Using LCD screen to shoot photos in DSLR

Old July 21st 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Using LCD screen to shoot photos in DSLR

I saw the new Olympus E-Volt 410 and it reminds me much of the old
OM-1 camera.... a relatively small digital SLR and it looks very
stylish, and lean. In those days, the introduction of the OM-1 got a
very favourable reviews. I could not find a more "sexier" SLR camera
than the OM-1 (as well as the OM-3). In the new digital SLR E-410, I
also find out that Olympus appears to try the lead for a "live preview
DSLR", which means that you can use the LCD to look at the object
before you push the shutter button.
I think most of other DSLR requires you to look at the eye piece in
order to shoot an object. What other DSLR has this capabilities? I
heard Fuji Pro S3 has similar feature. Any others? and will there be
other camera manufacturers to follow this trend?

Old July 21st 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Sommers

Several Olympus models starting with the E-10 several years ago. Today I
have a Panasonic DMC-L1 with "Live View", just like the newer Olympus DSLRs.

Bye.

oups.com...

Old July 21st 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Nguyen

On Jul 21, 9:07 am, wrote:
I saw the new Olympus E-Volt 410 and it reminds me much of the old
OM-1 camera.... a relatively small digital SLR and it looks very
stylish, and lean. In those days, the introduction of the OM-1 got a
very favourable reviews. I could not find a more "sexier" SLR camera
than the OM-1 (as well as the OM-3). In the new digital SLR E-410, I
also find out that Olympus appears to try the lead for a "live preview
DSLR", which means that you can use the LCD to look at the object
before you push the shutter button.
I think most of other DSLR requires you to look at the eye piece in
order to shoot an object. What other DSLR has this capabilities? I
heard Fuji Pro S3 has similar feature. Any others? and will there be
other camera manufacturers to follow this trend?

Canon 20Da, the astronomy version.

Old July 21st 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
babaloo

The usefulness of this feature is in the eye of the beholder.
The teeny LCD image does not accurately convey whether highlights hold
detail, shadow detail etc. The little screen does not accurately convey
vignetting or other edge effects. In truth, even histograms are not all that
useful apart from relatively flatly lit scenes because they do not convey
information about what image information at the extremes will hold adequate
detail. The image preview is not all that accurate compared to a final jpeg
and has no relationship to what the raw data holds.
Live preview is not as useful as image stabiliation built into the camera.
Here Olympus was a leader but their stabilization is reportedly quite anemic
in the 510, about one stop.

Old July 21st 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

On Jul 21, 11:35 am, "babaloo" wrote:
The usefulness of this feature is in the eye of the beholder.
The teeny LCD image does not accurately convey whether highlights hold
detail, shadow detail etc.

I think the cameras have both highlight and shadow alert displays that
show you the result of the exposure setting on the scene.

Old July 21st 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:
I saw the new Olympus E-Volt 410 and it reminds me much of the old
OM-1 camera.... a relatively small digital SLR and it looks very
stylish, and lean. In those days, the introduction of the OM-1 got a
very favourable reviews. I could not find a more "sexier" SLR camera
than the OM-1 (as well as the OM-3). In the new digital SLR E-410, I
also find out that Olympus appears to try the lead for a "live preview
DSLR", which means that you can use the LCD to look at the object
before you push the shutter button.
I think most of other DSLR requires you to look at the eye piece in
order to shoot an object. What other DSLR has this capabilities? I
heard Fuji Pro S3 has similar feature. Any others? and will there be
other camera manufacturers to follow this trend?

"Live preview" is a marketing ploy that is exactly the opposite
of what it really does. The time to read data off the sensor
and display it on an LCD should actually be called
"Delayed preview." The only true live preview is the
the optical view a DSLR gives, delayed only by the speed of
light. Sports and wildlife action photographers use
optical true live preview of DSLRs. To degrade to
LCD "live preview" would result in many missed images.

