EXIF layered on to image?

Old July 14th 15, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

Default EXIF layered on to image?

On 2015-07-14 02:00:13 +0000, Peter Jason said:

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 20:30:32 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 09:31:00 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:48:04 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 20:34:41 -0700, Savageduck
On 2015-07-13 02:59:57 +0000, Peter Jason said:

Win7 ult, Win8 pro, Photoshop 6

When comparing a series of photos taken with varying f-stops, ISOs,
shutter speeds, RAW, etc I need to have ths EXIF data layered on to
the image so that I can compare the camera & lens optimums.
Where in Photoshop is the EXIF data presented so as to be copied &
pasted on to the images? Peter

In Photoshop you can get the file data from File-File Info.

Thanks, this allows the cut/paste of E.G. 1/200 sec; f/10; ISO 100
onto the image, and this will do for now.

I am using Widows 7 and CS 2015.

I am curious about how you were able to copy/paste the Camera Data
onto an image. I was unable to copy the panel by any means.

This is a screen shot of that panel open:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ij2ktrl00..._1040.jpg?dl=0

Even if it was copyable, pasting onto an image as a layer would make
the layer below it not visible since the panel has a solid color
background.

If you were able to just view the data, that's one thing. But you
said you were able to "cut/paste" (and I think you mean "copy/paste"),
you are doing something I don't seem to be able to do.

Here's an image, with the "file info" that can be copied (one line at
a time)...
http://tinypic.com/m/iwrqyt/1

Here it is pasted & the layers fused...
http://tinypic.com/m/iwrqyu/1

This is a bit strange.

When something is copied and pasted, what is pasted is exactly what is
copied.

In these two images that Peter has supplied, the typeface is different
(sans serif and serif faces) and there's no background behind the
letters.

When type is added to a file by typing it in, the font can be changed.
However, a copy/paste of a line of type is not a TYPE layer.

Here there are in one file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2015-07-13.jpg

By "copy" could Peter mean he copied what it said in the panel by
typing in the letters? When "copy" in "copy/paste" is used, it means
putting the entire image or a selection on the clipboard and pasting
it.

If so, then he's not doing what I thought he was doing that I cannot
do.

Adobe Photoshop Version:
13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64

That's CS6, Version 13.0

Basically it's the method I use for annotating photographs.

When I go to some family functionI get about 100 photos of varying
quality, and then I sit down to process them.

1/ Crop the best area to 6 x 4 ratio.
2/ Adjust the exposure.
3/ Adjust the vibrance.
4/ Adjust the sharpness
5/ Annotate: In notepad put in the static data (date, place, function)
then names and sundry comments.
Then copy and paste this into the PS text field and fuse the layers.
If the comments are extensive I can increase the "canvas size" and
paste the comments there at the bottom.

Incidently, Windows 8.1 shows RAW images in its Photo Viewer. Unlike
Windows 7.

There you go Tony, you guessed right. Peter J is copying the info he
needs by typing it into a text editor. Copying that, and pasting the
text from the text editor into a PS text layer.

Damn! That seems like more trouble than it is worth, regardless of method.

If I ever need to do something such as that I will stick to LR.

Savageduck

Old July 14th 15, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Peter Jason
wrote:

Basically it's the method I use for annotating photographs.

When I go to some family functionI get about 100 photos of varying
quality, and then I sit down to process them.

1/ Crop the best area to 6 x 4 ratio.
2/ Adjust the exposure.
3/ Adjust the vibrance.
4/ Adjust the sharpness
5/ Annotate: In notepad put in the static data (date, place, function)
then names and sundry comments.
Then copy and paste this into the PS text field and fuse the layers.
If the comments are extensive I can increase the "canvas size" and
paste the comments there at the bottom.

that's not only convoluted but you've altered the originals..

in lightroom, it's very straightforward:

- import all photos, adding keywords for the entire event. the date is
automatically determined from exif data.
- adjust exposure/vibrance/ to taste and crop as needed, which can be
done per photo or batched.
- let facial recognition take care of people.
- add/change keywords for individual or groups of photos.
- optionally geotag the images

the additional data is there when you need it and hidden when you don't
(such as when exporting a photo).

Incidently, Windows 8.1 shows RAW images in its Photo Viewer. Unlike
Windows 7.

it's far more productive to use an asset manager designed for the
purpose.
Old July 14th 15, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article 201507131908101193-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

he could be pasting the exposure data from the info panel either into
notepad or directly into the image.

there is no indication that he types it manually.

Damn! That seems like more trouble than it is worth, regardless of method.

it is without question, one of the most convoluted methods possible.

If I ever need to do something such as that I will stick to LR.

as would any sane person.
Old July 14th 15, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

Where he details his method he says;
"5/ Annotate: In notepad put in the static data (date, place, function)
then names and sundry comments.
Then copy and paste this into the PS text field and fuse the layers."

