Gainer's Phenidone/Borax/VitC Formula

Old August 25th 04, 06:46 PM
Suibu Liu

Default Gainer's Phenidone/Borax/VitC Formula

Hi,
I have mixed my developer based on Gainer's formula found at:
http://www.digistar.com/rollei/2002-11/0407.html

I developed my first TMX 135 at 20C for 7 minutes, the negatives came
out excellent. Many thanks to Pat Gainer and Gene Johnson for the
formula.

I have one question now. How many rolls of 135/120 can this 1000ml
working solution develop? I know it is a one shot developer and I am
going to use it as one shot.

However, my tank requires 600ml of developer for 120 and 375ml for
135. So it is kind of waste if I use 600ml of developer for one roll
of 120 compare to one roll of 135. I am thinking to roll two rolls of
120 back-to-back and I can still use 600ml of developer, Or can I use
it 1:1?

Before switching to Gainer's formula, I used XTOL. For XTOL, there is
a minimum "100ml stock solution for one roll 135/120, or one 8x10
sheet" rule. Is there a similar rule for this formula?

Thanks a lot!

Suibu
Old August 26th 04, 01:02 AM
Nicholas T.

Suibu Liu wrote:
[...]

From my experience with that developer you will be fine with 2x120s in
600mls of water. Some time ago I used to develop in Rodinal and
developed 6 x 120 films in a 1.2 ltr tank. I did have to alter the
development a little (no more than a minute from memory) but I think
that was more to do with the baffling effect several rolls of film has
with the agitation of the film than the ability of the developer to
develop film.
What I'm trying to say is that you will be fine within reason. From
memory, that alkaline (borax alone) is not very concentrated and you
_might_ find more consistent results with with several films in a tank
and a Borax/Carbonate alkaline component--but that's a guess.

Old August 26th 04, 05:30 AM
PATRICK GAINER

Suibu Liu wrote:

[...]

You should have no trouble with 2 rolls in 600 ml. I do one 35 mm 36 exp.
in 250 ml. The area is roughly the same as a 120 roll.

Borax is a good buffer which tends to minimize changes in pH. The amount
of ascorbic acid used per roll is very small. The products of reaction
are acidic, but not very.