Lenses and sharpening

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 16th 14, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Lenses and sharpening

On 2014-09-16 02:59:40 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 04:36:08 +0200, android wrote:

In article ,
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

All adjustments made to *Smart Objects*, in Photoshop terms, are
non-destructive.

I fully expect you to tell me I am wrong.

I will tell you that you are discussing a point which is not the point
raised by Floyd. So too is nospam, but that is not surprising.

Floyd was referring to a reversible function: run it forwards and you
get sharpening; run it backwards and you get blur. Or the other way
around if you wish.

there are indeed such functions, but that doesn't matter to users. they
want to edit photos, not learn mathematical theory.

when a user can modify an image and change it later, it's reversible
and that's why it's called a non-destructive workflow.

Squirm all you like, but USM is well known to be a
non-reversible function.

Oki... A reversible function and ditto workflow ain't the same thing. ;-)

I doubt if nospam can get his mind around that thought. :-(

You might have notice that android addressed that comment to Floyd.

A non-destructive workflow makes that irreversible function very
reversible indeed.

Once that working copy has had USM applied, the layers merged, and
compressed into a JPEG (a destructive action) then Floyd is correct,
the function can no longer be reversed. However, Floyd doesn't see the
concept of the non-destructive workflow because he doesn't, or appears
not to use one. He certainly isn't using what is available to those
running either Lightroom or Photoshop CS6/CC/CC 2014, and ignores that
some here have the ability to take advantage of a non-destructive, or
"reversible" workflow because of the software tools installed on their
computers.

Savageduck