A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

2018 Comparison of Nvidia GPU on LR and PS tasks



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 13th 18, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,469
Default 2018 Comparison of Nvidia GPU on LR and PS tasks

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...formance-1139/

"GPU acceleration has become fairly common in Adobe applications,
but only a few select tasks in Photoshop are able to take advantage
of the video card to improve performance. In fact, some features
(like 3D, Render Flame, and Oil Paint) require that you have a
compatible GPU while others (Image Size, Blur Gallery, Smart
Sharpen, etc.) are simply able to utilize a GPU to improve
performance.

It has only been about a year since we last looked at GPU
performance in Photoshop, but a number of developments have
occurred that made us what to re-do this testing. First, our old
testing didn't include the GTX 1080 Ti, Titan Xp, or Titan V and we
are curious if these newer cards can give us any performance gains.
Second, we have just published our internally developed Photoshop
CC 2018 benchmark and made it available for public download.
Because of this, we wanted to have a set of scores (specifically
the "GPU Score") available for anyone who wants to see how their
existing PC or Mac stacks up against these GPUs."
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
  #2  
Old November 13th 18, 06:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 176
Default 2018 Comparison of Nvidia GPU on LR and PS tasks

On 13/11/2018 03:12, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...formance-1139/

"GPU acceleration has become fairly common in Adobe applications,
but only a few select tasks in Photoshop are able to take advantage
of the video card to improve performance. In fact, some features
(like 3D, Render Flame, and Oil Paint) require that you have a
compatible GPU while others (Image Size, Blur Gallery, Smart
Sharpen, etc.) are simply able to utilize a GPU to improve
performance.


Interesting, thanks.

A wider range of low-mid range cards would have been useful. I think I'm
right in saying the AMD Radeon R9 M290X (about equivalent to a 1050?) in
my iMac would be pretty much equal to even the highest end card in all
but image resize.

--
Cheers, Rob
  #3  
Old November 13th 18, 09:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,469
Default 2018 Comparison of Nvidia GPU on LR and PS tasks

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 05:34:50 +0000, RJH wrote:

On 13/11/2018 03:12, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...formance-1139/

"GPU acceleration has become fairly common in Adobe applications,
but only a few select tasks in Photoshop are able to take advantage
of the video card to improve performance. In fact, some features
(like 3D, Render Flame, and Oil Paint) require that you have a
compatible GPU while others (Image Size, Blur Gallery, Smart
Sharpen, etc.) are simply able to utilize a GPU to improve
performance.


Interesting, thanks.

A wider range of low-mid range cards would have been useful. I think I'm
right in saying the AMD Radeon R9 M290X (about equivalent to a 1050?) in
my iMac would be pretty much equal to even the highest end card in all
but image resize.


Well, they were testing Nvidia. You should also note that the
paragraph you snipped contains a link to their benchmark software
which, as they say, is "available for anyone who wants to see how
their existing PC or Mac stacks up against these GPUs". I have marked
the position of the link with * *. You should try it and report back.


"It has only been about a year since we last looked at GPU
performance in Photoshop, but a number of developments have
occurred that made us what to re-do this testing. First, our old
testing didn't include the GTX 1080 Ti, Titan Xp, or Titan V and we
are curious if these newer cards can give us any performance gains.
Second, we have just published our internally developed Photoshop
CC 2018 benchmark and made*it available for public download.*
Because of this, we wanted to have a set of scores (specifically
the "GPU Score") available for anyone who wants to see how their
existing PC or Mac stacks up against these GPUs."
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
  #4  
Old November 14th 18, 07:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 176
Default 2018 Comparison of Nvidia GPU on LR and PS tasks

On 13/11/2018 08:58, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 05:34:50 +0000, RJH wrote:

On 13/11/2018 03:12, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...formance-1139/

"GPU acceleration has become fairly common in Adobe applications,
but only a few select tasks in Photoshop are able to take advantage
of the video card to improve performance. In fact, some features
(like 3D, Render Flame, and Oil Paint) require that you have a
compatible GPU while others (Image Size, Blur Gallery, Smart
Sharpen, etc.) are simply able to utilize a GPU to improve
performance.


Interesting, thanks.

A wider range of low-mid range cards would have been useful. I think I'm
right in saying the AMD Radeon R9 M290X (about equivalent to a 1050?) in
my iMac would be pretty much equal to even the highest end card in all
but image resize.


Well, they were testing Nvidia. You should also note that the
paragraph you snipped contains a link to their benchmark software
which, as they say, is "available for anyone who wants to see how
their existing PC or Mac stacks up against these GPUs". I have marked
the position of the link with * *. You should try it and report back.


Yes, thanks, but I don't have Photoshop - mine was more a 'what if' sort
of musing . . .


--
Cheers, Rob
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nvidia content aware fill looks impressive Alfred Molon[_4_] Digital Photography 1 April 26th 18 04:32 AM
Who is Who and What is What in Photography 2018 android Digital Photography 0 January 25th 18 08:02 AM
2018: Bevare of Them Beast! android Digital Photography 1 January 2nd 18 05:20 PM
On1 Photo RAW 2018 Final Release Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 37 November 18th 17 01:46 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.