Filter Systems

Old December 30th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
M[_2_]

Default Filter Systems

I have a Canon EOS 400D with the following lenses:
17-55mm (58mm diam)
80-200mm (52mm diam)

Ive been looking at Lee and Cokin P and Cokin Z series filter
systems.

Im wondering whether the Lee system is the only one which I can use
more than one filter on a wide angle lens (20mm)?

Im also wondering how either system allows you to correctly aling the
graduation to the object line (eg landscape/sky boundary)?

Thanks

Old December 30th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gautam Majumdar

M wrote:

I have a Canon EOS 400D with the following lenses:
17-55mm (58mm diam)
80-200mm (52mm diam)

Ive been looking at Lee and Cokin P and Cokin Z series filter
systems.

Im wondering whether the Lee system is the only one which I can use
more than one filter on a wide angle lens (20mm)?

Im also wondering how either system allows you to correctly aling the
graduation to the object line (eg landscape/sky boundary)?

For the lenses that you have Cokin P-system with standard holder (4 slots)
should be OK. I get vignetting with the standard holder only when use 10-22
lens from 16mm downwards. No vignetting occurs with Canon 17-85 or Sigma
18-125 at their widest focal length. Cokin Z-series will allow you to use 4
filters even with 10-22 lens.

--
gautam
Old December 30th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
M[_2_]

On 30 Dec, 18:47, Ray Paseur
wrote:
M wrote in news:c383757d-768a-45a5-bc8f-
:

I have a Canon EOS 400D with the following lenses:
17-55mm (58mm diam)
80-200mm (52mm diam)

Ive been looking at Lee and Cokin P and Cokin Z series filter
systems.

Im wondering whether the Lee system is the only one which I can use
more than one filter on a wide angle lens (20mm)?

Im also wondering how either system allows you to correctly aling the
graduation to the object line (eg landscape/sky boundary)?

Thanks

I've pretty much given up on-the-camera filters, except for polarizers. *
Here is a suggestion on graduated ND filter techniques in Photoshop. *This
is one area where postpocessing gives you great control over the final
result. *

Shoot a RAW image, using an exposure setting that averages the largest
possible area of the scene. *Open the RAW image twice, once correctly
exposed for the sky and once for the landscape. *Place the two images into
the layers of a new image file. *Mask, erase, adjust transparency, etc., to
bring out the desired exposure results. *You can fit your ND filter effect
with great precision!- Hide quoted text -

THanks. I havent tried photoshop; Ive just moved from film to digital.
Have you previously used film and filters?
Rgds
Old January 4th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve Dell

I have the Lee system and I'm pleased with it. I do get a bit of Vingetting
with my 12-24 Tokina when I have the hood pulled open.

It's a bit of a monster but the quality is great. you can spend a heck of
lot less money on the Cokin with the P series converter.