Digital to film

Old March 29th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Digital to film

Is there a slick way of putting digital images on film other than a copy
stand and shooting film of a print? I have a number of digital images that
I have photochoped or want as transparencies or negs, preferably on 120. I
can still do things in the darkroom that I can't do digitally and
vise-versa.

Old March 29th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 03:47:58 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Is there a slick way of putting digital images on film other than a copy
stand and shooting film of a print?

Virtually any decent lab has a film recorder to do this. Check out the
lab I use at http://www.chromatics.com/ . I've dealt with several and
they are the best.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old March 29th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. com...
Is there a slick way of putting digital images on film other than a copy
stand and shooting film of a print? I have a number of digital images
that I have photochoped or want as transparencies or negs, preferably on
120. I can still do things in the darkroom that I can't do digitally and
vise-versa.

Try http://www.imagers.com/ .

I've used them to make 35mm slides from digital files.

You can upload your files via FTP.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old April 1st 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Tom Gardner" wrote in
. com:

Is there a slick way of putting digital images on film other than a
copy stand and shooting film of a print? I have a number of digital
images that I have photochoped or want as transparencies or negs,
preferably on 120. I can still do things in the darkroom that I can't
do digitally and vise-versa.

If you put unexposed film in a film scanner, and set your computer's
TWAIN driver to "Export", this will send the active image back out to the
scanner which will expose the film.

This, naturally, has to be done in complete darkness, so chances are
you'll have to turn the monitor off and cover all those damn LEDs with
black tape. An optical mouse is out of the question.

You'll probably want to mark your mouse pad with braille notes as to
the exact positions to move and click, since you won't be able to see the
pointer. Also, remain extremely quiet lest you introduce scanner noise.

Good luck!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old April 1st 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Al Denelsbeck" wrote
If you put unexposed film in a film scanner, and set your computer's
TWAIN driver to "Export", this will send the active image back out to the
scanner which will expose the film.

Not that far off, imagine the CCD is replaced by a red/green/blue
led/s.s.laser
array.

A 'flying spot scanner' scans the subject with a spot of light, measuring
the total returned light from the subject. A film recorder replaces the
subject with a sheet of film and modulates the spot of light as it scans
across the film.

A drum scanner can be a film recorder if the photodetector is replaced with
a modulated light source.

Early fax machines worked in this fashion: to receive you placed fax paper
on the drum, to send you placed the original photo on the drum. Hence the
use of 'put it on the spinner' for 'fax it'. Also the origin of 'wire
photo'.

In sum, the idea of an 'Export' button for the TWAIN driver is well over a
hundred years too late:

http://www.hffax.de/html/hauptteil_faxhistory.htm

Old April 1st 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Al Denelsbeck" wrote in message
. 7...
"Tom Gardner" wrote in
. com:

[...]

All good, but I can't do braille as I lost all my fingertips in an
accident...reminds me to thank my "true" friends pick my nose for me...

I'v taken to taping film to the screen on my digital camera and turning it
on and off real quick. Works perfectly!

Old April 2nd 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Tom Gardner spake thus:

Is there a slick way of putting digital images on film other than a copy
stand and shooting film of a print? I have a number of digital images that
I have photochoped or want as transparencies or negs, preferably on 120. I
can still do things in the darkroom that I can't do digitally and
vise-versa.

Don't know exactly how to do this, but one piece of advice I can offer:
if you find a service bureau that can make film from your file, have
them do it on something larger than 35mm. No point in limiting the
resolution of the film if you can use something larger (like 6x8, 6x9,
etc.).

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Old April 3rd 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 22:50:06 -0500, "Ken Hart" wrote:

I've found that an even bettter method is to tape a piece of color sheet
film to the monitor, and turn it on and off real fast. Be sure to leave the
monitor on for at least two scan cycles so that you get both of the
interlaced scans. If you don't have the means to process sheet film, after
exposing it, cut it into 1" wide strips, tape them together end-to-end, and
spool them into a 35mm film can. Then you can take it to WalMart for
processing. After processing, tape the strips back together with Scotch
brand "Magic" tape.
By using sheet film on the monitor, the "dots" are smaller in relation to
the total image size.

Time to go ULF and get a 27" LCD monitor !

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old April 3rd 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Tom Gardner" wrote in
. com:

Is there a slick way of putting digital images on film other than a
copy stand and shooting film of a print? I have a number of digital
images that I have photochoped or want as transparencies or negs,
preferably on 120. I can still do things in the darkroom that I can't
do digitally and vise-versa.

Google about Propalette & Polaroid, I have it ( HR6000 ) but only for
35mm and Polaroid Pack films ...

Stéphane

--
Stephane Schmuck - Junkerstr. 5 - 53177 Bonn - Germany
http://www.sck-photo.de ( For E-Mail remove the _nospam to write me )
Old April 6th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 20:08:56 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Don't know exactly how to do this, but one piece of advice I can offer:
if you find a service bureau that can make film from your file, have
them do it on something larger than 35mm. No point in limiting the
resolution of the film if you can use something larger (like 6x8, 6x9,
etc.).

Putting the image on bigger film does not magically create more detail
and resolution. Nor would the vast majority of digital images tax the
capabilities of even 35mm film. If you're talking about captures from
a D2x, a EOS 1Ds-MkII, or a Hassy/Leaf/etc. medium format back, you
would be at the edges of even the finest grained 35mm slide stock at
12, 16, 22 megapixels, with the last probably requiring a larger
negative to express.
--
Rob on the Web - Trouble In Paradise
http://rob.rnovak.net