what computer specs for making larger prints from scanned 4x5 slides

Old October 24th 05, 11:35 PM
Ed Margiewicz

Default what computer specs for making larger prints from scanned 4x5 slides

recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file sizes
over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
suggestions are appreciated.

Ed M
www.traquilimages.com

Old October 25th 05, 12:19 AM
Malcolm Stewart

"Ed Margiewicz" wrote in message
recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file

sizes
over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
suggestions are appreciated.

Ed M
www.traquilimages.com

I ran into the printing problem before I upgraded from a 4GB to a large C:
drive, with decent free space. It's currently 40GB and there's about 7GB
spare; with data stored on an 80GB.
RAM is 512MB which was fine until I scanned some of 4x5s last week creating
100MB files. PS now crawls and the graphics are tiled, so I'm guessing that
I need to upgrade RAM tp at least 1GB.

I'm sure people using their gear professionally will advise even more
capacity.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old October 25th 05, 12:52 AM
Jim

"Ed Margiewicz" wrote in message
recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file
sizes over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or
bigger) from scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new
computer to handle such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to
500mb. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Ed M
www.traquilimages.com

Lots more memory and a bigger disk are indicated here.
Jim

Old October 25th 05, 12:53 AM
Hunt

In article , says...

recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file sizes
over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
suggestions are appreciated.

Ed M
www.traquilimages.com

While one can get by with less, both HDDs and RAM are cheap. If you are
buying/building a new machine, and larger graphics files are your desire, I'd
suggest min. 2GB RAM, and I'd also urge you to get as much HDD real estate as
you can. If you use PS (CS or greater) it will use ALL HDD space that you can
spare. Ideally, keep your OS (and any OS's virtual memory) and your programs
on one HDD, set another for your image files, then as many as you can muster,
as large, and as fast as you can get, for your Scratch Disks.

I often work on much larger files on an old P-III (1GHz) dual processor, 1.5GB
RAM and several 36GB SCSI (non-RAID) HDDs, so it can be done, but I'd urge you
to get as much as you can. Besides, you will probably pay 1/2 what I did 5
years ago, and get 10x as much! G

Hunt

Old October 25th 05, 02:48 AM
CFB

In article ,
"Ed Margiewicz" wrote:

recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file sizes
over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
suggestions are appreciated.

Ed M
www.traquilimages.com

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....woa/71606/wo/
VniUEIyOWjAF3UZk19V1EtF8XHo/2.?p=0

--

http://thepathlessland.blogspot.com/
http://ChristianBonanno.com/
Old October 25th 05, 08:12 AM

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:35:29 -0700, "Ed Margiewicz" wrote:

recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file sizes
over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
suggestions are appreciated.

P4 3GHz with 2 gig of memory with a large HD would make it easy.

Old October 25th 05, 11:26 AM
Chris Brown

In article ,
Ed Margiewicz wrote:
recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file sizes
over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
suggestions are appreciated.

I'm using a PowerMac G4, 1.25GHz with 2 gigabytes of RAM. Scanned 4x5 makes
it a bit sluggish. Get the fastest machine you can, and put as much memory
as it'll take in it.
Old October 25th 05, 01:36 PM
Jim

On 2005-10-24 18:35:29 -0400, "Ed Margiewicz" said:

recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file
sizes over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or
bigger) from scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new
computer to handle such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up
to 500mb. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Ed M
www.traquilimages.com

More RAM and more DISK space. If you are considering buying a new
computer (any you should.. a 5 year old Dell is a little long in the
tooth) I recommend multiple drives rather than one huge drive. If you
buy a windows machine, consider at least two internal drives and
perhaps three. As a general rule, on Windows, I have one drive for
Windows and the applications as well as the Windows swap drive (this
can be relatively small, 40 GB's or smaller, but it should be fast,
7200 RPM or better. This is often difficult with a small drive as they
are usually low end slow ones. I partition the second drive, the first
is a 20 GB partition just for my photo softwares swap space.. ie Adobe
Photoshop. The second partiion holds all my non photo data.. ie
documents, mp3's etc. The thrid drive only holds digital images. I
do a similar arrangement on my Mac. Although the OS swap does not get
used as heavily.

--
Jim