"Use your viewfinder to avoid annoying those in the audience"

Old March 15th 11, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

Default "Use your viewfinder to avoid annoying those in the audience"

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:00:24 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

On 3/15/11 12:36 PM, in article ,
"tony cooper" wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:09:49 -0700 (PDT), Rich
wrote:

On Mar 15, 9:52*am, "Mr. Strat" wrote:
In article , SMS

wrote:
Was at a concert last week at my kid's high school, and before it
started there were the usual requests to a) turn off your cell phones,
b) no flash photography, c) don't use LCDs on camcorders or cameras, use
the viewfinder.

As usual there were the annoying people in the audience recording the
entire performance with the LCD illuminated the whole time. I wonder if
the concertmaster even realized how few new P&S cameras and camcorders
even have a viewfinder any more.

I just shake my head when I see people using the LCD instead of the
viewfinder especially with DSLRs that have a live feed.

LCD's are only good for lining up difficult shots where the camera
can't be placed at the eye.

I dunno about that. There are many people who take better photographs
using "Live View" because they see the screen as the photograph. These
are people like my wife who don't take many photographs and aren't
really comfortable with a camera. If she uses my camera - which does
not have Live View - she cuts off heads and feet. She does well with
her P&S, though.

I think her problem with my camera is that she keeps both eyes open
and sees the scene with the eye not at the camera and thinks she's
getting it all.

Has she determined her dominant eye?

Whichever one she focusses on me when she says "Don't leave your
clothes on the floor".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 16th 11, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

wrote:
[...]

Where's that old target shooter's "dominant eye" rule when you need
it?

What husband wants his wife developing a shooter's eye?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 16th 11, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Superzooms
Still Win wrote:

Isn't it fun to have only imaginary cameras in your pointy little trolls'
pretend-photographers heads? The only trouble with that, is you don't
realize that very popular REAL cameras have already supplanted all your
psychotic problems for over a decade now. That's why those cameras designs
are such huge sellers.

Damn! How did I create all those images through the years...the
weddings...the seniors...the families...the pictorials...without a
little TV in the viewfinder and a big, heavy mirror slapping around?
Old March 16th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 3/15/11 5:50 PM, in article ,
"tony cooper" wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:00:24 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

On 3/15/11 12:36 PM, in article
,

wrote:
[...]

G!

You do know how to do that, do you not?

The thumb at full elbow extension and focusing on a distant object and all?

Old March 16th 11, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:31:47 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

On 3/15/11 5:50 PM, in article ,
"tony cooper" wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:00:24 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

On 3/15/11 12:36 PM, in article
,

wrote:
[...]

Actually, I do. I used to skeet shoot. I'm left-handed and naturally
put the shotgun butt in my left shoulder. I couldn't hit squat. When
I found I am right-eye-dominant, I moved the butt to my right shoulder
and became fairly good.

I was surprised to find I wasn't good at skeet at first because I was
very good with an M-1 in the Army. However, I was forced to shoot
from the right shoulder there because one never argues with the range
sergeant. The M-1s were the old bolt action type when I was in, and -
being left handed - I'd reach my left hand across to throw the bolt.
As long as Sarge didn't see me do that, I was OK. He would look down
the line, though, and see if I had the rifle in my left shoulder.
I didn't know anything about eye dominance then.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 16th 11, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Actually she has one already.
A great many target shooters (& combat shooters) will train to shoot
with both eyes open. Some will shoot with the weak eye covered with an
occluded lens on shooting glasses. There are also shooting glasses with
a single lens so that with both eyes open only the front sight of the
firearm is in focus.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Jaggi-1466.jpg
Others have trained to suppress the weak eye image.

Savageduck

Old March 16th 11, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-03-15 18:49:55 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:31:47 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

On 3/15/11 5:50 PM, in article ,
"tony cooper" wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:00:24 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

On 3/15/11 12:36 PM, in article
,

wrote:
[...]

Bolt action M-1! I think not.
If you were using a bolt action rifle in the US Military it would have
been a '03 Springfield.
Given your probable time of service you should have been using an M-1
Garand, or an M-14.
The M-1 Garand is a semi-auto gas operated rifle with an eight shot
clip which ejects the clip with the eighth shot.
There is also the M-1 carbine, which is also a semi-automatic (some had
selective fire full auto ability)
....and certainly the bolt on these rifles was on the right.

Savageduck

Old March 16th 11, 02:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Superzooms Still Win[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 18:04:15 -0700, "Mr. Strat"
wrote:

In article , Superzooms
Still Win wrote:

Isn't it fun to have only imaginary cameras in your pointy little trolls'
pretend-photographers heads? The only trouble with that, is you don't
realize that very popular REAL cameras have already supplanted all your
psychotic problems for over a decade now. That's why those cameras designs
are such huge sellers.

Damn! How did I create all those images through the years...the
weddings...the seniors...the families...the pictorials...without a
little TV in the viewfinder and a big, heavy mirror slapping around?

TLR held at waist-level or adding an additional 2 lb. pentaprism for
eye-level views, or Rangefinder, or you're a court-reporter sketch-artist?
Perhaps it was all done with a Brownie Box camera.

Though you could claim using mirror lock-up at all times on a DSLR, thereby
making your OVF useless and phase-focusing useless. This would not,
however, dampen those highly annoying focal-plane shutter sounds.

Wait, I got it. You used one of these with a DSLR, adding an additional
$1000 to the cost of your gear and 3lbs to support with your arms and/or
shoulder-strap at all times: http://www.soundblimp.com/Default.htm Not to
mention having limited lens changing ability and limited use of
focal-lengths allowed.

While also looking like a fool idiot.

Old March 16th 11, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-03-15 18:31:47 -0700, George Kerby said:

On 3/15/11 5:50 PM, in article ,
"tony cooper" wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:00:24 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

On 3/15/11 12:36 PM, in article
,

wrote:
[...]

There is a much easier and surer way to do that.

Find a tube, the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels will do.
Hold that out at arms length and with both eyes open, find a target,
seen through the tube, to focus on.
Slowly bring the tube towards your face. It will gravitate toward your
master eye, as your weak eye will suppress.

An optometrist will get the same information when they have you
maintain focus on a pencil tip, moving it from side to side, up and
down, then moving it toward your face. your weak eye will suppress at
the near point you can no longer focus on the point.

Savageduck