The stunning aerial photos taken with just a camera and a kite - by the inventor of 'kite-ography'

Old August 19th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default The stunning aerial photos taken with just a camera and a kite - by the inventor of 'kite-ography'

On 2010-08-19 11:06:16 -0700, Val Hallah said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mera-kite.html

So,

what's new?
http://activetectonics.asu.edu/kites/06eq.html
http://thurly.net/wpd

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ruin_edit2.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/2fmoee

Savageduck

Old August 20th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per Savageduck:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ruin_edit2.jpg

Google Chrome opens that photo very nicely: click on any area
and it zooms to that area. Click again and it un-zooms to the
original view.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 20th 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-19 16:41:40 -0700, Nervous Nick said:

On Aug 19, 6:28*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Savageduck:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Francisco_in_r...

Google Chrome opens that photo very nicely: *click on any area
and it zooms to that area. * Click again and it un-zooms to the
original view.
--
PeteCresswell

That is an awesome photo. FF deals with it just fine. I assume it
was taken shortly after the 1906 earthquake.

Yup.
That shot was not exactly a kite shot. That was from an "airship" The
shots from the other link were made by flying a camera from a kite.
http://activetectonics.asu.edu/kites/06eq.html

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ruin_edit2.jpg

I was just making the point that kite, or balloon aerial photography is
not new, and sometimes those glass plates could produce some amazing
resolution.

Savageduck

Old August 20th 10, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

On 2010-08-19 11:06:16 -0700, Val Hallah said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mera-kite.html

So,

what's new?
http://activetectonics.asu.edu/kites/06eq.html
http://thurly.net/wpd

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ruin_edit2.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/2fmoee

To add more fuel to the fire--back in the 1930s Univex (of Univex
Mercury single-fame-35mm fame or infamy) made a very cheap Bakelite
camera that was extremely small (smaller than most people's hands) which
used tiny rolls of film made by Univex, naturally, and perhaps labeled
Size #0. Some magazine, most likely Popular Mechanics, published a
little article in 1938 or 1939 showing pictures taken from a kite with
one of these things. Needless to say, the pictures were horrible. It was
activated by some sort of timer, perhaps the kind used on
gasoline-powered free-flight model airplane engines of the time.
Horrible pictures, but a triumph for cheap. Disclaimer: I was 10 years
old in 1939 so my memory of some of the details is sketchy, but I stand
by two statements: It was one of the junk Univex jobs, and the pictures
were horrible. Incidentally, PopMech in the 30s and on through WWII
published a very large number of DIY articles showing how to build
enlargers, tripods, film processing equipment, lighting equipment, etc.
They also reprinted many of these articles in separate books. I finally
gave up and passed my collection on to my son, who considers them to be
interesting historic documents rather than things he could make. Now
ends your trivial history lesson for the day.
Allen
Old August 24th 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-23 15:12:47 -0700, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Savageduck
saying something like:

the
shots from the other link were made by flying a camera from a kite.
http://activetectonics.asu.edu/kites/06eq.html

That's exactly how various navies used to lift a man to observe enemy
shipping. The manlifter kites were pretty well developed at the start of
the 20th C.

The photographer, George Lawrence was quite the 19th/20th Century
innovator in many fields.
http://robroy.dyndns.info/lawrence/
http://dig.lib.niu.edu/ISHS/ishs-200...2summer130.pdf

Savageduck

Old August 24th 10, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-24 00:08:46 -0700, otter said:

On Aug 23, 5:12*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember

http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...in/photostream
/

(Not a great picture, but it is Barstow.)

Barstow, not the rectum of the World, more like the colostomy bag of
the World. It must be the over abundance of the dreaded Toyota Prii (
is that the plural?) in that parking lot, that has effected your
judgement regarding image selection.

Where is a great red shark when you need one?

Savageduck

Old August 24th 10, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

otter wrote:
On Aug 23, 5:12 pm, Grimly
drugs began to take hold. I remember

http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...n/photostream/

(Not a great picture, but it is Barstow.)

:-)

Not even Barstow but same deal:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...etail/?page=12
Old August 26th 10, 04:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_5_]

On 2010-08-19 11:06:16 -0700, Val Hallah said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mera-kite.html

So,

what's new?
http://activetectonics.asu.edu/kites/06eq.html
http://thurly.net/wpd

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ruin_edit2.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/2fmoee

Savageduck

What a remarkable shot! Thanks for linking to it, I'm saving a copy.

I presume "captive airship" means tethered balloon.

Old August 26th 10, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-19 11:06:16 -0700, Val Hallah said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mera-kite.html

So,

what's

new?
http://activetectonics.asu.edu/kites/06eq.html
http://thurly.net/wpd

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ruin_edit2.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/2fmoee

Savageduck

What a remarkable shot! Thanks for linking to it, I'm saving a copy.

I presume "captive airship" means tethered balloon.

In George Lawrence's case it means a massive kite system.

Old August 26th 10, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Neil Harrington" wrote in message

I presume "captive airship" means tethered balloon.

It means an airship hijacked Somali pirates.

--
Peter