Canon 350D. How to stop the film rewind sound?

Old May 14th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Canon 350D. How to stop the film rewind sound?

Hello,
Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

Old May 14th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The sounds you get are entirely mechanical and inherent in any camera
with a mirror and a proper shutter*:
The mirror must be raised rapidly and decelerated
even more rapidly.
The first curtain of the shutter must open.
The second curtain of the shutter must close.
The mirror must return.
The shutter must be rewound.
These all make noise, some SLR cameras are quitter than others, my film
SLR is much louder that my 350D.

I would like a digital range finder with an APS-C sensor and a leaf
shutter for circumstances which dictate near silent operation.

* I a do not know how the new Olympus performs in all modes.

In article . com,
writes

--
Ian G8ILZ
Old May 14th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:
Hello,
Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

Turn it off immediately.

--
\lsmft\
Old May 14th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article , Prometheus
writes
Sorry,
Sorry,
Sorry,
Sorry,
Sorry,
Sorry,
Sorry,
Apologies for top posting; lunch was g-o-o-d.

--
Ian G8ILZ
Old May 14th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article , Bill
writes
Prometheus wrote:

The sounds you get are entirely mechanical and inherent in any camera
with a mirror and a proper shutter*:

Actually I don't believe it is.

The Canon XT/350D produces a film-advance type of sound that doesn't
appear to be related to the mirror slapping or shutters - the sound is
heard immediately after those actions.

You can listen to the XT and 20D he
http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/digital_rebel_xt/

The "film advance" sound occurs just after the shutter closes and most
certainly does not emanate from the sounder used for the beep, it sound
deep in the centre of the camera, hence my contention that it is the
shutter being rewound. The 20D has a comparable sound just after taking
a picture, perhaps the mechanism is smother and faster in action
(greater shutter life and fps).
--
Ian G8ILZ
Old May 14th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Listen to those noises again. It sounds EXACTLY like a tennis game on
T.V. I kept expecting someone to shout "OUT".

Old May 14th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Pat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Listen to those noises again. It sounds EXACTLY like a tennis game on
T.V. I kept expecting someone to shout "OUT".

OUT? You CANNOT be serious!

Bob

Old May 14th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

Canon's ZoomBrowser EX software can set sounds effects on cameras.
Any possibility that this has been done with your 350d?

I've definitely not experimented with my 350d in case I set up an effect I
do not like
(such as an animal call when I fire the shutter) and cannot undo it.

Regards, Ian.