Panasonic DMC-FZ20K - Warranty

Old September 21st 04, 02:15 AM
ohaya

Default Panasonic DMC-FZ20K - Warranty

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic DMC-FZ20K this week, and I was kind
of surprised that the manufacturer's warranty is 12 months parts, but
only 3 months labor. Given the short labor warranty, I'm now
considering also purchasing an extended warranty from the place I plan
to buy the camera, Circuit City.

Please no flames!!

I've read through the terms & conditions (all 8 pages), and I think that
their "CityAdvantage" basically extends the manufacturer warranty to 3
years, from Panasonic's 12 month parts/3 months labor, for ~$90. I
understand it doesn't cover abuse and wear and tear.

I've had digital cameras before, but this would be the first one that
I've purchased that is this expensive, otherwise, I'd probably not be
considering the extended warranty.

I'm not looking for horror stories, but I would appreciate any comments,
both good or bad, about experiences with CityAdvantage and digital
cameras.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old September 21st 04, 05:12 AM
Jer

ohaya wrote:

[...]

Well, you said no horror stories, but you're gonna get one anyway....

When it comes to CC's extended warranty "doesn't cover abuse and wear
and tear", they decide what constitutes "abuse and wear and tear" - not
you. Personal experience has proven (to me at least) that anything
short of a nuclear attack is "normal wear and tear" - unless they
believe you built the bomb, in which case the "abuse" clause now fits
squarely under your belt as well.

If the shelf life of a warranty is an important issue, I recommend
dealing with a reputable shop that actually knows the merchandise,
instead of lame excuses for why they don't. CC has no in-house repair
bench, they outsource everything to Lord knows who. Don't
misunderstand, I've saved bucks at CC too, but I no longer depend on
their extended warranty policies.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

Old September 21st 04, 02:06 PM
Vic Dura

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:12:58 -0500, Panasonic DMC-FZ20K -
Warranty Jer wrote:

When it comes to CC's extended warranty "doesn't cover abuse and wear
and tear", they decide what constitutes "abuse and wear and tear" - not
you. Personal experience has proven (to me at least) that anything
short of a nuclear attack is "normal wear and tear" - unless they
believe you built the bomb, in which case the "abuse" clause now fits
squarely under your belt as well.

Ditto.

--
To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

Old September 21st 04, 09:24 PM
ohaya

Warranty Jer wrote:

When it comes to CC's extended warranty "doesn't cover abuse and wear
and tear", they decide what constitutes "abuse and wear and tear" - not
you. Personal experience has proven (to me at least) that anything
short of a nuclear attack is "normal wear and tear" - unless they
believe you built the bomb, in which case the "abuse" clause now fits
squarely under your belt as well.

Ditto.

Vic and Jer, et al,

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

What about the "Customer Care Plan" that Panasonic itself offers? I
gave them a call, and they indicate it's ~$100 for 2 years extended
warranty, and ~$150 for 3 years, but there's very little info on their
website (no terms and conditions).

FYI, if I went with the Panasonic plan, I'd probably opt for the 2 year
extended, as it just seems like the 3 months labor is a bit short for
the original warranty...

Jim
Old September 21st 04, 09:47 PM
Jer

Warranty Jer wrote:

[...]

Given the concerns of your original post, I would agree the labour
component seems short for new equipment. And given this new option of
yours, I'd at least give the OEM offer a look, but to do that you need
to see a copy of their T&C - in writing. This should be available for
the asking at no cost to you. If time permits, ask them post it to you.

Old September 22nd 04, 12:47 AM
ohaya

Given the concerns of your original post, I would agree the labour
component seems short for new equipment. And given this new option of
yours, I'd at least give the OEM offer a look, but to do that you need
to see a copy of their T&C - in writing. This should be available for
the asking at no cost to you. If time permits, ask them post it to you.

Jer,

Thanks. I'm trying to do that (get their T&C), but if anyone has had
one of the Panasonic "Customer Care Plans", I'd be very interested in
feedback...

Jim