Memory cards reliable enough?

Old July 12th 15, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

Default Memory cards reliable enough?

On 2015-07-12 18:53:37 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

I use SanDisk and Lexar CF and SDHC cards and have not exerienced any
failures.
That said there was a period back when I was using 2 GB CF cards that
some Lexar CF cards would only upload to my desktop using their
proprietrary card reader, and their proprietry card reader would not
read other brand cards. I am glad to say they fixed that thinking some
time ago. I still have two of those readers which were bundled with the
CF cards, today they are just useless relics.

sounds like the jumpshot reader which was a very stupid idea.

Yup.

Savageduck

Old July 12th 15, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-12 19:54:42 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 09:59:13 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-07-12 16:34:49 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 16:11:07 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:

On 12/07/2015 15:57, Tony Cooper wrote:
[]
After I download the images from my card to my computer I format the
card.
[]

I keep my cards "locked away" until I'm sure the images have multiple
backups (multiple PCs, and one or two 2.5-inch HDs).

BTW: I find it best to format in the camera, perhaps that's what you do
as well?

I upload to Lightroom, note that the images have all been uploaded,
and then close Lightroom. Lightroom backs-up when closed because it
it set to back-up each time it's closed.

You are living with a bit of false security there Tony, the Lightroom
backup catalog does not back up the image files.

The Lightroom backup catalog does not actually contain your photos,
they must be backed up separately.

I know that. That's why I said, in the same post, that I back-up D:
every night. It's still in this message. The image files are on D:

Further, the image file folders are separately backed-up on another
external drive. Not the entire D: drive, but the image file folders.

Backing up your Lightroom catalog file is extremely important, it
contains all the details about edits, keywords, and ratings you have
applied to photos.

I understand that.

The card is re-placed in the camera and then formatted in the camera.

If there was some really important images involved I might take an
extra step to back them up another way, but I'm talking about my
normal procedure here.

Images are uploaded to a file on D:, and the D: drive is backed up to
an external drive every night.

That is a good back up plan for your originals. However, by copying the
Lightroom catalog folder to the same external drive you also have a
backup of all the ratings, keywords, edits, etc.

The drive containing the LR back-ups is also backed-up each night.

Then you should be covered. I just didn't want others unfamiliar with
LR, thinking that the LR catalog backup was going to be a full secure
backup of their images.

Savageduck

Old July 12th 15, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I upload to Lightroom, note that the images have all been uploaded,
and then close Lightroom. Lightroom backs-up when closed because it
it set to back-up each time it's closed.

do you have it set to copy that 'backup' to a different drive not in
the computer?

I have two external drives, and they are where the back-ups go.

you didn't say where it goes. you just said it backs up.

do you expect everyone to know how many external drives you have and
how you've configured lightroom?

if not, then it's not a backup. it's just wasting time and space on
your drive.

more importantly, lightroom does not back up the photos, which is the
important part. the catalog can be recreated but the photos almost
always cannot.

Gee. That's news. What direction does the sun come up in the
morning?

what difference does it make? your head is so far up your ass you won't
ever see the sun.

Images are uploaded to a file on D:, and the D: drive is backed up to
an external drive every night.

leaving you vulnerable for as much as 23 hours.

Sure. But so what?

the 'so what' is when (not if) your drive fails, you will lose up to 23
hours of stuff.

I've stated many times that I'm not a high volume
photographer. What is vulnerable is the last upload, and that's
usually 5 or 10 keepers on a good day. During the grandson's football
and baseball season, the volume increases but I usually don't get
around to formatting the card until the next time I shoot.

if it's not important enough to back up then why bother taking the
photos in the first place?

If it's really important set of images (which it rarely is) I'll burn
a disk or stick them on a thumb drive right after uploading. I can't
remember the last time I did this, though.

in other words, nothing you shoot is important.

no surprise there.
Old July 12th 15, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-12 20:24:21 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 10:47:44 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-07-12 17:02:51 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I upload to Lightroom, note that the images have all been uploaded,
and then close Lightroom. Lightroom backs-up when closed because it
it set to back-up each time it's closed.

do you have it set to copy that 'backup' to a different drive not in
the computer?

Remember, that is only the LR backup catalog, for adjustments, edits,
and metadata, not an image file backup.

I don't pretend to be a LR expert, but - really - that's pretty basic
knowledge. Even I knew that when I first started with LR.

Good! Some folks new to LR have been under the misunderstanding that it
was a full backup which in some miraculous way included image files,
regardless of the dead give away in the lrcat file size.

