Lens Cap needs repair!!! Oly 5060

Old July 25th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

Default Lens Cap needs repair!!! Oly 5060

Simple problem but not sure how to tackle it.
The lens cap had a felt rim just inside so it sat on the lens snugly.
The felt rim has dropped off (somewhere) and the cap doesn't fit so
wondering how to do a repair.

Help appreciated

Ken

Old July 25th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

Ken wrote:
Simple problem but not sure how to tackle it.
The lens cap had a felt rim just inside so it sat on the lens snugly.
The felt rim has dropped off (somewhere) and the cap doesn't fit so
wondering how to do a repair.

Help appreciated

Ken

I would just look for a new lens cap.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old July 25th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

On Jul 26, 1:03 am, JoeBS wrote:

just make it mandatory to destroy any fetus with the genetics for a sub-average
IQ. That's a good 90% of them. As it is now the human race is going right into

Now then, it is certainly possible for 90% of the population to have
IQ below the average, but that would require a few extremely high
values to hugely skew the average....

Oh I know! It's you who does it!

Old July 26th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

JoeBS wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:52:21 +0100, "Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:

Simple problem but not sure how to tackle it.
The lens cap had a felt rim just inside so it sat on the lens snugly.
The felt rim has dropped off (somewhere) and the cap doesn't fit so
wondering how to do a repair.

Help appreciated

Ken

Why do people turn a super-simple craft project into some
rocket-science dilemma requiring net-access, a computer, and advice
from others? I bet even a kindergartner would know how to fix this
without having to ask for help. This goes far beyond the meanings of
helpless and hopeless.

Frankly your comments are totally uncalled for. I suspect the OP
already had gotten as far as your suggestions and was hoping to find someone
who had some real experience.

I hope you were just trying to be funny and failed. If not I have far
more respect for the OP.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old July 26th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Arthur Shapiro

In article , "Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:
Simple problem but not sure how to tackle it.
The lens cap had a felt rim just inside

I had the same problem on my Oly C-700. I never did find out what had
vanished from the cap, but can believe your mention of a felt ring.

I replaced it with a ten buck aftermarket item called (I think) an OlyCap.
It's a flip-open cap permanently hinged to a ring that snuggly fits around the
lens protrusion. What a pleasure! I'm not certain the product is made for
your model, but a simply Google search will find the web site.

Art
Old July 26th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:08:17 -0400, Joseph Meehan wrote:

. . . I bet even a kindergartner would know how to fix this
without having to ask for help. This goes far beyond the meanings of
helpless and hopeless.

Frankly your comments are totally uncalled for. I suspect the OP
already had gotten as far as your suggestions and was hoping to find someone
who had some real experience.

I hope you were just trying to be funny and failed. If not I have far
more respect for the OP.

Unfortunately, no. He's just one of our familiar pests, already
on the latest version of the :

**** CHDK / Photoline 32 / anti-DSLR Sock Puppet Troll List ****

Baumbadier, Brad M, CharleiD, CoolGuy, DOCJohnson, EdBancroft,
, Fed-Up-With-Corel, FrankLM, GilfordBrimly,
GoKiting, HokusPokus, JoeBS, Lurk, NameHere, New2_S3,
, RockyZ, SayWhat, SelfImporantName,
SelfImportantName, Soujourner, spamless, TryinToHelp, WillyWonka
and X-Man.

BTW, its suggestion of using velcro material isn't the best. Most
stores that sell velcro also sell adhesive backed felt pads,
available in several thicknesses, and in strips, circles, squares
and tiny dots. The thinnest available would probably be best, and
it can be easily cut into the proper shape using scissors.

Old July 26th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Ken wrote:
Simple problem but not sure how to tackle it.
The lens cap had a felt rim just inside so it sat on the lens snugly.
The felt rim has dropped off (somewhere) and the cap doesn't fit so
wondering how to do a repair.

Help appreciated

Ken

A new one costs less than $6, so I don't think I'd spend a lot of time
working out a way to replace the felt.

"http://www.adorama.com/IOMCC5060.html"

To repair it, buy a thin piece of felt at a fabric store and cut a strip
with a paper cutter, and glue it on somehow.
Old July 26th 07, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"SMS" wrote in message
Ken wrote:
Simple problem but not sure how to tackle it.
The lens cap had a felt rim just inside so it sat on the lens snugly.
The felt rim has dropped off (somewhere) and the cap doesn't fit so
wondering how to do a repair.

Help appreciated

Ken

A new one costs less than $6, so I don't think I'd spend a lot of time
working out a way to replace the felt.

"http://www.adorama.com/IOMCC5060.html"

To repair it, buy a thin piece of felt at a fabric store and cut a strip
with a paper cutter, and glue it on somehow.

Thanks to all who have offered tips. Before posting I googled thinking I
would just buy a new one. After quite a bit of time I realised (in the UK) I
was not able to find anyone who sold them and those that did were out of
stock with minimum 28 day delivery. I need to get into a camera shop to see
if they have generic products but will try phoning first. Such a simple item
but one I feel I really should have.

Perhaps USA shops may deliver to the UK?

Ken

Old July 26th 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:21:37 +0100, "Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
.. .
Ken wrote:
[...]

I'm sure they do, Check with http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Is there some substitute cap you could use? I have been using the lid
from a peanut can on my Bronica for years.
Old July 26th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
Simple problem but not sure how to tackle it.
The lens cap had a felt rim just inside so it sat on the lens snugly.
The felt rim has dropped off (somewhere) and the cap doesn't fit so
wondering how to do a repair.

Help appreciated

Ken

That is what comes of buying a crap camera.

Next time you are spending money on one, do not buy it unless it has a
proper spring loaded lens cap. The last camera I owned which only had a
piece of felt to hold on the lens caps was a Miranda F, bought in the early
1960s.

Roy G

Canon lens repair [email protected] Digital SLR Cameras 5 January 11th 07 10:44 PM
HELP...lens repair Barry Digital SLR Cameras 4 October 6th 06 03:54 AM
Repair lens MikeM 35mm Photo Equipment 2 April 6th 05 12:31 AM
Konica Hexar lens repair dave 35mm Photo Equipment 5 March 14th 05 02:10 AM
Old Bronica S lens repair? EZela57383 Medium Format Photography Equipment 1 March 24th 04 03:08 AM