EXIF layered on to image?

Old July 13th 15, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

Default EXIF layered on to image?

Win7 ult, Win8 pro, Photoshop 6

When comparing a series of photos taken with varying f-stops, ISOs,
shutter speeds, RAW, etc I need to have ths EXIF data layered on to
the image so that I can compare the camera & lens optimums.
Where in Photoshop is the EXIF data presented so as to be copied &
pasted on to the images? Peter
Old July 13th 15, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-13 02:59:57 +0000, Peter Jason said:

Win7 ult, Win8 pro, Photoshop 6

When comparing a series of photos taken with varying f-stops, ISOs,
shutter speeds, RAW, etc I need to have ths EXIF data layered on to
the image so that I can compare the camera & lens optimums.
Where in Photoshop is the EXIF data presented so as to be copied &
pasted on to the images? Peter

In Photoshop you can get the file data from File-File Info.

However, in the Develop module of Lightroom by toggling the "i" key.
Hit it once you get the file name with capture date and time, with
pixel dimensions.
Hit it a second time and you get the file name, the exposure details,
and the lens details.
Hit it a third time and the print is gone.
Note: Photoshop does not do this.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_217.jpg

Savageduck

Old July 13th 15, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Peter Jason
wrote:

Win7 ult, Win8 pro, Photoshop 6

do you mean photoshop cs6?

photoshop 6 is ancient and will not run properly windows 7 or 8. it
won't even install if the hard drive is too big.

When comparing a series of photos taken with varying f-stops, ISOs,
shutter speeds, RAW, etc I need to have ths EXIF data layered on to
the image so that I can compare the camera & lens optimums.
Where in Photoshop is the EXIF data presented so as to be copied &
pasted on to the images? Peter

the proper solution is to use lightroom, which will overlay exif data
automatically.

also in lightroom, you can query which photos to display based on
f/stop, shutter speed, lens choice, location, date or whatever else.
you could, for example, look at all images taken at f/8 in the past
month.

as for photoshop cs6, it's file/file info... in the camera data tab.
the text is copyable, but do you really want to invoke that panel and
copy/paste for every single photo?? that's a ****load of work which is
entirely unnecessary.
Old July 13th 15, 05:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

When comparing a series of photos taken with varying f-stops, ISOs,
shutter speeds, RAW, etc I need to have ths EXIF data layered on to
the image so that I can compare the camera & lens optimums.
Where in Photoshop is the EXIF data presented so as to be copied &
pasted on to the images? Peter

Someone smarter than I am may be along, but the basic EXIF data is
viewable at FileFile InfoCamera Data.

I don't see a way to copy/paste that onto your image. You can type it
in, though, on the image just as you add any text layer to an image.

the text in that panel is selectable and copyable.

the rest is choosing the text tool, clicking in the desired location
and pasting, optionally setting font/size/colour.
Old July 13th 15, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

When comparing a series of photos taken with varying f-stops, ISOs,
shutter speeds, RAW, etc I need to have ths EXIF data layered on to
the image so that I can compare the camera & lens optimums.
Where in Photoshop is the EXIF data presented so as to be copied &
pasted on to the images? Peter

In Photoshop you can get the file data from File-File Info.

However, in the Develop module of Lightroom by toggling the "i" key.
Hit it once you get the file name with capture date and time, with
pixel dimensions.
Hit it a second time and you get the file name, the exposure details,
and the lens details.
Hit it a third time and the print is gone.
Note: Photoshop does not do this.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_217.jpg

I take the approach that if a person doesn't say they have LR, but do
say they have Photoshop, that there's no point in telling them about a
feature in Lightroom. Tell 'em what they can do in PS.

i take the approach to offer the best solution and let the person
decide if they want to pursue it or do it the hard way.

note that there's a free trial for lightroom, so if he doesn't have it
and it is a short term project, he won't need to buy anything.

While what you suggest does show the basic EXIF data, that doesn't
allow the person to make a print with that data on it. It just allows
them to view it.

he didn't say he wanted to print. that's an assumption on your part.

he said he wants to compare photos, which indicates a side-by-side
comparison on screen.

If the OP has CS6, he probably has Bridge. Bridge Essentials allows
viewing EXIF data in the column beside the image.

as does lightroom.

If he wants a printed record, he could do screen shots. Lot of extra
effort, though.

screen shots are easy.

It's not that hard to add the wanted data using the text tool and make
a print.

nonsense. it's a lot of effort to do.