I don't work in the Develop module as much as you do, but I process
most images, most of the way, in LR now. There are times I'll create
a Virtual Copy and edit that in Photoshop, but most of my post is now
done in LR. I have a few Pre-sets used in Import for things like my
baseball shots, and I have some other custom Pre-sets I use.

That is a practical way to use LR.

You'll laugh at this, but last week I even went over to a person's
house and taught the person the basics of LR. He had recently added
LR, added a bunch of images, and then made some changes in file names
and locations in the C: originals and couldn't figure out why LR
couldn't find the images.

Yup! You have to let LR know what you are doing with renaming and
moving. It is always best to that shuffling within LR, not the computed
file management.

leaving you vulnerable for as much as 23 hours.

...but there is still a backup of originals which is more than many
folks ever do.

That 23 hour window is really not a concern of mine as I explained in
another post. As a low-volume hobbyist, I don't generally upload
enough images in a day to be concerned about losing a few. It's not
like I'm a wedding photographer and would face disaster if a file was
lost.

Your backup protocol is yours. I have mine, and nospam dictates his
idealistic vision to the World. If I were a pro I would certainly have
a more rigid and frequent backup plan, but I am not so my backups and
archiving is complete and a little less obsessive.

Also, while not a rule, my practice is usually to upload a good image
to SmugMug or Dropbox the same day as I upload from the card.

So far, I've never lost an image for any reason.

I always have an archive copy buried somewhere.

Savageduck

Old July 12th 15, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

So far, I've never lost an image for any reason.

that does't mean you're immune.

there's a first for everything.
Old July 12th 15, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Whatever I would have written would have resulted in you jumping in to
create an argument as you have done here.

nope.

in other words, nothing you shoot is important.

That's pretty much true for certain values of "important". There
would be no great loss to the world if all of my photos disappeared.
My family likes the photographs I've taken of the family over the
years, but my hobby photos are just for my own personal enjoyment.

then why back up at all? if you lose them, no big deal.

no surprise there.

How about we compare photos that have been shown in this group; mine
and yours. We can decide from looking at them which are more
important.

your opinion of my photos is of no concern to me.
Old July 13th 15, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-12 22:55:00 +0000, nospam said:

your opinion of my photos is of no concern to me.

I don't think any of us has any sort of opinion when it comes to your
photographs, since we haven't seen any.

Savageduck

Old July 13th 15, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 17:57:51 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 13:10:24 -0500, philo wrote:

On 07/12/2015 09:57 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 04:53:24 -0500, philo wrote:

I have a 32gig card in one camera and a 64gig in the other and can shoot
for months on a card.

Why? Serious question.

After I download the images from my card to my computer I format the
card.

It seems that what you do is leave the images on the card and continue
to shoot. I don't see any advantage to that.

Am I missing something?

Never had a problem with one but I copy the images to several different
computers on a regular basis

If redundancy is the goal, it's not necessary to retain the images on
the card. They can be copied to other devices other ways.

The card holds so many images I have no worry about it getting
filled...I can format the card every six months if I want.

I am thinking of just keeping them , when full for one more b/u though

Your system is your system, but I am curious. I don't see the point
of retaining the images on the card. Doing it, you have to take the
extra step of including in the upload instructions to only upload
those that haven't been uploaded before. Don't you?

Nikon's View NX2 does that automatically. That's one of the reasons I
still use it even though I have LR.

It is another back-up device, but I dunno if it's that practical for
this purpose.

Eric Stevens
Old July 13th 15, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

wrote:
[...]

So does Lightroom. In the import dialog just check, "Don't Import
Suspected Duplicates", and while you are at it check, "Make a Second
Copy To: (in my case an external drive)"
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_216.jpg
That way I have killed two birds with one stone.

Savageduck

Old July 13th 15, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 17:08:12 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

--- snip ---

Your system is your system, but I am curious. I don't see the point
of retaining the images on the card. Doing it, you have to take the
extra step of including in the upload instructions to only upload
those that haven't been uploaded before. Don't you?

Nikon's View NX2 does that automatically. That's one of the reasons I
still use it even though I have LR.

So does Lightroom. In the import dialog just check, "Don't Import
Suspected Duplicates", and while you are at it check, "Make a Second
Copy To: (in my case an external drive)"
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_216.jpg
That way I have killed two birds with one stone.

I like to make an intermediate step, for the reason that I often have
more than one shoot on the card. NX2 copies them all into the one
numbered folder in my 'INBOX' and I can disperse them from there as I
see fit. Once they are in their final destination, _then_ I can import
them into Lightroom.

Eric Stevens