Calling Mac Users....

Old January 6th 05, 02:30 PM
adm

Default Calling Mac Users....

There must be some in this ng.....

I'm interested in what you use to import and browse/organise photos for the
Mac. I have recently bought an iMac G5 as a family computer for my house,
and am finding that iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
suitable for serious use... The Mac though is a lovely piece of kit -
especially with the 20" widescreeen to edit photos and video on.

I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them into
a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all users of
that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their own directory
and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems trivial - but it
appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with the Mac. I have
disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default app tpo launch
when cameras or card readers are connected....

For editing, I have Photoshop CS already.

I also have trial versions of MediaView Pro and Graphic Converter installed.

Output goes either to the lab, or to an Epson Stylus colour Phot 925
connected to my XP machine in my office.

Old January 6th 05, 03:31 PM
C Wright

On 1/6/05 8:30 AM, in article , "adm"
wrote:

[...]

The only 'professional' iPhoto alternative that I know about is iView Media
Pro. I don't know if that is what you meant by MediaView Pro or not.
Regarding your iPhoto issue, have you tried posting to the Apple support
groups for a potential solution? I have received excellent answers to
several issues in those groups. There are a lot of advanced Mac users more
than willing to help. The Mac OS is built on top of Unix and if you don't
know it already Unix is big on 'permissions.' it may be possible to change
these permissions in iPhoto (I don't have that problem because basically I
am the only user of my Mac).
Chuck

Old January 6th 05, 04:04 PM
jpmcw

adm wrote:

[...]

You may want to ask the iPhoto question on a Mac group, but it can be done.

For editing, I have Photoshop CS already.

I also have trial versions of MediaView Pro and Graphic Converter installed.

Output goes either to the lab, or to an Epson Stylus colour Phot 925
connected to my XP machine in my office.

I'd use the file browser that's built in PS CS. You can append Meta
Data, rank and flag pictures, and a lot more. On the G-5 it'll move
right along, but on older macs it may be a bit slow.

Happy shooting and 'Shopping.

--
John McWilliams

Old January 6th 05, 04:47 PM
snakeeyes

Don't know for sure as I'm the only user of my iPhoto, but if you turn
on sharing all users should be able to view the photos and still have
their own library intact. Open iPhoto, then Preferences, Sharing and
click look for shared photos and share my photos, entire library. Do
this for all users. As I said, can't promise this will work, depends on
how much access you want I guess.

Old January 6th 05, 06:11 PM
adm

"C Wright" wrote in message
. ..
On 1/6/05 8:30 AM, in article , "adm"
wrote:

[...]

Yup - that's the one ! It looks great as well - but it's quite expensive....

Regarding your iPhoto issue, have you tried posting to the Apple support
groups for a potential solution? I have received excellent answers to
several issues in those groups. There are a lot of advanced Mac users more
than willing to help. The Mac OS is built on top of Unix and if you don't
know it already Unix is big on 'permissions.' it may be possible to change
these permissions in iPhoto (I don't have that problem because basically I
am the only user of my Mac).

I've tried setting permissions - but it's a pain - I need to learn more Unix
basically.....

The iMac G5 is a GREAT machine for Photoshop - the 20" widescreen is just
lovely.

Chuck

Old January 6th 05, 06:11 PM
adm

"C Wright" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 6th 05, 06:13 PM
adm

"jpmcw" wrote in message
adm wrote:

[...]

I'm trying that right now - but the responses so far haven't worked....

For editing, I have Photoshop CS already.

I also have trial versions of MediaView Pro and Graphic Converter
installed.

Output goes either to the lab, or to an Epson Stylus colour Phot 925
connected to my XP machine in my office.

I'd use the file browser that's built in PS CS. You can append Meta Data,
rank and flag pictures, and a lot more. On the G-5 it'll move right along,
but on older macs it may be a bit slow.

I seem to be doing that anyway - but I need something less complex for the
rest of my family. iPhoto would have been fine - but then it can't browse
photos that aren't in an iPhoto library....

And I don't WANT all my stuff imported into iPhoto anyway !

Happy shooting and 'Shopping.

Cheers

--
John McWilliams

Old January 6th 05, 06:14 PM
adm

"snakeeyes" wrote in message
oups.com...
Don't know for sure as I'm the only user of my iPhoto, but if you turn
on sharing all users should be able to view the photos and still have
their own library intact. Open iPhoto, then Preferences, Sharing and
click look for shared photos and share my photos, entire library. Do
this for all users. As I said, can't promise this will work, depends on
how much access you want I guess.

That works for photos that are in an iPhoto library. But the bulk of my
stuff is .NEF files on an XP machine in another room - and iPhoto can't work
with this !

Ah well - back to the Terminal then....