I started a 35mm B&W darkroom forum

Old December 15th 04, 10:01 AM
Dave

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 05:00:20 GMT, "Michael Hadac"
somehow managed to impart:

You're about 30 years too late...

Digital is in... Sorry not too many takers for that Ilford stuff.
Spent too many years with it, would never go back to it.

Michael.

That's exactly how I feel. I couldn't be bothered letting all that
chemistry and temperature control get in the way again. Enlargers
degrade the image as well, even with a good lens stopped right down.
Digital revitalised my photography.

Dave.

2180 hi-resolution photos especially Edinburgh &
Scotland. Also 3D rendered art & altered images.
* No advertisements * http://www.henniker.org.uk
Old December 15th 04, 03:13 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Dave" dave@hennikerDOTorgDOTuk wrote in message

Digital is in... Sorry not too many takers for that Ilford stuff.
Spent too many years with it, would never go back to it.

That's exactly how I feel. I couldn't be bothered letting all that
chemistry and temperature control get in the way again. Enlargers
degrade the image as well, even with a good lens stopped right down.
Digital revitalised my photography.

Just as, 100 years ago, chemical photography completely killed off the art
of drawing with a pencil. Now you can't get pencils anywhere. Right?

Old December 15th 04, 03:22 PM

You're joking, right?

Digital can't touch chemical photography.

Old December 15th 04, 04:59 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Michael A. Covington" wrote

Just as, 100 years ago, chemical photography completely killed off the art
of drawing with a pencil. Now you can't get pencils anywhere. Right?

Welllll, actually: half right.

Can't get a good ordinary office-style wood pencil anymo A Blackwing,
a #1 Venus Velvet ... they don't make them any more. The best I can
do is a Sanford Turquoise drawing pencil; I still have a '60s vintage
Blackwing for comparison and the Sanford is not even close.

A Pentel 0.5mm with 2B HiPolymer lead is the closest I can find to a
decent pencil.

So the only good pencils these days are for art, engineering and
architecture.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com

Old December 16th 04, 01:19 AM
Gregory Blank

Dave dave@hennikerDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

That's exactly how I feel. I couldn't be bothered letting all that
chemistry and temperature control get in the way again. Enlargers
degrade the image as well, even with a good lens stopped right down.
Digital revitalised my photography.

Why post to a darkroom newsgroup then if thats how you feel. Your wrong
btw. Its only those that have half the skills that completely prefer
digital "imop".

There is a digital newsgroup, if that's were you belong then stay there
please, otherwise can I put you in my killfile?

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old December 16th 04, 01:20 AM
Gregory Blank

In article ExPvd.516881$%k.367923@pd7tw2no,
"Michael Hadac" wrote:

You're about 30 years too late...

Digital is in... Sorry not too many takers for that Ilford stuff.
Spent too many years with it, would never go back to it.
Michael.

It may be in, but there will be regrets,...almost a guarantee.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old December 16th 04, 01:47 AM
Tom Phillips

Michael Hadac wrote:

You're about 30 years too late...

Digital is in...

About as "in" as replying to crossposts by trolls.

If you're as smart a digital imager as you are
a nsg reader, you're in real trouble....

Sorry not too many takers for that Ilford stuff.
Spent too many years with it, would never go back to it.

Michael.

"me" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...to35mmdarkroom

Are we talking genuine wet dark room, as in real photography?
Film, Ahhhh!
me

Old December 16th 04, 07:58 AM
Dave

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:19:03 GMT, Gregory Blank
somehow managed to impart:

In article ,
Dave dave@hennikerDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

That's exactly how I feel. I couldn't be bothered letting all that
chemistry and temperature control get in the way again. Enlargers
degrade the image as well, even with a good lens stopped right down.
Digital revitalised my photography.

Why post to a darkroom newsgroup then if thats how you feel. Your wrong
btw. Its only those that have half the skills that completely prefer
digital "imop".

I thought this was alt.photography. I used a darkroom for years and am
a former international exhibitor at the Edinburgh Festival. It's the
image that's important, not the method of production.

Old December 16th 04, 12:59 PM
Tom Phillips

Dave wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:19:03 GMT, Gregory Blank
somehow managed to impart:

In article ,
Dave dave@hennikerDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

That's exactly how I feel. I couldn't be bothered letting all that
chemistry and temperature control get in the way again. Enlargers
degrade the image as well, even with a good lens stopped right down.
Digital revitalised my photography.

Why post to a darkroom newsgroup then if thats how you feel. Your wrong
btw. Its only those that have half the skills that completely prefer
digital "imop".

I thought this was alt.photography.

Try (1) reading the headers and (2) learn how to recognize a
troll. The OP is trolling and crossposting. Your observations
and knowledge of nsgs appears as limited as your knowledge of
enlarging and optics...

Clearly, you've never seen an Ansel Adams mural sized
enlargement. No little P&S digital MP res will ever come
close to the enlargement quality possible with LF film.
Enlarging isn't the issue. It's the quality of the optics.
Digital also uses lenses (surprise) but due to *Nyquist*
limitations (look it up...) simply can't use the same high
quality optics film imaging can. A good leica lens is merely
wasted on a typical digital camera system.

I used a darkroom for years and am
a former international exhibitor at the Edinburgh Festival. It's the
image that's important, not the method of production.

Another "all that really counts is the picture on the wall"
excuse. If that were true, there'd be no distinction between
_any_ image. I.e., we (and every gallery owner everywhere)
wouldn't make distinctions between different mediums of
image making and the resulting type of prints. You have it
completely backwards -- or clearly haven't exhibited in too
many galleries, since what is _always_ noted is the _type_ of
image/print being displayed. People (curators and especially
buyers who plunk down their money for artwork) want to know
what type of image and process they're getting. It's sort of
the whole point.

Paintings are "images," as are X-rays (Man Ray), Carbon prints,
Cyanotypes, and even television. But they're different images
and different processes. Digital "images" are not photographs.
They're electronic data imaging produced photoelectrically.
There is no image, just data representing an image, until one
outputs that data in a print form. It may be an inkjet, a "giclee,"
or a Lightjet. But it's not a photograph same as a classic silver
image. Apples and oranges...