The Feds Can Now (Probably) Unlock Every iPhone Model In Existence

Old March 2nd 18, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

Default The Feds Can Now (Probably) Unlock Every iPhone Model In Existence

nospam wrote:

changing IMEI
numbers,

that's illegal.

Nospam's utter lack of credibility is astounding.

What you seem to forget so easily is that we've had this discussion in
spades in the past, where, on Android at least, it's trivial to
automatically change your reported IMEI number on the fly, and where it's
/not/ illegal in most of the world, and, even where it is illegal (e.g., in
the UK), something like 3 people have been convicted in something like a
dozen years, where even the authors of the bill (whatever they call a law
in Parliment) said very clearly it was simply a /symbolic/ political
gesture (aka, a cheap political trick).

Snippet:
Mr. Denham, Hansard, Mobile Telephones (Re-programming) Bill [Lords],
House of Commons Debate, 22 July 2002 vol 389 cc706-28, column 711
(
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/c...020722_HOC_226
):
Old March 2nd 18, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article , ultred
ragnusen wrote:

changing IMEI
numbers,

that's illegal.

Nospam's utter lack of credibility is astounding.

What you seem to forget so easily is that we've had this discussion in
spades in the past, where, on Android at least, it's trivial to
automatically change your reported IMEI number on the fly,

trivial or not (and it's not), it's still illegal. it's fraud. end of
story.

your attempts to rationalize illegal activities is noted.
Old March 2nd 18, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

nospam wrote:

trivial or not (and it's not), it's still illegal. it's fraud. end of
story.

Again, your credibility is worthless to you.

In addition, your memory is about as good as Bill Clintons, as we've many
times discussed the elements (often 5) of fraud (depending on the type of
law involved), /all/ of which must be present, in order for an act to be
fraud.

Anyone here with real-world experience changing your IMEI on Android?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp...M/9XQhY2WRAgAJ

Simply changing your IMEI isn't fraud in /any/ country in the world, and
even where the act of changing an IMEI is considered fraud, it's just a
cheap political trick which we have proven in the past even the originators
of the law openly admit that all they wanted to do was 'send a message' but
where, as I recall, essentially zero /successful/ prosecutions resulted in
a dozen years in force.

your attempts to rationalize illegal activities is noted.

Your credibility is worthless to you, as your statement that it's illegal
is patently false in almost the entire world, and even where it is illegal,
the law was never intended to be anything but a symbolic gesture ...

Worse, you have absolutely no idea what constitutes fraud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud
http://www.houston-opinions.com/law-fraud.html
https://quizlet.com/19041431/5-eleme...d-flash-cards/
https://www.reference.com/government...1758ac1eb7d339
etc.

All of which have the same essential elements, depending on the type of law
involved and the jurisdiction, and where changing the IMEI is /never/ going
to be fraud any more than changing your underwear constitutes rape.
Old March 2nd 18, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

ultred ragnusen wrote:

Simply changing your IMEI isn't fraud in /any/ country in the world, and
even where the act of changing an IMEI is considered fraud, it's just a
cheap political trick which we have proven in the past even the originators
of the law openly admit that all they wanted to do was 'send a message' but
where, as I recall, essentially zero /successful/ prosecutions resulted in
a dozen years in force.

Correction due to haste in responding ...

http://www.houston-opinions.com/law-fraud.html

Change: even where the act of changing an IMEI is considered fraud
To: even where the act of changing an IMEI is considered illegal
Old March 2nd 18, 04:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 18:02:39 -0800, ultred ragnusen
wrote:

Davoud wrote:

This conversation entirely misses the point. As I have pointed out, the
"threat" does not come from the US government, which is utterly
uninterested in what you do on-line.

You bring up a valid point, which is that the US Government is probably one
of the minor threats we US citizens face - but it's one whom we /pay/
hard-earned dollars to /protect/ us, where they take the easy way out by
surveiling us instead.

Amazon, Facebook, Google, and myriad other commercial enterprises, on
the other hand, are very much interested in what you are doing on-line
and they have the means of tracking you.

