My last post

Old October 20th 04, 11:44 PM
Uranium Committee

Peter De Smidt pdesmidt*no*spam*@tds.*net* wrote in message ...
I've been participating in this newsgroup for close to 10 years. I've
learned a lot, especially from a small group of knowledgeable and
friendly people, many of whom have left. As we know, though, it only
takes one unfriendly and domineering poster to change the whole tenor of
the group, and we've got more than one! This should be a community where
we support each other by helping each of us become better photographers
and people. You know, a place where we give each other the benefit of
the doubt, get what others say right, and where we're generally able to
have reasonable and friendly discussion. This is especially important
where there's disagreement. As it is, participating in this forum is
just an unpleasant waste of time. I for one have better things to do.

Unsubscribing,
Peter De Smidt

Too bad, Peter. The Zonazis are taking their toll. Don't give in to them.

Old October 21st 04, 01:10 AM
Tom Phillips

Gregory W Blank wrote:

In article ,
[...]

Peter I agree, but just leaving gives in to them, and is exactly is what
these people want, If you don't ignore them they will always win.

Well, Peter's first response to one of my posts (not even a
directed to him) was "What a useless discussion..." Well!
I certainly didn't think my opinion was "useless." If that's
all he has to say to start off a discussion...

His tone and attitude seemed unfriendly to me, his mind
being made up. Of course he then accuses others of being
"unfriendly." I guess it's subjective as to who is friendly
or not. If you want friendly replies, better start out that
way. If trolls bother one, killfiles work wonders.

Though most of us think there's little call for profanity
and trolling, this is also USENET and there is this little
thing called freedom of expression, trolls and all. So,
if you can't deal with blunt opinion and critical discussion,
which like it or not is the norm on USENET, better restirct
yourself to only those who agree with you. There's
a reason when you go to moderated lists there's about
as much participation as there are martians on Mars.

I prefer knowledgable topics on photography, and I always
make a point to answer questions I can answer. But I also
like a good discussion now and then and, guess what, they
sometimes get bluntly heated and opinionated.

Over time I've had serious disagreements with many here. But
over time also still respect them as persons and remain on
friendly terms. Taking thing too personally (even from
trolls) is silly since no one disagrees on _everything_.

Frankly, this nsg is rather tame compared to others and
the flow of knowledge, though sometimes diluted by the
arguments and trolling, is still worthwhile.

You guys should visit rec.running :-)

Old October 21st 04, 01:41 AM
Robert Vervoordt

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:10:44 -0600, Tom Phillips
wrote:

Gregory W Blank wrote:

In article ,
[...]

Nah, misc.writing.screenplays. There's a guy there who flooded and
crossposted so egregiously that the regulars went so far as to discuss
a moderated group and bringing legal actions on him. He reformed a
bit but kept on. Unfortunately he gets responses and some are worse
than the nameless one, here.

Pete's having a bad time of it, because he is caring too much. He was
right to say to ignor the nameless one's postings, and warn newbies,
too. Too bad he's let the creep get him down.

I think there;s a lot to be said for changing one's mind in such a
situation.

Robert Vervoordt, MFA

Old October 21st 04, 01:35 PM
John

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:45:04 -0500, Peter De Smidt
[...]

Ciao dude ! It was good reading you !

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.puresilver.org
Vote "No! for the status quo. Vote 3rd party !!

Old October 21st 04, 01:36 PM
John

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:40:15 GMT, Gregory W Blank
wrote:

Peter I agree, but just leaving gives in to them, and is exactly is what
these people want, If you don't ignore them they will always win.

Unfortunately they seem to be determined to have the longest
****ing contest in the history of the USENET.