Nanofilm Ultra Clarity on Canon lens

Old August 25th 04, 11:59 PM
Terry

Default Nanofilm Ultra Clarity on Canon lens

I have a question regarding cleaning a Canon lens. I have the G5 plus
telephoto and wide angle lenses. Also Canon 10 X 30 IS binoculars. I
wanted to know what is good to clean a fingerprint or water spot from a
lens. Binoculars.com, a very reputable company, recommended Ultra Clarity
by Nanofilm. (see www.nanofilm.com). I tried the stuff on the binocs & on
the wide angle lens. Both times a streaky film formed on the lens which was
difficult to get off. It looked like oil on water, but dried on. Canon
suggested trying a droplet of water on a lens cloth (I use premium quality
lens tissue) & that removed the film. I asked Canon if I might have ruined
a lens coating. They replied that I should not worry about it if I do not
notice a difference in picture quality, because there is no easy way to
tell. I contacted Nanofilm who replied to me immediately. They are
unfamiliar with the problem and wanted information about what type of
coating Canon uses.

Both the binoculars and camera seem to be OK. Does anyone have any light to
shine on this subject? Thanks in advance for real help with this.
--
Terry
Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.

Old August 26th 04, 02:58 AM
Jerry

First get yourself a Canon Cleaning Kit.
It comes with an air brush, cloth and tissue.

No the film will not be rubbed off.
If you see what appears to be a bald spot on the lense and will not even out
again then yes you have taken the coating off.
Not to worry though there is always others out there to buy.

Good Luck,

Jerry

Old August 26th 04, 09:33 AM
JustPassinThru

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:59:19 -0400, "Terry"
wrote:

[...]

I have the perfect solution for you (pun intended). Go to
www.sciplus.com and order an 8 oz. bottle of "Rexton Optyl-7"
optical media cleaner (for only $3.95). I've run into the same
problem you have with some high-priced optics cleaning products. On
a whim I thought I'd order a bottle of this Optyl stuff. It has
never failed me yet and has never damaged anything I've used it on.
The first time I used it was to clean up a filmy mess that some
other lens cleaner had made (like you described), it was the only
solvent/cleaner I found that was able to cut through their crap.
Divvy-up the 8 oz. bottle into smaller applicator containers (I like
the empty long-nosed glue applicator bottles that you can get from
hobby-shops for this purpose), it'll last you forever. 1 or 2 drops
is all you'll ever need on any lens. I always keep a couple extra
small bottles of this stuff in my camera bag and give it to those in
passing. (When I find something excellent, I share it.)

Old August 26th 04, 07:28 PM
Jem Raid

"Terry" wrote in message
[...]

A rich amateur astronomer had a telescope made and kept interferring with
the manufacturing process, after the lens had been cast he noticed that
there was a bubble in it, he was assured that it would make no difference.
When the instrument was installed they asked the astronomer to look through,
take his time and tell them what he thought, brilliant he said with a
delighted smile.

They then took him to the top of the scope to see the lens, and there he saw
that they had stuck 1/2 a dozen postage stamps to it, they removed these and
asked him to have another look, no difference.

The story would have been entirely different if the bubble or part of a
postage stamp was at the exit rather than the object lens.

Jem

Old August 27th 04, 03:18 AM
Terry

I removed all stamps from all lenses. I still have the film to get rid of.
Nanofilm has been great about this, updating me and contacting Canon for
any information about the the chemical make up of lens coatings. Canon
either through ignorance or arrogance is uncooperative.