monitor calibration on unlimited pc?

Old August 29th 09, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
james

Default monitor calibration on unlimited pc?

I believe monitor calibration software outputs a .icc file. Is this a
standard file format?

If I calibrate my monitor with a paid software, can I use a free software
LUT loader to load the .icc file at startup?

This is because the paid software has a license limit of 3 computers, and I
would like to calibrate my friends' monitors.

Old August 29th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 08:48:06 GMT, "james" wrote:

I believe monitor calibration software outputs a .icc file. Is this a
standard file format?

If I calibrate my monitor with a paid software, can I use a free software
LUT loader to load the .icc file at startup?

This is because the paid software has a license limit of 3 computers, and I
would like to calibrate my friends' monitors.

Even if your friend's monitor is the same make and model as your own
it is likely that aging and other factors will cause it to require a
different ICC calibration from your own monitor.

You could try temporarily transferring your friend's monitor to your
computer so you can calibrate with a licensed copy of the software.
But unless you and your friend are using a digital connection for the
monitor, you will probably have to correct for the differences in the
errors in the analog part of the signal path.

I suggest you read the license terms carefully. It may be that if you
uninstall the software from one of your computers you can then install
a copy in your friend's computer. Even that not be entirely helpful.
There is frequently sufficient drift and other changes in the monitor
and the monitor's environs to require regular recalibration. The
easiest answer may be to buy another copy of the software.

Eric Stevens
Old August 30th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
lebouef

A calibration profile is specific to the computer/video card/monitor and
settings in effect at the time of calibration. Any change in parameters,
even a video driver update, renders the calibration inaccurate. Monitor
brightness drifts over time and, actually, during every session of use, but
really not that much for a reasonably new LCD panel.
Software calibration per se, like the applet that comes with Photoshop, is
worthless.
The several hardware calibration devices I have used do not limit the number
of computers you can install the software on and use it to hardware
calibrate the attached monitor.
If you are using an LCD panel hardware calibration is not straightforward
because of the need to carefully adjust brightness/contrast to get
approximate WYSIWYG color prints on the first try that are not too dark.
If you are able to tune the RGB values of your monitor using a calibration
device you may be surprised how un-neutral your grey has been.

Old September 1st 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

james wrote:

If I calibrate my monitor with a paid software, can I use a free software
LUT loader to load the .icc file at startup?

I believe so.

This is because the paid software has a license limit of 3 computers, and I
would like to calibrate my friends' monitors.

Would argyll run with your hardware?
http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/ArgyllDoc.html

-Wolfgang
Old September 2nd 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
james

If I calibrate my monitor with a paid software, can I use a free software
LUT loader to load the .icc file at startup?

I believe so.

This is because the paid software has a license limit of 3 computers, and
would like to calibrate my friends' monitors.

Would argyll run with your hardware?
http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/ArgyllDoc.html

Thanks. This looks interesting will try it out.