Damn! That seems like more trouble than it is worth, regardless of method.

it is without question, one of the most convoluted methods possible.

Yup!

If I ever need to do something such as that I will stick to LR.

as would any sane person.

I am so happy that my mental health is somewhat intact.

Savageduck

Old July 14th 15, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

where does it say he manually types the exposure data?

he could be pasting the exposure data into notepad, adding the other
stuff and then pasting the entire blob into the image.

or he might be pasting the exposure data directly into the image, as he
did with the sample posted earlier. that image did not have the rest of
the stuff.

either way, it's absurd.
Old July 14th 15, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-14 03:00:31 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

What does, "In notepad put in the static data (date, place, function)
then names and sundry comments" imply to you?
To me it implies that he manually typed the information into Notepad.
....but, I could be wrong.
Perhaps he will tell us what he actually did rather than have us speculate.

he could be pasting the exposure data into notepad, adding the other
stuff and then pasting the entire blob into the image.

He could be, but I doubt it.

or he might be pasting the exposure data directly into the image, as he
did with the sample posted earlier. that image did not have the rest of
the stuff.

I doubt that. He has told us he used Notepad. Making a screen capture
of the file info panel and pasting that into Notepad creates another
issue. Extracting the text. I am sure Peter J will reveal all in due
course.

either way, it's absurd.

Yup!

Savageduck

Old July 14th 15, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

there is no indication that he types it manually.

Where he details his method he says;
"5/ Annotate: In notepad put in the static data (date, place, function)
then names and sundry comments.
Then copy and paste this into the PS text field and fuse the layers."

where does it say he manually types the exposure data?

What does, "In notepad put in the static data (date, place, function)
then names and sundry comments" imply to you?

it means that exposure info is not included.

maybe it is and maybe it isn't. he didn't specify one way or the other.

To me it implies that he manually typed the information into Notepad.
...but, I could be wrong.
Perhaps he will tell us what he actually did rather than have us speculate.

that would be helpful.

he could be pasting the exposure data into notepad, adding the other
stuff and then pasting the entire blob into the image.

He could be, but I doubt it.

i doubt he'd manually type it when he could copy/paste it but then
again, the entire method is so whacked that anything goes.

or he might be pasting the exposure data directly into the image, as he
did with the sample posted earlier. that image did not have the rest of
the stuff.

I doubt that. He has told us he used Notepad. Making a screen capture
of the file info panel and pasting that into Notepad creates another
issue. Extracting the text. I am sure Peter J will reveal all in due
course.

it's easier to copy/paste the exposure info than type it.

making a stop in notepad doesn't change much of anything.
Old July 14th 15, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 23:37:59 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

It's rather stupid on his part to argue about this. I could have made
a screen video to show attempting to select or copy, and that all of
the PS commands are locked-up when the pane is open, but he won't
admit that he's wrong no matter what proof is offered.

I also use Windows, and get the same result.
Old July 14th 15, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/13/2015 1:40 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

snip

I think it's rather underhanded to use a trial version of Lightroom to
do this. If he's interested in purchasing or subscribing to LR, then
it's less underhanded.

A publisher that makes a trial version available with full functions, is
well aware of the potential for abuse. This is no more unethical than an
airline that overbooks. The publisher is gambling that even the person
who uses it "only for one job," may eventually purchase a full version.
Some trial versions have limited capability, some, such as DXO place a
watermarkin the trial version, after the expiration of the trial period.
My point is that a lot of publishers are willing to accept the risk.
I'm not so sure using a trial version in the manner intended by the
publisher is "underhanded." Don't forget, there is also a learning
curve. Once one has invested in the leaarning curve, I am not convinced
that if the produce satisfied a need, eventually users will purchase. If
the product satisfied a need, but the user cannot afford the product,
they were not going to purchase anyway.

--
PeterN
Old July 14th 15, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/13/2015 2:03 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 13:54:32 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2015-07-13 13:38, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 13:03:48 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2015-07-13 12:18, Tony Cooper wrote:
I could make it work with a screen shot, but your suggestion seems to
be impractical. The idea (as I understand it) is to superimpose the
EXIF data on the image so the image can be viewed

Depends on how the data is presented. Starting with what I describe and
with your favourite editing techniques, one should be able to wash away
all of the datascreen background leaving black or white (or whatever)
text with a clear background. Slap a layer of that and you're done.

Doing this for a lot of photos would be tedious of course.

Yeah, it's possible to delete the grey background and leave the type,
but it is certainly not the easiest way to go about this.

Much easier to type a line on the image.

Perhaps - but error prone (and tedious)

How is it more tedious to type FL32 1/160 200 on the image than it is
make a screen shot, delete the grey background to isolate the type,
copy that, and paste it to the image?

You could easily create an action to do that. You could also write an
interactive macro to type the info on the image. Pick your poison. ;-)

--
PeterN