Soccer team pic

Old May 27th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jazu

Default Soccer team pic

Let's say you doing soccer team portrait. Would you you use wide agle lens
and come closer to team or zoom them from longer distance?

Old May 27th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
pboud

jazu wrote:
Let's say you doing soccer team portrait. Would you you use wide agle lens
and come closer to team or zoom them from longer distance?

Likely a bit of both.. the wide angle would make for an interesting feel
to the shot, though depending on the 'wide', the distortion may not be
acceptable (assuming you are including *very* wide angle lenses here).
The Zoom would allow you to get everyone without distortion, but doesn't
have the 'close in' feel that a wide angle would give you.

Take a few of both types and see which works better for you

P.
Old May 30th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

jazu wrote:
Let's say you doing soccer team portrait. Would you you use wide agle lens
and come closer to team or zoom them from longer distance?

I'd go all out: I'd use a 300 or 400mm lens from quite close and
make a panorama out of it. Think of how many pixels your
finished panorama will have!

Works best if you freeze the soccer team first --- let them
stand there during a blizzard, then *carefully* blow away the
snow without thawing them. Any funny looking skin can be
handled by white balance.

On the other hand, a very wide angle has something as well ---
the people close to the borders are gonna look much spacier.
Useful to frighten the opposition.

-Wolfgang
Old May 30th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
pboud

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
jazu wrote:
Let's say you doing soccer team portrait. Would you you use wide agle lens
and come closer to team or zoom them from longer distance?

I'd go all out: I'd use a 300 or 400mm lens from quite close and
make a panorama out of it. Think of how many pixels your
finished panorama will have!

Works best if you freeze the soccer team first --- let them
stand there during a blizzard, then *carefully* blow away the
snow without thawing them. Any funny looking skin can be
handled by white balance.

On the other hand, a very wide angle has something as well ---
the people close to the borders are gonna look much spacier.
Useful to frighten the opposition.

-Wolfgang

Thank you for your useful and insightful answer to this question.

P.
Old May 31st 08, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Pat wrote:
On May 27, 9:59?am, "jazu" wrote:
Let's say you doing soccer team portrait. Would you you use wide agle lens
and come closer to team or zoom them from longer distance?

I would use my 28-80 zoom. Other than saying that, the rest all
depends on home much room you have and how many players there are.

You don't want to be so close as to fish-eye anyone. But by the same
token, you want to be close enough for a litte fill flash and
highlight in the eyes.

Only the flash needs to be close enough. You only have to be as close
as the flash if you're using a flash which is attached to the
camera. Which is the easiest flash to use, but generally speaking
gives the worst results.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[