Roger
Old July 21st 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

On Jul 21, 8:20 pm, "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)"
wrote:

"Live preview" is a marketing ploy that is exactly the opposite
of what it really does. The time to read data off the sensor
and display it on an LCD should actually be called
"Delayed preview." The only true live preview is the
the optical view a DSLR gives, delayed only by the speed of
light. Sports and wildlife action photographers use
optical true live preview of DSLRs. To degrade to
LCD "live preview" would result in many missed images.

Well I'd love to have a swiveling LCD which could show a real-time
image through the lens (or "slightly delayed", if you prefer). It
would be extremely useful for shots from awkward angles, macro etc. If
it's slow, that's fine with me, for these purposes (I prefer an
optical viewfinder for most other things). I have a compact (minolta
z3) which has what looks like 60fps refresh rate in bright light, so
it can't be that hard to speed up the preview. And I have to say, I've
never missed a single image due to the delay of the preview with that
camera (although I've missed loads because of its AF, and get
extremely irritated in low light when its refresh rate drops-I really
can't stand anything being slower than my reaction time). But I don't
shoot sports or anything like that.

Old July 21st 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

X-Man wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:20:49 -0600, "Roger N. Clark (change username to
rnclark)" wrote:

"Live preview" is a marketing ploy that is exactly the opposite
of what it really does. The time to read data off the sensor
and display it on an LCD should actually be called
"Delayed preview." The only true live preview is the
the optical view a DSLR gives, delayed only by the speed of
light. Sports and wildlife action photographers use
optical true live preview of DSLRs. To degrade to
LCD "live preview" would result in many missed images.

Roger

Only untalented snap-shot hacks would not learn to use their tools properly.
Missing shots and then blaming it on the camera. They're the very same people
that have to spend $5,000 on photography equipment so the cost will magically
turn them into a photographer. They can never seem to spend enough to try become
a photographer, always wondering why their camera is never good enough to make
them into one. I fail to see where a preview-lag that matches the same speed as
the shutter would in any way make someone miss a photo.
The only thing you can
blame is the speed of your own neuron activity, the ones mostly between your
ears. Perhaps this is why you keep believing this, look at what is telling you
these erroneous things. Your own mind trying to compensate for its own drastic
and self-crippling limitations.

This troll has demonstrated it knows nothing about the delays in various
cameras, nor why professional wildlife and sports photographers
use high end DSLRs.

Cameras with "live preview" must work in a fast, lower grade
video image mode to get data off the sensor. These cameras
typically use this video rate to autofocus, so when you
press the shutter button, the camera must hunt for the
best focus limited by the video rates from the chip.
Once focus is achieved, the video mode is stopped, the
pixels electronically "erased" and mode changed to
acquire a full resolution image. Then the shutter
is opened (mechanical or electronic). During this time,
the subject, when imaging action, has likely moved and the
focus is now off.

In DSLRs, separate AF sensors monitor and track focus when the
mirror is down while you look at a true live preview: the optical
viewfinder. The system tracks focus on moving subjects and when
you press the shutter button, the focus position is predicted
for the time the shutter actually opens, including calibrated and
known delays of raising the mirror. The time to raise the mirror
and expose the sensor in fast DSLRs (about 50 to 60 milliseconds)
is small in comparison to the time to stop video feed, prep the sensor
and expose the sensor in a "live preview" camera.

Roger
Old July 21st 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

"Live preview" is a marketing ploy that is exactly the opposite
of what it really does. The time to read data off the sensor
and display it on an LCD should actually be called
"Delayed preview." The only true live preview is the
the optical view a DSLR gives, delayed only by the speed of
light. Sports and wildlife action photographers use
optical true live preview of DSLRs. To degrade to
LCD "live preview" would result in many missed images.

Well I'd love to have a swiveling LCD which could show a real-time
image through the lens (or "slightly delayed", if you prefer).

On Canon DSLRs (and SLRs) you can buy a right-angle finder for about
$180. It swivels to any angle, and even magnifies the view.
I assume other manufacturers have similar devices.
If you are in a lab/studio environment, you could also add a web cam
and hook it up to a computer for remote viewing.