D70 Book (CD) Review

Old March 1st 05, 05:00 AM
Sheldon

Default D70 Book (CD) Review

I just purchased Thom Hogan's "Complete Guide to the Nikon D70. I haven't
finished it yet (over 500 pages in pdf format), but it's well written and
explains the ins and outs of the D70 far better than the manual that comes
with the camera.

I"m not associated with Hogan or his operation, but just thought if you were
thinking about really learning more about your D70 this book (CD) might just
be the ticket. I was going to get that popular D70 book in print, but when
I checked the Amazon.com reviews, a lot of people thought this was much
better so I went for it, and I think it's worth it. www.bythom.com

Also comes with some "curves" and a few other goodies.

Sheldon

Old March 1st 05, 01:59 PM
Brett Wheeler

I was going to get that popular D70 book in print, but when
I checked the Amazon.com reviews, a lot of people thought this was much
better

What book did you avoid?

I picked up Magic Lantern Guides - Nikon D70 by Simon Stafford last
weekend. It was packaged in shrinkwrap at the store so I was hesitant
but the description on the back cover made it sound like there would
be a lot of practical advise to go along with the operation of the
camera. Turns out it's little more than the Nikon manual rewritten in
the author's own words. There are hints dispersed throughout the book
but the only person I would recommend it to is someone who is new both
to the D70 and to photography. There's very little here for the
advanced amatuer.
Old March 1st 05, 02:19 PM
Brett Wheeler

PS... Please be sure to provide us with a more thorough review of
this book after you've had a chance to read through it a bit more...
Old March 1st 05, 10:02 PM
Don F

"Brett Wheeler" wrote in message
PS... Please be sure to provide us with a more thorough review of
this book after you've had a chance to read through it a bit more...

------------
Thom Hogan's "Complete Guide to the Nikon D70" comes highly recommended
(and a "must have") in every reference to it that I have read. Do a Google
search and you will agree.
I would have preferred a paper version of the book, even at higher price.
A copyright release is provided which allows any commercial copier to print
a paper version as an option.
Regards,
Don F

Old March 1st 05, 10:26 PM
Sheldon

"Brett Wheeler" wrote in message
news
I was going to get that popular D70 book in print, but when
I checked the Amazon.com reviews, a lot of people thought this was much
better

What book did you avoid?

I picked up Magic Lantern Guides - Nikon D70 by Simon Stafford last
weekend. It was packaged in shrinkwrap at the store so I was hesitant
but the description on the back cover made it sound like there would
be a lot of practical advise to go along with the operation of the
camera. Turns out it's little more than the Nikon manual rewritten in
the author's own words. There are hints dispersed throughout the book
but the only person I would recommend it to is someone who is new both
to the D70 and to photography. There's very little here for the
advanced amatuer.

This is what I've read about most D70 books out there. They don't offer
much more than what the manual offers, and what they do offer above that is
very basic. This book (CD) assumes you know something about photography,
actually a lot about photography, and need to know how your knowledge
applies to digital photography by way of the D70, and pretty much all the
software you would use to "develop" an image.

Old March 2nd 05, 12:53 AM
Nick Beard

I printed out the entire Hogan book on my Colour laser in A5 booklet form,
Then cut the A4 pages in half (A5) Hole punched them and they filled 2 A5
Snowpake ring binders. Easy to read at bedtime!!!!!zzzzzz!!!!!zzzzzzz

Old March 2nd 05, 05:54 AM
Sheldon

"Brett Wheeler" wrote in message
PS... Please be sure to provide us with a more thorough review of
this book after you've had a chance to read through it a bit more...

I finally finished the book, and found it to be the perfect compliment to
the manual. He takes every function and control and explains them in great
depth, with his own recommendations as to how to setup the D70 -- and why.

He also get heavily into the "workflow" and uses examples of both Nikon View
and Capture to take a NEF/RAW image from start to finish. And he gets into
and explains each function of both programs in great detail, and how to use
each. He uses his own images to explain how and what he is doing to take
what already looked like a great photo and make it better. He explains
curves and the histogram, and lots of other stuff in plain English so just
about anybody can understand it.

He also get into flash photography quite heavily, so if you have any of the
Nikon flashes it's a great source of information.

Included are some sample curves you can download, and a few other things --
lots of charts in Excel. He even reviews other software programs, besides
Photoshop, and what they can do for you.

If the D70 has any weaknesses he brings them out, so you don't have to find
out on your own, and gives you ways to work around them.

The only drawback to the book is I really wish it was in print form.
However, being on a CD it makes an excellent reference since you can easily
search for anything you want.

I definitely learned a lot more about my camera and its functions, and will
hopefully be taking better images for it. Again, he does not tell you how
to take a great photo. He tells you how to capture a great photo with your
D70 and make it the best image it can be. Just read a good book on
Photoshop and you're pretty much covered, however it was surprising what he
was able to do with Capture.

Old March 2nd 05, 06:06 PM
Brett Wheeler

Thank-you for the review. That sounds like what I was after when I
got the book I referred to. I'm especially interested in his
discussion on flash photography. I got the SB800 and a SB600 and plan
on getting one more 600. The interaction between the flash and the
camera is so flexible as to be a little confusing. I'm getting it on
my own (slowly) but would like to read some discussion on practical
application.
Old March 9th 05, 09:50 AM
Hein

"Sheldon" wrote in message ...
"Brett Wheeler" wrote in message
Thank-you for the review. That sounds like what I was after when I
got the book I referred to. I'm especially interested in his
discussion on flash photography. I got the SB800 and a SB600 and plan
on getting one more 600. The interaction between the flash and the
camera is so flexible as to be a little confusing. I'm getting it on
my own (slowly) but would like to read some discussion on practical
application.

I don't have either flash, so I kinda breezed over the info, but there sure
was a lot of info there, from using the internal flash to setting off banks
of external flashes.

What's the name of this book and where can I get hold of it?