Extracting off the screen.

Old July 11th 15, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

Default Extracting off the screen.

Win7 pro SP1

I use the Snipping Tool for extracting & saving Internet photos which
cannot be downloaded.

What sort of quality are these and do they compare with the originals
if downloaded normally?

Is there a similar program for downloading Video clips, by selecting
the relevant area on the screen, and just copying? I have programs
such as "YouTube Video Downloader" but these seek the original file
which sometimes is no longer available. Even if a message says this,
one can see the video still operating on the screen.
Peter
Old July 11th 15, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-10 23:45:27 +0000, Peter Jason said:

Win7 pro SP1

I use the Snipping Tool for extracting & saving Internet photos which
cannot be downloaded.

What sort of quality are these and do they compare with the originals
if downloaded normally?

Is there a similar program for downloading Video clips, by selecting
the relevant area on the screen, and just copying? I have programs
such as "YouTube Video Downloader" but these seek the original file
which sometimes is no longer available. Even if a message says this,
one can see the video still operating on the screen.
Peter

For Youtube or Vimeo videos most of the download apps require the
specific URL. I am not familiar with those available for Windows
machines, but for OSX there are several.

http://www.alphasoftware.co/#!itubedownloader/cjg9
http://www.macxdvd.com/free-youtube-video-downloader-mac/

Then there are plug-ins for Firefox and Chrome which will facilitate
downloads via the browser which should work across platform.

Then there is another important thing you should be aware of, 5/10/2015
Google changed the Youtube API and most editions of download apps
released prior to that date no longer work, and their update is
questionable.

Good luck.

Savageduck

Old July 11th 15, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Peter Jason
wrote:

Win7 pro SP1

I use the Snipping Tool for extracting & saving Internet photos which
cannot be downloaded.

What sort of quality are these and do they compare with the originals
if downloaded normally?

screen resolution, which is likely smaller than the original.

Is there a similar program for downloading Video clips, by selecting
the relevant area on the screen, and just copying?

for a still? just do a screen grab as above.

if you want to download the actual video, then use a browser extension
to download it directly from youtube/vimeo/etc.

in some cases, the actual source may be obscured (i.e., not using an
embedded youtube player), making it a bit tricky to get the actual
video. browsing the html source usually will lead to the actual file.

there are also apps that can capture audio/video of whatever is playing
on your system. some can even be configured to activate on a schedule,
such as for internet radio shows at a particular time.

I have programs
such as "YouTube Video Downloader" but these seek the original file
which sometimes is no longer available. Even if a message says this,
one can see the video still operating on the screen.

no you can't. if the original video file is not available then there is
nothing to stream and you won't be viewing anything at all.

at best, you'll get a poster frame, but when you click play, you'll get
the message you describe.
Old July 11th 15, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-10 23:58:53 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 09:45:27 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

Win7 pro SP1

I use the Snipping Tool for extracting & saving Internet photos which
cannot be downloaded.

What sort of quality are these and do they compare with the originals
if downloaded normally?

Is there a similar program for downloading Video clips, by selecting
the relevant area on the screen, and just copying? I have programs
such as "YouTube Video Downloader" but these seek the original file
which sometimes is no longer available. Even if a message says this,
one can see the video still operating on the screen.
Peter

I have been using the free verison of Jing.
https://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

It takes screenshots and screen videos. I use it to do tutorials on a
software program. I find it far easier and better to use than the
Snipping Tool that is part of Windows (7).

I have no experience in copying video clips. Try Jing for free and
see how it works.

The only limitation of Jing is that the free version creates a .png,
but I have Photoshop and add text to the screen shots. I then save
the file as a .jpg.

I tried several programs before settling on Jing.

I see Jing is available for OSX, I will take a look.

For image screenshots my go to tool is SnapNDrag, that lets me make
selections, capture an active window, full screen shot, or timed screen
shot. That integrates with Dropbox via Filechute.
http://www.yellowmug.com/snapndrag/
OSX users also have several other built in tools.

For demo videos I use "Screenflow".
http://www.telestream.net/screenflow/overview.htm I got my copy in a
bundle of Mac apps which included some other stuff I found useful.

Savageduck

Old July 11th 15, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 19:58:53 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I downloaded "Jing" and it does extract videos from the
screen, though the quality seems less. Have you experience with the
'pro' version abd does this give clearer videos? Peter
Old July 11th 15, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 09:45:27 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

Win7 pro SP1

I use the Snipping Tool for extracting & saving Internet photos which
cannot be downloaded.

What sort of quality are these and do they compare with the originals
if downloaded normally?

Is there a similar program for downloading Video clips, by selecting
the relevant area on the screen, and just copying? I have programs
such as "YouTube Video Downloader" but these seek the original file
which sometimes is no longer available. Even if a message says this,
one can see the video still operating on the screen.
Peter

If you are after only a still image and are running Windows you can
CtrlPrtScrn to print the entire screen to to the Clipboard as a
bit-map. This can then be pasted to the application of your choice.

I presume there is a similar function for the Mac but I don't know
what it is.

Eric Stevens
Old July 11th 15, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 14:06:03 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but I really want videos that appear on the screen but have
lost their source URLs.
Jing, (and now Snagit) now seem to do the job.
Many photos in Flickr are copyrighted and can only be saved with this
sort of thing.
Old July 11th 15, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

If you are after only a still image and are running Windows you can
CtrlPrtScrn to print the entire screen to to the Clipboard as a
bit-map. This can then be pasted to the application of your choice.

I presume there is a similar function for the Mac but I don't know
what it is.

there is, and it's *far* more capable.

anywhere from an abstract arbitrary region (drag out a selection
rectangle) to a specific window including what is obscured by other
windows or off screen to the entire desktop (all displays) can be saved
to a file in any of various formats (png, jpg, tiff, pdf, bmp and more)
or to the clipboard.

there is also a third party utility that can create a layered photoshop
file with each object on screen as a separate layer.
Old July 11th 15, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

....and you are willing to admit to stealing copyrighted work to a group
of photographers. Some here are sensitive about that very sort of
thievery.

Savageduck

Old July 11th 15, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Eric Stevens:
I presume there is a similar function for the Mac but I don't know
what it is.

In MacOS CMD-Shift 3 captures the entire screen. CMD-Shift-4 presents a
crosshair with which one may draw a rectangle around a region of
interest. The captured image is saved to the Desktop as a jpg, PDF,
png, tiff, or GIF, as pre-chosen by the user. There are other options
available via modifier keys--copy to clipboard, copy a specific window,
etc. See
http://theturninggate.net/2012/08/ch...ile-format-on-
mac-os-x/.

you will say in your entire life.