The FileFile InfoCamera data is not, as far as I can tell, copyable
and pasteable onto the image as a layer.

then you didn't look very hard. it's easily selected, copied and pasted.

it's possible that it's only selectable on a mac, but that would be
unusual since adobe uses a cross platform framework so that the app
works the same way on either platform (and to streamline development
effort).
Old July 13th 15, 07:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 20:34:41 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-07-13 02:59:57 +0000, Peter Jason said:

Win7 ult, Win8 pro, Photoshop 6

When comparing a series of photos taken with varying f-stops, ISOs,
shutter speeds, RAW, etc I need to have ths EXIF data layered on to
the image so that I can compare the camera & lens optimums.
Where in Photoshop is the EXIF data presented so as to be copied &
pasted on to the images? Peter

In Photoshop you can get the file data from File-File Info.

Thanks, this allows the cut/paste of E.G. 1/200 sec; f/10; ISO 100
onto the image, and this will do for now.

For the lens I'm using...
http://www.dpreview.com/products/oly...y_70-300_4-5p6
I want to balance ISO with f-Stop to get a sharp image (with tripod)
and f9 & ISO400 is working OK. f5.6 is not so sharp. Also Exposure
Bias -0.7 allows faster shots. All this I'm trying to optimize
for a given lens.

Old July 13th 15, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-07-13 02:59:57 +0000, Peter Jason said:

Win7 ult, Win8 pro, Photoshop 6

When comparing a series of photos taken with varying f-stops, ISOs,
shutter speeds, RAW, etc I need to have ths EXIF data layered on to
the image so that I can compare the camera & lens optimums.
Where in Photoshop is the EXIF data presented so as to be copied &
pasted on to the images? Peter

In Photoshop you can get the file data from File-File Info.

Thanks, this allows the cut/paste of E.G. 1/200 sec; f/10; ISO 100
onto the image, and this will do for now.

I am using Widows 7 and CS 2015.

I am curious about how you were able to copy/paste the Camera Data
onto an image. I was unable to copy the panel by any means.

This is a screen shot of that panel open:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ij2ktrl00..._1040.jpg?dl=0

Even if it was copyable, pasting onto an image as a layer would make
the layer below it not visible since the panel has a solid color
background.

Screen shot the data to a file.

Add a layer to the image. Load that layer with the screen shot.

Lower the opaqueness of the layer containing the data.

Old July 13th 15, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-13 16:34:40 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:18:29 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:
On 2015-07-13 02:59:57 +0000, Peter Jason said:

[...]

I could make it work with a screen shot, but your suggestion seems to
be impractical. The idea (as I understand it) is to superimpose the
EXIF data on the image so the image can be viewed and compared to
other images using different settings.

If you put the image over the screenshot, and lower the opacity, you
can't really evaluate the image. You need to put text over the image.

The most simple solution to me is to type the text on the image.

The real reason for my post, though, is to find how the panel can be
copied and pasted within PS. I can't figure out how to do that and
I'm an experienced user of PS.

If all that's desired is to see the image and the EXIF data on the
screen, then that's dead simple using either PS or Bridge. Lightroom
is not needed, and if he has it there's no advantage over using PS or
Bridge.

I should add, because there's one person here who always wants to
argue about things, that a screen shot could be taken, the panel
cropped to the essential information, the panel screen shot pasted on
the image and reduced to a small space by free transforming, and then
the file flattened and printed.

But, that seems to be the long way around the barn compared to just
typing FL32, 1/160, f16, 200 on the image. That's all he wants.

This is a pointless and time consuming exercise in PS. If LR isn't
available then using Bridge to sort on exposure and lens criteria is
the better, and more efficient option. Anything else is just a PIA and
a total waste of time.
....and without questioning the OP's motives in all of this, even the
Bridge option leaves me wondering why bother at all.

My recommendation is to get the LR trial and if happy with that buy a copy.

Savageduck

Old July 13th 15, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-07-13 12:18, Tony Cooper wrote:
I could make it work with a screen shot, but your suggestion seems to
be impractical. The idea (as I understand it) is to superimpose the
EXIF data on the image so the image can be viewed

Depends on how the data is presented. Starting with what I describe and
with your favourite editing techniques, one should be able to wash away
all of the datascreen background leaving black or white (or whatever)
text with a clear background. Slap a layer of that and you're done.

Doing this for a lot of photos would be tedious of course.
Old July 13th 15, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

On 2015-07-13 12:18, Tony Cooper wrote:
I could make it work with a screen shot, but your suggestion seems to
be impractical. The idea (as I understand it) is to superimpose the
EXIF data on the image so the image can be viewed

Depends on how the data is presented. Starting with
what I describe and with your favourite editing
techniques, one should be able to wash away all of the
datascreen background leaving black or white (or
whatever) text with a clear background. Slap a layer of
that and you're done.

Doing this for a lot of photos would be tedious of course.

I've used Exiftool and Imagemagick to write various
data on images. Titles, dates, camera settings, and so
on. Doing it that way is a bit opposite, in that it is
tedious for only one image, but for 500 images it is
very easy.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)