Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro DF Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

Old March 26th 05, 02:17 AM
Digi - Reb

Default Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro DF Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

I own 3 Canon lenses,
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 that came w/ Digital Rebel
EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 V USM that came w/EOS Elan II
EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 III USM.
Since "quality" Canon glass is somewhat out of my price range this is the
lens I'm considering as my walk around lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=350973&is=REG
also considering...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=284399&is=REG

Any thoughts or user testimonials, both pro and con would be appreciated, as
well as any other serious recommendations.

TIA
John

Old March 26th 05, 04:15 AM
Douglas

"Digi - Reb" wrote in message
I own 3 Canon lenses,
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 that came w/ Digital Rebel
EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 V USM that came w/EOS Elan II
EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 III USM.
Since "quality" Canon glass is somewhat out of my price range this is the
lens I'm considering as my walk around lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=350973&is=REG
also considering...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=284399&is=REG

Any thoughts or user testimonials, both pro and con would be appreciated, as
well as any other serious recommendations.

TIA
John

If you can put up with a focus motor you can hear and one which is a triffle
slower than a Canon USM and you can handle the occasional miss focus. You
don't mind a Apochromatic lens producing chromatic aberrations on some
scenes. The Sigma is a product worth considering. I just sold one of these
(non macro) lenses after owning it for less than 6 months. Watch the line
wrap!!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....e=STRK:MESO:IT

There is no difference in the sharpness of the image this lens and my new
24~70 f2.8 L series produces under circumstances ideal to the Sigma lens.
There is lots of difference in other areas and I really don't mind having
sold 2, Sigma lenses to get one "L" series of this type. I found the 28~70
f2.8 Sigma I had on my 10D to be better than the new Sigma for Digitals. If
you care to take some advise from a previous owner... Try the 28~70 before
making a decission.

Douglas

Old March 26th 05, 08:17 AM
Steve Wolfe

I own 3 Canon lenses,
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 that came w/ Digital Rebel
EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 V USM that came w/EOS Elan II
EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 III USM.
Since "quality" Canon glass is somewhat out of my price range this is the
lens I'm considering as my walk around lens.

I personally like the 18-55 as a walk-around: Not because of quality
(it's obviously not stellar), but because going as wide as 18mm is often
very helpful to me - even though it isn't terribly "fast". Unless you don't
find that to be so, you might want to wait until you can scratch up enough
for:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=351548&is=USA

In fact, that lens would make the 18-55 useless, meaning you could sell it
on ebay, making the cost difference between that and the Sigma not very
great.

steve

Old March 26th 05, 09:39 PM
Ben Rosengart

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 01:17:43 GMT, Digi - Reb wrote:

Since "quality" Canon glass is somewhat out of my price range this is =
the
lens I'm considering as my walk around lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&A=3Ddetai=
ls&Q=3D&sku=3D350973&is=3DREG
also considering...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&A=3Ddetai=
ls&Q=3D&sku=3D284399&is=3DREG

These links just take me to the B&H front page, I'm afraid.
Probably because of the quoted-(un)printable encoding. It would
be better if you posted your message as regular text rather than
multipart MIME with text and HTML.

Any thoughts or user testimonials, both pro and con would be =
appreciated, as
well as any other serious recommendations.

Assuming we're talking about 20-something to 70-something f/2.8 zooms ...

Photozone.de disparages the Sigma 24-70 and talks up the Tamron 28-75.
Doesn't provide much detail though. Follow this link and look at
"Alternatives", underneath the table:

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/canonFAQ.htm#28L

They don't mention the Tokina 28-70, another competitor in this range.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Old March 26th 05, 11:12 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Ben Rosengart"

| On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 01:17:43 GMT, Digi - Reb wrote:

Since "quality" Canon glass is somewhat out of my price range this is =
the
lens I'm considering as my walk around lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&A=3Ddetai=
ls&Q=3D&sku=3D350973&is=3DREG
also considering...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&A=3Ddetai=
ls&Q=3D&sku=3D284399&is=3DREG

| These links just take me to the B&H front page, I'm afraid.
| Probably because of the quoted-(un)printable encoding. It would
| be better if you posted your message as regular text rather than
| multipart MIME with text and HTML.

Any thoughts or user testimonials, both pro and con would be =
appreciated, as
well as any other serious recommendations.

| Assuming we're talking about 20-something to 70-something f/2.8 zooms ...
|
| Photozone.de disparages the Sigma 24-70 and talks up the Tamron 28-75.
| Doesn't provide much detail though. Follow this link and look at
| "Alternatives", underneath the table:
|
| http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/canonFAQ.htm#28L
|
| They don't mention the Tokina 28-70, another competitor in this range.
|
| --
| Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
| Sometimes it only makes sense to focus our attention on those
| questions that are equal parts trivial and intriguing.
| --Josh Micah Marshall

Those URLs are fine but are wrapped. You can't just click on them becuase they are
incomplete. Just copy them and the line below them into notepad, unwrap them, copy the full
URL and past into the Browser line.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old March 26th 05, 11:29 PM
Ben Rosengart

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:12:05 GMT, David H. Lipman
wrote:

Those URLs are fine but are wrapped. You can't just click on them becuase they are
incomplete.

No sir, that is not the issue. It's the quoted-printable encoding
applied by the O.P.'s newsreader. Thank you anyway.

Old March 27th 05, 12:06 AM
David H. Lipman

From: "Ben Rosengart"

| No sir, that is not the issue. It's the quoted-printable encoding
| applied by the O.P.'s newsreader. Thank you anyway.
|
| --
| Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
| Sometimes it only makes sense to focus our attention on those
| questions that are equal parts trivial and intriguing.
| --Josh Micah Marshall

Then blame your News Reader -- slrn/0.9.8.0 (NetBSD) ;-)

Old March 27th 05, 02:14 AM
Douglas

From: "Ben Rosengart"

| No sir, that is not the issue. It's the quoted-printable encoding
| applied by the O.P.'s newsreader. Thank you anyway.

Then blame your News Reader -- slrn/0.9.8.0 (NetBSD) ;-)

--
Dave

You waste your time dave. If there is one person you could find more
dissagable than a Linux user it just has to be a BSD user. NetBSD at that!

This guy uses an oddball (to be kind) reader and expects it to recognise
advanced, non-complying (because it is advanced) features of a modern day
news reader. When it won't, he blames not his historic reader but the one
with features all the rest of us are used to having.

It's one thing to use an alternative operating system but another thing
alltogether to expect it to be as advanced as a bought one. For years users
of Unix like operating systems have predicted the imminent demise of
Microsoft as the dominant OS. Maybe if the 'ix developers ever did agree on
one point and make it seem possible, the next point would be in disagreement
and the whole thing fall over again. SLRN is hardly a leading edge package.

Old March 27th 05, 03:28 AM
Ben Rosengart

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:14:42 +1000, Douglas wrote:

You waste your time dave. If there is one person you could find more
dissagable than a Linux user it just has to be a BSD user. NetBSD at that!

It's true, don't try to sag me.

NetBSD isn't my choice, that's what my ISP (and employer) runs.
I'm posting from their machine.

This guy uses an oddball (to be kind) reader

Tsk, it would really be better if you weren't so snotty.

Old March 27th 05, 03:31 AM
Ben Rosengart

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:06:55 GMT, David H. Lipman
wrote:

Then blame your News Reader -- slrn/0.9.8.0 (NetBSD) ;-)

No. There's no good reason to post anything but text/plain to a
non-binary newsgroup.