B&H and Adorama Closed!

Old October 22nd 05, 03:46 PM
Skip M

Default B&H and Adorama Closed!

"carrigman" wrote in message

All to do with a Jewish holiday, I understand. Surely they have enough
non-Jewish employees to cater for the rest of us? I didn't see any other
major New York stores closed for religious reasons and I think it is
outrageous for these two firms to treat its customers like this.

John,
Ireland

Imagine yourself to be a Muslim, shopping in NYC for the first time, and
you've decided to go to Macy's. Much to your dismay, they are so
inconsiderate as to be closed, and on December 25th, too!

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old October 22nd 05, 04:15 PM
Cynicor

John A. Stovall wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:20:15 +0100, "carrigman"
wrote:

I'm just back from a trip to New York City where high on my agenda was a
visit to B&H to buy a Canon lens. Off I went one morning only to find the
store closed for the week. No word of explanation. No matter, there was
always Adorama. So I hightailed it down to West 18th Street only to find
myself, together with a bunch of other bemused photographers, staring at
shuttered windows and a notice saying they too were closed for the week!

All to do with a Jewish holiday, I understand. Surely they have enough
non-Jewish employees to cater for the rest of us? I didn't see any other
major New York stores closed for religious reasons and I think it is
outrageous for these two firms to treat its customers like this.

And just how much were you going to spend? I'm very happy they close
for religious reasons. It shows a quality lacking in the world of
commerce today.

I think the 6K I've spent with them this year will make up for your
not doing business with them.

When I was there a week or two ago, they handed out a slip to everyone
as they exited, listing which days they'd be closed in October. True,
that only helps frequent visitors, but they did make an effort.

As I first looked at the slip, I wondered if they could keep the place
open with non-Jewish help, but I agree wholeheartedly. B&H is showing
that at least for one store, it's not about the money. (And if you've
ever been to B&H, you know that it's not just about the money.)
Old October 22nd 05, 04:57 PM
Don Wiss

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:09:13 -0400, Charles wrote:

The other major stores in New York are open because most Jews are not
of that Orthodox persuasion like most of those employed at B&H and
Adorama. And no, they don't have enough employees who are not of that
Orthodox persuasion to keep the stores open.

Actually in the Orthodox community there is a bit of disagreement about not
working for the entire Sukkos period. All agree that they can't work at the
beginning and end, but some feel it is okay to work in the middle. So in
the middle days many take a middle position. They don't go into work, but
they will do work at home. And then some do go into work on the middle
days.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old October 22nd 05, 05:00 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"carrigman" wrote in message
I'm just back from a trip to New York City where high on my agenda was a
visit to B&H to buy a Canon lens. Off I went one morning only to find the
store closed for the week. No word of explanation. No matter, there was
always Adorama. So I hightailed it down to West 18th Street only to find
myself, together with a bunch of other bemused photographers, staring at
shuttered windows and a notice saying they too were closed for the week!

All to do with a Jewish holiday, I understand. Surely they have enough
non-Jewish employees to cater for the rest of us? I didn't see any other
major New York stores closed for religious reasons and I think it is
outrageous for these two firms to treat its customers like this.

I think many people could do with a remedial course in religious culture,
respect, and tolerance.

--

Rob
"A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

Old October 22nd 05, 05:03 PM
(PeteCresswell)

Per carrigman:
I think it is
outrageous for these two firms to treat its customers like this.

When's the last time anybody found stores open on Christmas Day in a
predominately Christian area? I've seen it, but my thought has always been
that somebody should get a life and just close the place for that day.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 22nd 05, 05:10 PM
Bill Funk

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:15:09 -0400, "Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04
@aol.com wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

When's the last time anybody found stores open on Christmas Day in a
predominately Christian area? I've seen it, but my thought has
always been that somebody should get a life and just close the place
for that day.

What's Christmas? It's just another busy shopping day for most. It's sad
to say Christmas caved into the almighty dollar.

Rita

Here in Phoenix, Christmas is definitely NOT a busy shopping day; most
stores are closed.
Now, the day *AFTER* Christmas...

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old October 22nd 05, 05:11 PM
Steven Wandy

All to do with a Jewish holiday, I understand. Surely they have enough
non-Jewish employees to cater for the rest of us?

It has nothing to do with the amount of non-Jewish employees. If the owner
is Jewish,
he is not supposed to conduct business (interpret this as make money) on
some of the
more important holidays (Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, First and last days of
Succoth, First days of Passover) and Sabbath (Saturday) regardless of if he
has non-Jewish
help. They are still making money for him.

Old October 22nd 05, 06:15 PM
Stephen M. Dunn

In article Charles writes:
$The other major stores in New York are open because most Jews are not
$of that Orthodox persuasion like most of those employed at B&H and
$Adorama. And no, they don't have enough employees who are not of that
$Orthodox persuasion to keep the stores open.

Actually, there's more (or less, depending on your point of view) to
it than that.

Different Jews have different views of what the rules are (just
as in other religions; I once dated a girl who claimed to be Catholic
but didn't feel that the Catholic prohibition of premarital sex applied
to her). Those towards the more Orthodox end of the scale, of course,
won't work on the Sabbath and on holidays. And if they're far enough
towards that end of the scale, they're also forbidden to cause work to
be done, even if they're not doing the work themselves. Some ultra-
Orthodox Jews won't even turn on a light or an appliance on the
Sabbath, for instance. And that extends to causing employees to
do work for them. Even if you have plenty of non-Jewish (or Jewish
but not Orthodox or observant) staff who could work without violating
their personal religious views, your store still has to be closed.
--
Stephen M. Dunn