True that.

Again, the weak link in /all/ consumer mobile devices is the same in this
case in that Amazon isn't ever going to go frontal with a brute-force
attack on nospam's vaunted encryption algorithm, which forms the imaginary
basis of his entire belief system.

Got a medical condition and
using the Internet to learn more about it? Noted. Interested in buying
a car? Noted. Traveling? Location and dates noted.* In fact, anything
and everything that could conceivably enable a commercial enterprise
make a few pennies from your personal information is noted.

True dat.

Everything is tied together by the commercial aggregators, such that the
metadata /is/ the data, where, again, I simply posit that, despite the
brand X marketing mantra that nospam loves to spew, /all/ consumer-grade
mobile devices suffer from the same set of weak links.

You keep saying that but I'm not sure that you are entirely correct.
All of Qualcomm's more advanced processors make use of embedded
hardware to protect against side channel and other attacks. I believe
Apple may employ their own hardware for similar protection. Qualcom
are still selling their lower grade processors so it is inevitable
that there are many devices out there which are relatively
unprotected.

But it's not on a list under your name that someone prints out and has
fun reading; printer paper is not sold in 1000km rolls. The data is in
a virtually instantaneous computer-to-computer transaction in which an
intermediary enables targeted ads on your Internet-connected devices.

True that.

And, worse, the data is /stored/ somewhere, where it makes a juicy cache
for someone /else/ to steal.

As I recall, even your debug logs to Microsoft were being intercepted and
stored, and sifted through for data such as your Ethernet MAC address (I'd
have to look that one up).

Hence, I posit, the weak link in /all/ consumer-grade computing devices is
the same, despite brand X's admittedly obvious attempt to make it's loyal
but extremely gullible customers believe that a frontal brute-force attack
is the main danger.

A few days ago I googled air fares to London. Within *seconds* web pages
that I visited were peppered with ads for airlines, rental cars, and
hotels.

True that. The solution is difficult but it's like the solution to the most
common cause of brake judder - which isn't to change the hardware or
software, but to change your browsing habits (e.g., VPN, proxy, nyms,
headers, etc.).

*Travel: if you have an E-ZPass or equivalent the issuer knows every
time you go through a toll booth. For that matter, authorities know
when you go through a toll booth even if you choose to use a slow lane;
your license plate is read by a camera.

Yup. I once got a ticket for being in a lane on i580 near Livermore that I
didn't even know was a toll lane, as the highway must be 8 lanes wide on
each side at that point, so I was just cruising along with no traffic
visible in the photo at a non-commute time.

The ticket was based merely off my license plate since there's no way I'd
ever have those electronic payment systems in my vehicle. (I wonder, if you
have one, can you easily turn it off? Or do you have to Faraday it?)

How it is that the paranoids ignore commercial trackers and worry about
a disinterested government, I do not know. But then, I'm not paranoid.

I'm not sure whom you're speaking about, but I agree with all your
sentiments, where you have to remember almost all the responses from me
were regarding nospam's marketing-inspired allegation that Brand X phones
are safer simply because of the expense of the frontal attack, which would
only realistically be done by a gobment organization.

Outside of nospam's obvious blind allegiance to Brand X marketing mantra,
you'll see me exhibit the same sentiment you do, which is that the threat
is from a wealth of well-funded sources, such that no phone line is any
safer than any other.

All you can do to combat this threat is constant "privacy hygiene", such as
changing IP addresses, changing nyms and email addresses, changing IMEI
numbers, changing locations, providing false data, changing your
vernacular, etc.

Privacy is expensive.

Eric Stevens
Old March 2nd 18, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 17:18:42 -0500, JF Mezei

On 2018-03-01 10:47, Davoud wrote:

That isn't true. It may be the case that technically secure
communications devices are unavailable to the public. But I repeat that
the security of your mobile phone is assured by the fact that no one is
listening to you.

