Macro lense suggestions

Old February 23rd 05, 03:51 AM
Don

Default Macro lense suggestions

Folks

I wish to start on a project that will involve taking shots of insects
gathering nectar from Australian native plants (bees and the like as well as
butterflies, bugs & birds). Main body is to be a 20D supported by a 10D. I
have extension tubes and lots of good L glass but no dedicated macro lens.
Canon would be my preferred choice but I have no problem with other brands
if they do the trick. I am told that Tamron makes a nice macro around the
80mm mark? Any ideas hints and advice would be most welcome.

regards

--
Don From Down Under

Old February 23rd 05, 04:04 AM
grenner

Tamron makes a 90mm macro and it has been around for about 20 years. I
first had one with a Minolta XG film camera and currently use a Canon mount
one with my Digital Rebel. It is an excellent macro lens. Canon also makes
a 100mm macro which is nice. For the best photos you should stick with a
straight macro as opposed to a zoom lens with macro.

Greg

Old February 23rd 05, 04:10 AM
Fyimo

I had had the first version of the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro for a long
time and it's hard to beat. It's an excellent macro lens and an
excellent 100mm lens which is a 160mm f2.8 lens on your camera bodies.
I'd also look at the Canon 50mm macro lens.

Art

Old February 23rd 05, 04:24 AM
Skip M

"Don" wrote in message
Folks

I wish to start on a project that will involve taking shots of insects
gathering nectar from Australian native plants (bees and the like as well
as butterflies, bugs & birds). Main body is to be a 20D supported by a
10D. I have extension tubes and lots of good L glass but no dedicated
macro lens. Canon would be my preferred choice but I have no problem with
other brands if they do the trick. I am told that Tamron makes a nice
macro around the 80mm mark? Any ideas hints and advice would be most
welcome.

regards

--
Don From Down Under

The Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro is an excellent lens, well worth the price of
admission. I'd show some images to you, but the site where I posted them
has sunk beneath the waves...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old February 23rd 05, 04:36 AM
Don

Folks, thanks. It would appear to be a toss up between the Tamron and the
100 Canon. Does anyone know as to whether the Canon twin speedlight
(MR-14X) will fit the Tamron?

regards

Don

Old February 23rd 05, 05:19 AM
Sam

hi don
also have a look at the canon mp-e65mm macro f2.8
i have heard that it produces great photos

sam
www.digitalcity.net.au

Old February 23rd 05, 09:01 AM
Tumbleweed

"Don" wrote in message
Folks

I wish to start on a project that will involve taking shots of insects
gathering nectar from Australian native plants (bees and the like as well
as butterflies, bugs & birds). Main body is to be a 20D supported by a
10D. I have extension tubes and lots of good L glass but no dedicated
macro lens. Canon would be my preferred choice but I have no problem with
other brands if they do the trick. I am told that Tamron makes a nice
macro around the 80mm mark? Any ideas hints and advice would be most
welcome.

There's an excellent comparison between the Canon and the Tamron at this
site:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/can-tam-macro/
Basically they are pretty much on par.
The Canon 65mm is outstanding and offers 1.5x mag - but it's twice the price
(
Don't be tempted by shorter focal lengths - you need to keep a reasonable
distance from the subject to get good lighting (and avoid scaring the
subject away!). Th canon 50 is good but needs tubes to achieve 1:1 and is
getting a little too short. (too close to subject)
There are 150 and 180 macros around.

Old February 23rd 05, 09:30 AM
Don

Thanks

most informative.

regards

Don

Old February 23rd 05, 12:05 PM
Hils

grenner wrote

Tamron makes a 90mm macro and it has been around for about 20 years. I
first had one with a Minolta XG film camera and currently use a Canon mount
one with my Digital Rebel. It is an excellent macro lens. Canon also makes
a 100mm macro which is nice. For the best photos you should stick with a
straight macro as opposed to a zoom lens with macro.

To which I'll add a recommendation to play around with both of these
lenses before choosing between them, as while the optics are of
comparable quality they handle quite differently.

--
Hil