Nikon User to Canon help me I'm slipping...

Old April 21st 05, 05:06 PM
Richard Favinger, Jr.

Default Nikon User to Canon help me I'm slipping...

Hi all,
I have been a Nikon user since my first SLR an N70 (Film), I am a semi pro
photographer. My main body now is the Nikon F100. I am looking to make the
switch to digital. Not being digital is killing my business.

I have some Nikon pro glass, 24 2.8; 50 1.4; 60 2.8 Macro; 85 1.8; 80-200
2.8 S... I am prepared to eat it, as it where, and switch to Canon Digital.
So are there any Nikon users out there that have made the switch to Canon
and are happy for it, and would do it again? Hey, I switched to Mac, and now
could care less about M$.

I can't help but feel that with even the release of the D2X, Nikon is STILL
behind Canon, and the D2X didn't even get off the ground right. What are
your thoughts on this?

Am I going to burn switching to Canon, or am I really better off just riding
it out with Nikon. Going to Digital, Canon or Nikon, will be a major
investment for me. So I'd like thoughts on people who may have switched.

Rich
http://www.favingerphotography.com/

Old April 21st 05, 05:21 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Richard Favinger, Jr. wrote:

I can't help but feel that with even the release of the D2X, Nikon is STILL
behind Canon, and the D2X didn't even get off the ground right. What are
your thoughts on this?

It's hard to find indications that the D2x isn't *better* than the Canon 1ds2
in almost every respect, other than high ISO noise.

UPS says my D2x is out for delivery and arriving sometime today. I'm not
interested in switching; as a personal preference I like Nikon cameras better.
Though I do have more glass than you listed, used Nikon glass commands
excellent prices on eBay, so it wouldn't be *that* much of a loss (I see
lenses regularly sell for only slightly under the new price), but I can't
see any reason to switch -- unless you really do want Canon's high-paced
product release schedule. I'm willing to wait for Nikon, since they tend
to get it right when they finally get around to it.

--
Jeremy |
Old April 21st 05, 05:30 PM
Todd H.

"Richard Favinger, Jr." writes:
Hi all,
I have been a Nikon user since my first SLR an N70 (Film), I am a semi pro
photographer. My main body now is the Nikon F100. I am looking to make the
switch to digital. Not being digital is killing my business.

I have some Nikon pro glass, 24 2.8; 50 1.4; 60 2.8 Macro; 85 1.8; 80-200
2.8 S... I am prepared to eat it, as it where, and switch to Canon
Digital.

As a Canon user since I started, with the glass you have, there's no
way I'd advise you to jump over to Canon.

Get thee a 20D and get busy!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old April 21st 05, 05:34 PM
RSD99

"Richard Favinger, Jr." asked:
"...
I can't help but feel that with even the release of the D2X, Nikon is STILL
behind Canon, and the D2X didn't even get off the ground right. What are
your thoughts on this?
...."

First:
Nikon buys it's sensors from (I think) Sony. Sony is a large, diverse
supplier of electronic components, and ... as such ... Nikon will *not*
have a hugh amount of product leverage with them.

Canon has made the investment in the (very expensive) technology and
semiconductor processing equipment, and makes their own sensors. Since they
own the sensor plant, Canon's camera group will have a hugh amount of
product leverage.

IMHO: This is a *big* one ... what it means is Nikon is dependent on Sony
(or some other vendor), while Canon controls their own destiny. The end
result, Canon just seems to be "a generation ahead" of Nikon in the key
component ... the image sensor. This probably will not change in the near
future.

Second:
Canon figured out twenty years ago that their existing manual lens mount
would not be adequate for the coming generation(s) of cameras ... cameras
that include autofocus, image stabilization, and all of the other really
neat things we all now want. They "bit the bullet" and completely
redesigned the lens and lens mounting system to be what they thought they
would need. They suffered "in the marketplace" for a while, but have
introduced cameras and lenses that many consider to be the best ever
available, and now are on a marketing high point because of making the
change twenty years ago.

Nikon is still trying to patch-together a workable modern lens and lens
mounting system. This probably will not change in the near future.

Third:
Nikon is a (relatively) small optics and photographic company. They have
made many excellent to superb products throughout the last fifty years or
so. However, the company's resources and assets are (relatively) limited.

Canon is a hugh conglomerate, and manufacturers many products. By
comparison to Nikon, the company has very substantial resources and assets.
Included in those assets are several "cash cow" product lines that can
internally provide the financing for developing better cameras, sensors,
and lenses.

"Richard Favinger, Jr." then asked:

"...
Am I going to burn switching to Canon, or am I really better off just
riding
it out with Nikon. Going to Digital, Canon or Nikon, will be a major
investment for me.
...."

IMHO: Canon is the better bet ... both short term or long term.

YMMV

Old April 21st 05, 05:45 PM

Richard Favinger, Jr. wrote:

I can't help but feel that with even the release of the D2X, Nikon
is STILL behind Canon, and the D2X didn't even get off the ground
right. What are your thoughts on this?

I don't know why you believe that "the D2X didn't even get off the
ground right." It's a superb piece of machinery. It's been very well
reviewed. What's not to like? Are you worried about 12 vs 16 Mpix,
sensor size, or what?

Am I going to burn switching to Canon, or am I really better off
just riding it out with Nikon. Going to Digital, Canon or Nikon,
will be a major investment for me. So I'd like thoughts on people
who may have switched.

Why would you want to switch? I don't get it.

Andrew.
Old April 21st 05, 06:32 PM
Sheldon

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"Richard Favinger, Jr." writes:
Hi all,
I have been a Nikon user since my first SLR an N70 (Film), I am a semi
pro
photographer. My main body now is the Nikon F100. I am looking to make
the
switch to digital. Not being digital is killing my business.

I have some Nikon pro glass, 24 2.8; 50 1.4; 60 2.8 Macro; 85 1.8; 80-200
2.8 S... I am prepared to eat it, as it where, and switch to Canon
Digital.

As a Canon user since I started, with the glass you have, there's no
way I'd advise you to jump over to Canon.

Get thee a 20D and get busy!

I have to agree. With all that great glass how much would you lose making
the switch vs. what you would gain?

Old April 21st 05, 09:05 PM
Douglas

[...]

I was totally Mamiya and Nikon in 2002. I bought my first DSLR in 2003 (A
Fuji - Nikon in drag). I bought this because of the lens compatableity but I
kept using film because the output sucked from this camera. A friend loaned
me his 10D the second week after they were released and I bought one a few
days later. The rest is history.

I now own Canon DSLRs exclusively. By far the nicest is the 1D Mk II but I
use a 20D a lot too. To be honest, I can't tell much difference between the
"L" series Canon lenses and my old Nikon stuff but I can tell a huge
difference in the quality of my work. Would I do it again?

Given the results I've seen from my client's Nikon cameras... I'd go Canon
again in a hearbeat. My one regret is that I bought Sigma glass to save
money. When I sold it on the way to 'L' glass, it was worthless. By far the
most useful lens I have is a 24~70 f2.8 'L' series. Not quite prime stuff
but with the right RAW converter, no one would ever know.

Doug
http://www.technoaussie.com