300m Fujinon-C vs. 300mm Fujinon-A?

Old May 5th 04, 12:48 AM
Stephan Goldstein

Default 300m Fujinon-C vs. 300mm Fujinon-A?

300mm f/8.5 Fujinon-C
Copal 1
Multicoated
Still in production
Gigantic image circle
Insignificantly faster

300mm f/9 Fujinon-A
Copal 1
Multicoated (sometimes)
Made from unobtanium, production long discontinued
Even-more-gigantic image circle
Insignificantly slower

For formats up to 8x10, is this a decision made purely on price and
availability, or is there some important difference between these two
fine pieces of glass?

Inquiring minds and all that.

TIA

Steve
Old May 6th 04, 05:40 PM
Ted Harris

I use the 300 mm A multicoated and like all A users find it to be one of my
favorite lenses with superb resolution and contrast. I have never used the 300
C so can't make a comparative comment. There are significant design
differences in the two lenses though. The C being designed for optimal use at
longer ranges than the A (although the A performs flawlessly at infinity).
that said you will get much better performance from the A at distances
approaching 1:1. Next the A is a true Apochromat and the C is not. Most
importantly you will pay a lot more for an A used than you will for a C new.
You can buy a new C for 675-700 and you will pay more than that for a pristine
300 A. Having said all that I would not part with my 300 A and am always
looking for the longer ones .. the 360 - 600 and 1200.

Ted
Ted Harris
Resource Strategy
Henniker, New Hampshire