Color & B&W Densitometers

Old March 4th 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Default Color & B&W Densitometers

jay wrote:
Hi all
I want to buy a used color & B&W Densitometer that will work in both
the transmission & reflected mode @ a fairly low price. (Say $400)
I've visited X- Rites web site, & leave w/ my head spinning. I have
the impression that some are for continuous film or print reading,
some are automated for use w/ dies & inks that have little to do w/
photography, & some are for digital photography uses, & they all cost
thousands new. In order to have any idea what to buy, I need the specs
& / or advertising data when they were new. But I have no idea of
anything. I usually don't get this confused about a technology. But
this is amazing.

Yes, there are a lot of different kinds. For home darkroom use, if you
need one, for transmission I use a Macbeth TD-901 that cost me a little
over $2000 about 20 years ago. They should be pretty cheap used these
days. That one is Black and White only, and calibrated for ortho films
(it was designed for reading normal density, and % dot area for
half-tone work). Others in the TD-9xx series might be a little nicer for
basic darkroom work, but it probably does not matter much.

I need that kind of accuracy only for negatives, and I never really need
accuracy for reflection. I use a Kodak cardboard Q-16 reflection density
guide for that.

I've looked (on line) @ several Besslers, but some appear to have
vacuum tubes.

I did not know that Beseler made densitometers (in the usual sense of
the word). They made (and perhaps still make) enlarging meters that are,
basically, uncalibrated densitometers that can be used for comparative
purposes, but not for getting exact measurements.

I have one of their PM-2A that is surely over 20 years old. It has no
vacuum tubes in the box, and only a photomultiplier tube in the probe. A
photomultiplier is a vacuum tube, but I do not think it will wear out
unless you abuse it. It is not heated.

I don't think vacuum tubes are made anymore. But I don't
know how to tell which are solid state from looking on line. I went to
Wikipedia & really wasn't able to find out much. Does any one have a
recommendation how I might sort all this info our & find some solid
data on possible candidates for my search. Or actual recommendations
would be appreciated, but not expected.
BWT where has this group gone? Where ever, I suppose that's where I
should post this.
Thanks, JD

There has been so much spam and flame that many have gone to photography
mailing list.

^^-^^ 11:15:01 up 43 days, 12:35, 3 users, load average: 5.16, 4.89, 4.60
Old March 9th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Claudio Bonavolta" wrote

But you won't be fired ... on Pure-Silver

Flamed and fried, but never fired.

Pure-Silver is much more civilized than APUG.

The most civilized is rec.photo.darkroom -
populated by polite ghosts.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Old March 29th 10, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 11:03:41 -0500, "Nicholas
O. Lindan" wrote:

The most civilized is rec.photo.darkroom -
populated by polite ghosts.

March 29, 2010, from Lloyd Erlick,

quiet maybe, but not ghostly.

--le