The stunning aerial photos taken with just a camera and a kite - by the inventor of 'kite-ography'

Old August 19th 10, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joel Connor

Default The stunning aerial photos taken with just a camera and a kite - by the inventor of 'kite-ography'

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:06:16 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mera-kite.html

Let's see....

I flew a Brownie Box camera on a string of 4 box-kites 47 years ago. Using
a string dipped in potassium-nitrate to make it into a slow-burning fuse.
It would eventually, many minutes later, burn the string that was
stretching the rubber-band attached to the shutter release. You timed the
delay by the length of the string-fuse.

He's 47 now, he got his first camera when he was 12. That's 35 years ago.
Yet he invented aerial kite photography. The only reason I did it was
because so many had done it before me with much more elaborate equipment.
Fancy "Cody Box-Kites" being the preferred lifting device for kite aerial
photographers. I was an extremely precocious child. I wanted to see if I
could do it even more inexpensively using whatever I had at hand. The paper
box-kites, 4 of them for enough lift for that heavy Brownie-cam, cost me a
whopping $3.00 at the time. That put a hefty dent in my piggy-bank. I would
have made the kites, but I was too anxious. 4 of them would have taken a
long time. The cotton string and rubber-band from a junk-drawer, the
potassium-nitrate from my home-brew chemistry kit. Back then you could buy
just about any chemical you wanted from the local drug-store. Oh, I forgot
to mention. I also added a wind-vane made of a discarded aluminum pie-pan
to the back of the camera. So I could point the camera in whatever
direction to the wind that I wanted.

Yeah, sure, he was "the inventor of 'kite-ography'.

Google for KAP (kite aerial photography) if you want to get a history
lesson of cameras being flown on kites.

I bet Al Gore is this guy's brother. You know Al? The chap that invented
the internet.

The pomposity of these foolish brits never ceases to amaze.

Old August 19th 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joel Connor

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:41:02 -0700 (PDT), DanP
wrote:

On Aug 19, 9:08*pm, Joel Connor wrote:

I bet Al Gore is this guy's brother. You know Al? The chap that invented
the internet.

The pomposity of these foolish brits never ceases to amaze.

The guy is French. And Al Gore is American.

DanP

The report is coming from british sources, you fool troll. And I guess it
is far beyond your comprehension of how someone who was born in France
can't be a sibling of someone born in America.

Can this DanP troll get any more stupid?

Old August 20th 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joel Connor

wrote:

On Aug 19, 9:08*pm, Joel Connor wrote:

I bet Al Gore is this guy's brother. You know Al? The chap that invented
the internet.

The pomposity of these foolish brits never ceases to amaze.

The guy is French. And Al Gore is American.

DanP

The report is coming from british sources, you fool troll. And I guess it
is far beyond your comprehension of how someone who was born in France
can't be a sibling of someone born in America.

Can this DanP troll get any more stupid?

The guy's name is Nicolas Chorier. You either have not read the
article or you believe it could be a British name.

With Al Gore you had shot yourself in the foot.

DanP

Your own words shoot yourself in the foot. Country of origin has nothing to
do with citizenship.

Now, have you ever done any KAP? Or are you just here to troll for
attention on totally unrelated topics?

No wait, don't bother to answer that. Going by 100% of your history, it
will be clear that you're going to make something up with zero proof, just
like you always do for more attention for yourself while residing in your
mommy's basement.

Bye bye troll.

Old August 20th 10, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 20/08/2010 12:38, Val Hallah wrote:

wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-The-stunning...

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dacre

I do not defend Daily Mail and Paul Dacre. The mistake of calling a
French man the inventor of KAP is not British pomposity.
It would had been if they mentioned the first photographer to do it,
Douglas Archibald.
And mentioning American pomposity (Al Gore) destroys the whole point.

DanP

reomposity....it seems he has a strong US influence....;-)

I don’t see how anybody can go to America, work there for six years
and not be enthralled by the energy of the free market. America taught
me the power of the free market, as opposed to the State, to improve
the lives of the vast majority of ordinary people.

Including all those ruined by subprime loans...
--
Bertrand
Old August 20th 10, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

wrote:

[...]

Oh, please don't assume the Daily Mail is representative of Britain.

No more than Fox news represents the USA.

What's quite interesting (assuming the text above was copied from the site)
is that the story text is now substantially different, and
doesn't carry the phrase "he invented aerial kite photography".

And yet there's no mention of an edit ;-)

BugBear
Old August 21st 10, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Ofnuts" wrote in message
On 20/08/2010 12:38, Val Hallah wrote:

I don’t see how anybody can go to America, work there for six years
and not be enthralled by the energy of the free market. America taught
me the power of the free market, as opposed to the State, to improve
the lives of the vast majority of ordinary people.

Including all those ruined by subprime loans...

There is a difference between free market energy and greed. A very fine
line, but it is there

--
Peter

Old August 21st 10, 11:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 21/08/2010 04:01, Peter wrote:
"Ofnuts" wrote in message
On 20/08/2010 12:38, Val Hallah wrote:

I don’t see how anybody can go to America, work there for six years
and not be enthralled by the energy of the free market. America taught
me the power of the free market, as opposed to the State, to improve
the lives of the vast majority of ordinary people.

Including all those ruined by subprime loans...

There is a difference between free market energy and greed. A very fine
line, but it is there

.... and crossed everyday.
--
Bertrand
Old August 21st 10, 01:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Ofnuts" wrote in message
On 20/08/2010 12:38, Val Hallah wrote:

I don’t see how anybody can go to America, work there for six years
and not be enthralled by the energy of the free market. America taught
me the power of the free market, as opposed to the State, to improve
the lives of the vast majority of ordinary people.

Including all those ruined by subprime loans...

There is a difference between free market energy and greed. A very fine
line, but it is there

... and crossed everyday.

Banks, ATMs and convenience stores, etc... are also robbed everyday.
Should we eliminate them?

--
Peter

Old August 21st 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 21/08/2010 14:21, Peter wrote:

There is a difference between free market energy and greed. A very fine
line, but it is there

... and crossed everyday.

Banks, ATMs and convenience stores, etc... are also robbed everyday.
Should we eliminate them?

I wasn't talking abojut robbery. But since you address the subjet:
when the poor use violence to rob the rich, it's illegal, when the rich
use small print to rob the poor, it's legal.

--
Bertrand
Old August 21st 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Ofnuts" wrote in message
On 21/08/2010 14:21, Peter wrote:

There is a difference between free market energy and greed. A very fine
line, but it is there

... and crossed everyday.

Banks, ATMs and convenience stores, etc... are also robbed everyday.
Should we eliminate them?

I wasn't talking abojut robbery. But since you address the subjet:
when the poor use violence to rob the rich, it's illegal, when the rich
use small print to rob the poor, it's legal.

Small print illegal.
If a poor person buys a house he cannot afford, whose fault is that.
If you bought a camera you could not afford and you could not buy food for
your family, would that be the fault of the camera salesman? - The credit
card company -- your bank because you withdrew your money to buy the camera?
For what reason would it not be the fault of the purchaser of the home. The
concept is accepting responsibility for one's own acts.

What may be illegal was packaging these high risk mortgages and selling them
as mortgage backed securities, without adequate disclosure. Some of those
derivatives were so complex that it's almost impossible to decipher what
exactly they are.
What also may be illegal, civilly wrong, was selling derivatives while
taking a short position without disclosing the seller had more to gain if
the derivative went bad, while making a healthy profit on the sale.

--
Peter