

Old March 2nd 11, 07:11 PM
Darkroom User Darkroom User is offline
Junior Member

Question Spoon Measured Developers.

I found this site which says that developers like D76 and D72 can be made by spoon measures instead of weighing each of the dry chemicals.
How accurate is this?

http://www.farahmahbub.com/VirtualMa...cktoBasics.htm
Old March 2nd 11, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

Default Spoon Measured Developers.

news

--
Darkroom User

I haven't looked at the site but most developers are
not very critical of quantities. There were many teaspoon
formulas for Amidol developers for instance. I suppose if
you are careful you can even get good consistency from one
batch to another.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old March 7th 11, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Peter" wrote in message
On Mar 2, 1:11 pm, Darkroom User Darkroom.User.
wrote:
I found this site which says that developers like D76 and
D72 can be
made by spoon measures instead of weighing each of the dry
chemicals.
How accurate is this?

http://www.farahmahbub.com/VirtualMa...cktoBasics.htm

--
Darkroom User

Interesting.
Text could use a little editing. Some obvous places:
"face musk is an appropriate addition" (mask?)
"Add a pinch of Sodium to the water before adding the Metol
to prevent
the initial oxidation" (avoid pinching the sodium; putting
it in the
water may have surprising results; you mean Sodium Sulfite -
I think)
"Four Possessing Trays { large enough to hold the selected
print
size }" (Processing)

He means sodium sulfite but its based on a mistaken
idea that the sulfite will absorb any free oxygen in the
water. Actually the metol is pretty effective at doing that
and its more effective to boil the water for a few minutes
before using it to mix the developer. Boiling will drive off
dissolved gasses, remove some hardness, and coagulate any
organic matter which will precipitate as the water cools.
Metol will not dissolve in a strong solution of sulfite
which is why its always the firt ingredient (after water) in
any formula including it.
In general, I don't like inexact measurment even for
relatively non-critical applications as B&W photographic
processing solutions. The range of error is suggested by the
variation in the different versions of similar developers.
The same thing applies to cooking, what exactly is a
teaspoon,a scant teaspoon, a rounded teaspoon, a heaping
teaspoon? A pinch of something?
This is OK as an emergency measure but decent used
balances are available cheaply. Actually, a digital postage
scale will work for smaller quantities.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old March 7th 11, 09:32 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
Richard Knoppow wrote:

(avoid pinching the sodium; putting it in the water may have
surprising results; )

Indeed! Almost got me expelled from junior high school, that did...

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
Old March 7th 11, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Richard Knoppow wrote:

This is OK as an emergency measure but decent used balances are
available cheaply. Actually, a digital postage scale will work for
smaller quantities.

I have an Ohaus 610 gram triple beam balance. It now costs more than
when I got mine almost 40 years ago.

Many years ago I was on a grand jury and some poor guy was being charged
with being a drug dealer. While deliberating, I pointed out that I had
one just like it in my darkroom. No other evidence was presented. We
no-billed that one.

^^-^^ 15:00:01 up 4 days, 1 min, 3 users, load average: 4.68, 4.66, 4.64