Photo file rename by to date and time taken

Old July 31st 15, 09:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Photo file rename by to date and time taken

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 01:45:52 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I completely agree with all of your claims on this subject, but I also
completely agree with everyone who is disagreeing with you.

that makes no sense

Huh!

Eric Stevens.

There are two classes of people. Those who divide people into
two classes, and those who don't. I belong to the second class

Old July 31st 15, 09:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 01:45:51 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

do those apps work anymore? if not, you could run them in vm running
an older version of windows.

I'm going to have to do that. I'm going to resuscitate an older
computer.

just run it in a vm.

I've already done that. Unfortunately there was a problem. I can't
remember what it was. But I do have an XP machine which will make it
all straight forward.

Eric Stevens
Old July 31st 15, 09:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 01:45:52 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Gee! Photoshop or Lightroomfor Unix.

photoshop did once have a unix version.

I doubt that PeterN is running it.

Eric Stevens
Old July 31st 15, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/31/2015 12:56 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 00:11:56 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 7/30/2015 8:23 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:21:09 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

What do you do, some years from now, when you have even more photos than
now, all carefully organized with AssetManager, and for whatever
reason, that program becomes no longer available for any platform you
then use?

All your "organization" is out the window, is what.

While, if you had named the files in some rational (to you) way, any
viable OS that could store them could easily display them in the way you
set up.

Your scenario might be a bit overwrought, and I definitely am a fan of
the forward march of technology, but I still agree with you. There are
a lot of very cruel posters here who look down on us Luddites who are
so careful that they believe in a bit of redundancy, but I do not care
for black boxes, and if I didn't write the software, in this case the
asset manager, it's a black box. I just went through a long couple of
weeks going through old computer files, many of which I could not open
without a lot of research.

then you have to stick with plain text and jpeg files.

that's *really* limiting and a *huge* price to pay for something that
might never occur.

It has already occurred to me.

I have a large number of Photopaint files which I can no longer open
in Windows.

I have a smaller number Paintshop Pro files which will be inaccessible
in the forseeable future.

IIRC you can save them as either PSD or TIFF files. I don't know if you
can create an action to do that.

I'm reluctant to that for a variety of reasons. No doubt I will have
to bite the bullet.

One of the prime rules for an IT manager is to have a workable exit plan
in place. That's not a dumb thing for a hobbyist to do.

--
PeterN
Old July 31st 15, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/31/2015 1:04 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:

snip

I'm going to have to do that. I'm going to resuscitate an older
computer.

You might have to run in compatibility mode if the computer has a DNR
order in place.

--
PeterN
Old July 31st 15, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/31/2015 1:07 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 00:16:16 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 7/30/2015 8:30 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:08:39 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Probably longer for me. I used to be able to decently do basics in Unix
caommand lkine. The operating principle is not all that much different
with DOS command lines. Both are fairly simple and quick. But I have
forgotten the syntax for conditional execution of cammands.

...and you would really have to be careful with regard to those typos
you are vulnerable to these days.

no ****. one minor typo and you could be looking at a complete
reinstall.

Bull****

it's definitely not bull****.

Renaming a bunch of image files can lead to needing a complete
reinstall? I still say Bull****. I suppose now you are going to
redifine what you mean by a complete reinstall.

If I use a command such as DEL *.*, there would be some issues. But that
would not by any rational definition, be a "minor typo."

Nor would Windows let you wipe the system with just a single command.
However I remember you could construct a single recursive command in
Unix that would enable you to do that.

Yep!, but that would not be a minor typo.

--
PeterN
Old July 31st 15, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/31/2015 1:13 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 00:07:19 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 7/30/2015 7:01 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 15:56:02 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 7/30/2015 3:13 PM, nospam wrote:
Savageduck wrote:

This requires pretty good skills with string manipulation in the command
line. Not common these days. (It would take me an hour to get there
again - been too long).

Probably longer for me. I used to be able to decently do basics in Unix
caommand lkine. The operating principle is not all that much different
with DOS command lines. Both are fairly simple and quick. But I have
forgotten the syntax for conditional execution of cammands.

...and you would really have to be careful with regard to those typos
you are vulnerable to these days.

no ****. one minor typo and you could be looking at a complete
reinstall.

Gee dad, it's a Wurlitzer!

It's funny you'd say that. I have an Arturia Wurly V software synth,
and I've had nothing but problems with it. At least 3 reinstalls so
far. It's those damn arrogant French software companies. Them, and
DXO.

My proposal for my thesis in computer science was based upon a different
method of converting musical notations to sound and converting digital
sound to written notes, that would incorporate undertones, overtones,
accents, and attentuation.

Was this before MIDI?

It included an analysis of the major issues
with the current sustem. My proposal was approved, but for personal
reasons I decided not to pursue a masters degree.

Pretty much any idea with music has been converted to software reality
by now. You missed out.

Watchagonnado!

(try translating that with Google, though most in the USA know what it
means.

The expression was originally a widely copied advertising slogan. In my
narrow area of NYC it became a polite and sarcastic way of telling
someone they were FOS.

I knew it sounded familiar, but I couldn't remember any context for
it.

--
PeterN
Old July 31st 15, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

If I use a command such as DEL *.*, there would be some issues. But that
would not by any rational definition, be a "minor typo."

Accidentally renaming system files, or any critical files, could
result from a minor typo. I've made plenty of catastrophic errors with
computers, but I was lucky enough to always be able to fix them. It
was an obsession to never have to do a reinstall with Windows.

Or playing with the registry, as I did, once. That one needed a complete
reinstall. (Note I only did that one once.)

--
PeterN
Old July 31st 15, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/31/2015 1:45 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Bill W
wrote:

I completely agree with all of your claims on this subject, but I also
completely agree with everyone who is disagreeing with you.

that makes no sense

Once more your onw words prove your keen sense of humor. (Or, is it hubris.)
Come to think of it, can one have a false sense of hubris? Tony Cooper
help me on this.

--
PeterN
Old July 31st 15, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/31/2015 2:42 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 01:45:52 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I completely agree with all of your claims on this subject, but I also
completely agree with everyone who is disagreeing with you.

that makes no sense

You are indisputably correct in a high pressure environment where
every wasted minute can have serious consequences. On the other hand,
someone who takes a group of photos every 3 years is not going to
benefit much from learning asset manager software, and if you don't
learn how to use it, that then becomes a waste of time when you fumble
around trying to find your photos. It takes me about 2 seconds to
rename a batch of photos, but it would take anyone days to learn how
to correctly use asset manager software to its full capabilities. One
size rarely fits all.

And that rare occasion is a nospam method. (I thought you knew that.)

--
PeterN