There is a big difference between intercepting communications to/from
your phone and hacking the phone to access your data or send your phone
usage "live" to NSA&friends.

NSA has widespread data collections that do collect anyone's
communications, they just can't "target" a USA citizen (aka: do a search
through the trove of data for a US citizens comms without FISA).

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_surveillance

to target your calls to grandma. It's ludicrous to think that they are
monitoring you.

This isn't a case of the government monitoring ME. It is a case of them
collecting my communications in bulk, and when doing searches for
something unreleated, my stuff might come up.

If I make a joke about centrifuges in my basement to make a nuclear
device, and this is collected, then someone doing a search for
terrorists in USA planning to detonate nuke would pull up my joke. It is
then up to an analyst to determine this is of no value and dismiss it.

Eric Stevens
Old March 2nd 18, 05:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Davoud

Davoud:
*Travel: if you have an E-ZPass or equivalent the issuer knows every
time you go through a toll booth. For that matter, authorities know
when you go through a toll booth even if you choose to use a slow lane;
your license plate is read by a camera.

ultred ragnusen:
The ticket was based merely off my license plate since there's no way I'd
ever have those electronic payment systems in my vehicle. (I wonder, if you
have one, can you easily turn it off? Or do you have to Faraday it?)

If you're not a paranoid conspiracy theorist you don't do anything with
it; you just use it to make travel more convenient.

All you can do to combat this threat is constant "privacy hygiene", such as
changing IP addresses, changing nyms and email addresses, changing IMEI
numbers, changing locations, providing false data, changing your
vernacular, etc.

If you're not a paranoid conspiracy theorist you don't do any of that.
It wouldn't hide you from a determined surveillant, anyway.

I have a lot of friends and acquaintances around the world. It might
amuse you to know that I try to make myself easy to find on the
Internet. That's why this post, for example, carries my true name with
my valid email address.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old March 2nd 18, 06:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Davoud

JF Mezei:
This isn't a case of the government monitoring ME. It is a case of them
collecting my communications in bulk, and when doing searches for
something unreleated, my stuff might come up.

If I make a joke about centrifuges in my basement to make a nuclear
device, and this is collected, then someone doing a search for
terrorists in USA planning to detonate nuke would pull up my joke. It is
then up to an analyst to determine this is of no value and dismiss it.

This thread is utterly ludicrous. Of all those who have participated,
only one--me--has 32 years in the business and knows how SIGINT
targeting, collection, and analysis really work. Everyone else--that's
everyone--is either guessing or repeating what they want to believe
from others who also know *nothing* *whatsoever* about the subject. But
the reality would make for a very boring thread. "Nothing to report."

Old March 2nd 18, 10:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 00:01:50 -0500, Davoud wrote:

JF Mezei:
This isn't a case of the government monitoring ME. It is a case of them
collecting my communications in bulk, and when doing searches for
something unreleated, my stuff might come up.

If I make a joke about centrifuges in my basement to make a nuclear
device, and this is collected, then someone doing a search for
terrorists in USA planning to detonate nuke would pull up my joke. It is
then up to an analyst to determine this is of no value and dismiss it.

This thread is utterly ludicrous. Of all those who have participated,
only one--me--has 32 years in the business and knows how SIGINT
targeting, collection, and analysis really work. Everyone else--that's
everyone--is either guessing or repeating what they want to believe
from others who also know *nothing* *whatsoever* about the subject. But
the reality would make for a very boring thread. "Nothing to report."

I don't claim to be knowledgable but I have read enough to not be
totally ignorant. Too many peple think that they are secure as long as
they use what they regard as an impregnable code. They don't seem to
realise that there is a great deal that can be learned from simple
traffic analysis. (Traffic analysis? What's that?).

Eric Stevens
Old March 2nd 18, 11:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
David_B

On 02/03/2018 04:41, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
[...]

I've thoroughly enjoyed exploring your web site. Your photographic skill
is truly amazing, especially now that I'm using my new 27 inch iMac with
Retina 5K display

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dei

--
David B.