[Survey results] Dust

Old March 27th 05, 06:54 PM
Alan Browne

Default [Survey results] Dust

I just compiled the results from 18 respondants.

Two respondants had the Oly system with integral dust removal. The
numbers have been adjusted where appropriate to account for them.

Average TTFD: (Time to first dust): 1.6 months.

First dust in 1 month or less: 63% of replies.

People who test for dust: 83%

Of those who test, the bright / small aperture method if used by: all.

All were regular lens changers.

95% keep their camera in the bag when unused.

22% clean their bag to reduce dust.

Cleaning (some use 2 or 3 mehtods, Oly's excluded from total):
69% use a blower
13% use a brush
56% use swap methods

89% are satisfied that the sensor can be kept reasonably clean (or kept
clean with reasonable efforts [slightly ambiguous question ...]).

All are satisfied that their sensor has not been scratched to date.

Cheers,
Alan.

Old March 27th 05, 08:17 PM
Basic Wedge

Alan. That's about the result I figured you'd get. I don't know how
representative it truly is. The lazy slugs who never clean their cameras are
the same ones who'd never participate in such a survey

Rob

Old March 27th 05, 10:29 PM
paul

I had gobs of dust without ever changing the lens for months though I
used it outdoors a lot. Then I cleaned it & spent a few days in the
desert with windy weather & dust changing lenses constantly & it still
looks fine. ???

Old March 27th 05, 11:54 PM
Alan Browne

paul wrote:

I had gobs of dust without ever changing the lens for months though I
used it outdoors a lot. Then I cleaned it & spent a few days in the
desert with windy weather & dust changing lenses constantly & it still
looks fine. ???

On my camera, after a couple weeks, I have a couple dust spots. They do
not show at all in any photos that has any value to me.

I just need to find a goos ear syringe. My little blower is just too
flimsy to keep pointed accurately.

No rush.

Cheers,
Alan