Omega D2 vs. D5 question

Old December 8th 04, 05:54 PM

Default Omega D2 vs. D5 question

Is it worth replacing a used but working fine D2 with a used D5?

Old December 8th 04, 06:17 PM

That depends. I did for several reasons.
Lens changing is now easier.
D5 carriers are more convenient. They center themselves.
A color head was the final goal to make b&w filtering easier.
And you can keep your condenser head for when it's needed.

Collin

Old December 8th 04, 06:42 PM

Here's the deal. I currently have the color head with the D2 (standard length). I can get a D5XL with the color head for $165.00. The enlarger has no baseboard or lens board.
I thought I could mount the D5XL on my baseboard, pick up a lens board (maybe a turret) somewhere and sell what's left over.
What I would be able to sell is the D2 with color head and PS (no timer) and lens board (with a few lenses I have laying around).
If I could get $100.00 or so I would have made the changeover for about $100 or less depending. I need to figure out if it's worth the hassle.

Old December 8th 04, 11:22 PM
Gregory Blank

In article tlGtd.3458$wb7.1519@trnddc03,
wrote:

Is it worth replacing a used but working fine D2 with a used D5?

That depends. I did for several reasons.
Lens changing is now easier.
D5 carriers are more convenient. They center themselves.
A color head was the final goal to make b&w filtering easier.
And you can keep your condenser head for when it's needed.

Collin

All good reasons Collin, additionally the D5 XL is typically a much
longer chassis enabling bigger prints.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old December 13th 04, 03:09 PM
Mike King

In my opinion, if I had spent a lot of time "tuning" my D-2, alignment,
etc., and a lot of time acquiring parts which are unique to the D-2, older
style carriers, etc. and if both machines were using colorheads of the same
condition and vintage I'd keep the D-5 around as a spare.

Now if the D-5 is an XL and you make a lot of big prints, or if you get it
with all the lensboards and carriers you will ever require; keep the D-5 and
sell the D-2 (make your own baseboard for the D-5, D-2 resale value will be
better with the baseboard (consider wall mounting the D-5)).

BTW I don't like the turret, you still need to move the whole assy. up and
down for different f.l. lenses and the samples I've seen are both heavy and
sloppy, hard to align.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old December 13th 04, 05:42 PM
Gregory Blank

"Mike King" wrote:

BTW I don't like the turret, you still need to move the whole assy. up and
down for different f.l. lenses and the samples I've seen are both heavy and
sloppy, hard to align.

I agree turrets limit the lenses that will work, the turret adds about
..35-.5 of an inch between the rear element and the minimum compressible
distance,...which is a problem for some 50 mm lenses.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918